GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 10:13:07 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Break a Leg Achievement (DISCUSSION)  (Read 6012 times)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Break a Leg Achievement (DISCUSSION)
« on: August 15, 2010, 03:44:53 am »

Is the break a leg achievement too difficult / convoluted?

Post your thoughts. How can we make this better?

"Kill 50 people with only leg shots (killed with > 50% health)"

The description might be a little misleading. What it means is you need to take at least 50% of the player's max health value away using only shots to the legs and bring them to death.

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
Re: Break a Leg Achievement (DISCUSSION)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 03:59:41 am »

I actually farmed the achievement with a bunch of OWS guys the first day beta 4 came out so I can't speak from true experience, I think you could lower it down to 25 kills and it would be much easier for newer players to get.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 04:04:07 am »

On a side note, now that we have excellent data to work off of from WnX HLStatsX I am realigning some of our achievement goals so that they fall better on this list:

http://www.ges-stats.com/hlstats.php?mode=achievements&game=ges

Basically (Secret Agents) shouldn't be near the bottom, but near the middle, so I am adjusting the amounts required for those that are. Also, some achievements are simply just too hard to get like Break a Leg and Through The Fire and Flames. So I am investigating how to fix them to move those near the middle. Not to mention that "You Can't Win" has been fixed in v4.1

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 04:21:43 am »

When I first saw the criteria for Break a Leg I thought it seemed excessive... 'cause it is.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 02:10:38 pm »

Since most weapons do barely any damage on leg hits I trained myself to try it only with the silver PP7 or the moonraker laser - especially helpful if there is a door or some glass between you and your victim.
Any other attempts are bound to fail since even new players knowing nothing about the crosshair will eventually kill you sooner or later while you're trying to shoot their legs only - or they'll be closing in on you because they don't hit you making you shoot their waist by accident.
That stated: yes, it's kinda tedious and I've got Scaramanga's Pride along with Shaken, But Not Disturbed (00 Agent) in a MWGG match way before Break A Leg (I'm actually not even sure if I've got it yet).
I propose: having other conditions like "just hitting" a leg but since it's "payback time" playing Valentin shooting Bond. Would make it easier because it's just to hit but at the same time it's a little more tricky (not as tricky as now, of course) by having additional conditions.

EDIT:
It's sad the WNx Page show only those achievement tracked by their own servers and after Beta 4. Since I've got most stuff before Beta 4 and Scaramanga's Pride and Shaken, But Not Disturbed on another server it makes me sad I'd have to do these all over again if I wanted them to show up on the achievement tab. (I guess these two are the most difficult to obtain along with Domino Effect)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 02:26:57 pm by coolDisguise »

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 02:59:54 pm »

Break A Leg is pretty much a counter-productive achievement. In all honesty I have never once killed someone with only leg hits, and if I did it was when they had already been damaged by someone else meaning it didn't count anyway.

I earnt it by knifing AFK people in the legs.

Perhaps it could be changed to just finishing people off with leg shots, rather than taking 100% of their health by leg shots you've made... at least that way it's actually earnable and doesn't involve spending an unreasonable amount of time playing the game wrong in order to achieve it.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 03:14:09 pm »

It's sad the WNx Page show only those achievement tracked by their own servers and after Beta 4. Since I've got most stuff before Beta 4 and Scaramanga's Pride and Shaken, But Not Disturbed on another server it makes me sad I'd have to do these all over again if I wanted them to show up on the achievement tab. (I guess these two are the most difficult to obtain along with Domino Effect)

You don't have to reearn them (shouldn't at least). WnX reads the achievement progress string when you connect to their server which should update all your achievements instantly (synching if you will). If not, then BadPlayer needs to talk to me haha.

Perhaps it could be changed to just finishing people off with leg shots, rather than taking 100% of their health by leg shots you've made... at least that way it's actually earnable and doesn't involve spending an unreasonable amount of time playing the game wrong in order to achieve it.

So are you saying the "finishing shot" has to be to the legs? I can accept that, although the number required will increase since this is a significantly easier objective (compared to the previous one).

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 05:16:27 pm »

Alright, just tested it and my profile got updated! :-)
I've got to admit it's been some time since the last I played - back then the server only tracked achievements accomplished there.

terps4life90

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 02:49:56 am »

i think this achievement needs to be reworked, it's kind of hard.

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 106
  • WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!
    • Euphonic.dev
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 04:56:26 am »

I think this achievement should be entirely removed. This isn't an achievement that anyone would get through normal play (I'm one of the most active players on GE:S and I've only got 4/50). People don't aim for the legs for obvious reasons, and this achievement is awarded for exclusively aiming at the legs.

On a side note, does the penetration achievement work? I haven't gotten a single kill yet toward that.

Also I think the "through the fire and flames" achievement should be lowered to 500x instead of 1000x, but obviously that is more of a personal thought.

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 04:00:18 pm »

Chances are it (Domino Effect) works, although it's terribly difficult. Having you enemies lined up won't happen that often, having a piercing weapon, too, will happen less likely. Your enemies having about the right amount of hitpoints each...you get it.
Of course you could play teamplay modes more often and chose maps with rather narrow corridors and stuff you can shoot through but your enemies can't if they haven't got the right weapon yet.

Seems this achievement encourages really large samples of playing sessions to put the expected value where you want it to be. But I'm fine with it as long the achievement registration has no flaw.

EDIT: 22/50 on Break A Leg
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 04:06:51 pm by coolDisguise »

RobbeR49

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • RobbeR49 has no influence.
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 02:24:29 pm »

I've had double penetration kills a handful of times, but so far have failed to earn Domino Effect. You should only need to accomplish it once to trigger the achievement, right?

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 04:31:44 pm »

It's a broken achievement.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 11:54:27 pm »

I think it should be something more fitting, like shoot someone who's falling, so they die from world damage when they land.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 12:21:00 am »

I think it should be something more fitting, like shoot someone who's falling, so they die from world damage when they land.

For break a leg, yes VC. For domino effect, no.

At proxy, I think it works as I remember testing that one in game....guess I will test it out later when I get back from vacation.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up