GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:57:37 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Details about character description  (Read 4182 times)

Zaichata

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Zaichata has no influence.
Details about character description
« on: December 09, 2009, 05:27:28 pm »

Hello all, this is my first post.
I've had this mod for over a year now, bur i've only today played it again after a few months.

I've come here to remark that Valentin Zukovsky, when you select him at team select, is listed as fat and short, well he might be fat, but he is not short.

http://www.celebheights.com/s/Robbie-Coltrane-176.html

Celebheights, a fairly reliable source for celebrity heights, lists the actor that played Zukovsky, Robbie Coltrane, as 6'1", and in the movie, you can also see that he's maximum  inches smaller than Pierce Brosnan. It's weird that Zukovsky is falsely described in the game but right on the wiki?

Other errors on the wiki (and possible also in the game):
Alec Trevelyan (Sean Bean) is 5'10.5", not 5'10"
Natalya Simonova (Izabella Scorupco) is 5'8", not 5'6"
Xenia Onatopp (Famke Janssen) is 5'11.5", not 5'11"
Boris Grishenko (Alan Cumming) is 5'9.5", not 5'9"
Jaws (Richard Kiel) is 7'1.5", not 7'2"

I know this are little remarks, you could even say they are irritating and unimportant remarks, but i'm a guy who cares about the details tbh :p Most of the faults are just a half an inch, although Natalya Simonova is listed two inches too small.

(i hope this is a contribution of some sort)

Zaichata

• Agent
Re: Details about character description
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 06:21:38 pm »

Summary of the faults in the game itself:

Boris Grishenko is listed as 6'2" -- he's 5'9.5"
Jaws is listed as 7'2" -- he's 7'1.5"
May Day is listed as 5'11" -- she's 5'8" max
Zukovsky is listed as short -- he's 6'1"

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 07:16:07 pm »

At the moment all player models are the same height in game excluding hats. This is because the default player height in Source is 6ft or 72 inches

Hopefully in future versions of the mod they will work on different player model heights... it is possible but will take a lot of hard work. There will probably need to be custom animations for each different height as well as recoding for character specific weapon origins, hitboxes, hat height and a different height perspective for oddjob and jaws.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

EMH Mark I

• Earthworm Jimbo
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • EMH Mark I is working their way up.EMH Mark I is working their way up.EMH Mark I is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 07:28:39 pm »

I think I read somewhere that the plan is to keep all player heights the same in future mod versions to keep things fair, and not give different characters unfair advantages over others.   

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 09:08:39 pm »

The primary reason is that we are using Valve's skeleton so that we can use HL2's character animations because we don't have many animators on staff.  Since the characters all have to fit the same skeleton, we can't deviate in size very much or the animations won't fit. 

That said, we can change the listed character heights in the menu, although I dunno about those half inches.  Who uses half inches anyway? 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 09:12:31 pm »

Nobody uses half-inches. Round them up.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 10:03:54 pm »

celebheights.com just sounds fucking creepy

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 11:35:44 pm »

I have been in 2 movies and one Bollywood..  they don't know my height...
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 01:18:23 am »

The character descriptions have all been modified or completely rewritten to meet GES standards, and both the height and inches are in the metric system as based upon my research. However, the height listed in the description box is simply for show, all character models are 72 inches.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Zaichata

• Agent
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 09:45:47 am »

I know, I think we got off on the wrong foot. I didn't say you should remodel them accordingly to their height, just change the description so it's correct.

And I do count in half inches because we use the metric system where i come from and half an inch is 1.25 centimeters which is something, right?

But that doesn't take away that some heights were completely wrong.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 07:38:30 pm »

Thanks for taking the time to point these things out! The team will take it on board and likely amend our figures based on a meeting-half-way principle. The .5 inch thing is for sure too anal for us to do :P

Zaichata

• Agent
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 08:07:09 pm »

Allright, well if you don't include the half inches, you still made these in-game faults

Boris Grishenko is listed as 6'2" -- he's 5'9.5"
May Day is listed as 5'11" -- she's 5'8"
Zukovsky is listed as short -- he's 6'1"
Pages: [1]   Go Up