GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 19, 2024, 03:19:00 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contrib map repository  (Read 5746 times)

illwieckz

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • illwieckz is looked down upon.
    • gg.illwieckz.net
Contrib map repository
« on: August 16, 2016, 03:19:05 pm »

Hey guys, I'm impressed to see how awesome this games is going to be, and very impressed by the very big popularity you got these days (hey, my server get 1000 players per day!), you deserve it!  ;)

I know there is many contrib maps somewhere on the internet, some are probably GE:S 5.0 compatible.  :)

I'll would be very happy to make a contrib map repository. I'm not sure if my servers can manage the load with such popularity, but in the worst case, I can put files on widely known download servers, and make a directory, ensuring the links works, and keeping backups to reupload them if needed.  8)

There is many forum thread about contrib maps, but many links are dead now. Also, I previously downloaded some maps while playing on some 4.2 server but sometime it lacks some resources, (probably because the .res file was not ok) and source-engine asset organisation is a mess (too bad there is nothings like pk3), so the better way to properly distribute maps is to properly get them from original authors.  :)

Also, I would be happy to host a perfect dark themed goldeneye server (see this thread) with everything from goldeneye except perfect dark maps, I'm sure that some of these thousands new player will enjoy it !  ;D

If people are interested in this project, you can write a comment there. If I make this contrib content repository, I will probably mark the content with useful tags (like “goldeneye”, “goldeneye_classic”, “perfect_dark”, “nightfire”, “fun”, etc.).

Just one thing to say: if I make a map repository, I need to be able to repack the files if needed, I mean remake the archive for example, rename the archive according to a predefined nomenclature. I don't want users of my repository having to deal with rar, 7z, zip, txz or some other format, and don't want to serves archives plenty of useless Thumbs.db, desktop.ini or .DS_Store junk. So I need the right to repack the file, clean the junk and if needed add some metadata (like author, version, license…) to be able to automate processing and properly tag the data, to give users the best experience, so content makers must be ok with that. :-)

[Edit: I also need properly written .res file so server admin will get autodownload working out of the box just unzipping files.]
[Edit: These rules will apply on my repository too.]

What do you think about it?  :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 10:51:00 pm by illwieckz »

illwieckz

• Agent
    • gg.illwieckz.net
Re: Contrib map repository
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 04:23:36 pm »

Well, I just discovered this repository: http://files.ges-stats.com/maps/  :o
So the job is already done. I don't know why I haven't found this repository before, since I'm looking for something like that since more than one year.  ???

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 04:40:36 pm »

I was about to post that but I see you found it yourself. It's a bit hard to find since you have to scroll all the way down through the stats page and read the tiny text... Oh well.

We're still working on getting the stats page updated.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 06:03:37 pm »

Some maps might still need updates for 5.0

As for the entity stuff, this won't be an issue since it doesn't change CRC, but if models, textures, scripts, soundfiles or other stuff has to be added it either could be packed into the bsp (changes CRC) or provided as seperate download with .res files.

Also there might be some thirdparty mappers willing to update their map themself (i'll surely update my stuff when i find the time).
So it wouldn't hurt to reach out to them and ask if they will fix their maps.

I'm sure it would be very helpfull if some ppl would take a look at these custom maps ingame and provide a buglist.

Some mappers will fix the stuff themself, some might give at least their source files to someone willing to fix and ofc. some won't react at all.
For the last case we still can decide what to do about it, when it becomes clear.

But first of all we need to know which maps need fixes.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 06:10:28 pm »

So far, three maps (to my knowledge) have been tested in 5.0 and are functional, both of my maps, and void by E-S.

illwieckz

• Agent
    • gg.illwieckz.net
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 09:49:21 pm »

Right after installing GE:S 5.0 on my server, I added the ge_archives_classic and ge_train_cy maps, with the right res file alongside. But when I load the map ge_archives_classic on the server and try to join the server, the client autodownload the map fine but disconnect from the server saying something like "the bsp differs from the server" or something like that, by the way, the maps are the sames on server and client side since the client autdownloaded it from the server (and the client was a fresh install), and another strange thing is my client can now start a LAN games with that autodownloaded map so the download seems complete.

So, I don't know what is happening, but being able to load a 4.2 map locally does not mean a server can host it.

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 10:35:12 pm »

ge_archives_classic was included in 5.0 with the official release, don't add it again.

illwieckz

• Agent
    • gg.illwieckz.net
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 11:09:48 pm »

Oh ***, you mean I overwrote it? ^_^

So, I reextracted the server zip file so I probably fixed the bug. :-)

I will try the ge_train_cy map to see if it works. :-)

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 05:59:08 am »

I will update my maps (funhouse, train) when I'm back from vacation ... which is right now 8) haven't see the sea for 17 years and it's great
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 02:58:23 pm »

I will update my maps (funhouse, train) when I'm back from vacation ... which is right now 8) haven't see the sea for 17 years and it's great

ah awesome Cy :) hope you have a lovely trip and we look forward to your return
cant wait to play Funhouse on V5.0 :) it will be sooooo good

illwieckz

• Agent
    • gg.illwieckz.net
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 03:41:16 pm »

I was about to post that but I see you found it yourself. It's a bit hard to find since you have to scroll all the way down through the stats page and read the tiny text...

In fact I never use this stat page…  ;D
I found the link in one of the so-many threads I opened while looking for maps, it was in one of the newer post of topic I had already read before.

By the way, I loaded the train map on my server and I have seen all players downloading the assets and playing, but myself was unable to join (and my http server never seen my own http request for content). It looks like autodownloading is another stuff that is broken since 5.0 for wine users (the 4.2.4 release was working great without issues, no crash, no obvious rendering issue, no autodownload issue…  :-\ )
Pages: [1]   Go Up