GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 06:40:56 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: closing doors  (Read 8914 times)

double0killa

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • double0killa is looked down upon.
closing doors
« on: March 25, 2009, 12:01:09 pm »

my question is will you guys add the close door feature. In the original, you could close doors behind you as you went in. This added strategy because if you was running for a vest and someone was chasing you, you could gain a extra second or 2 by closing the door behind you.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
Re: closing doors
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 12:25:33 pm »

I believe doors closing is just a mapping option, not game.

Don't know the official view of being able to close doors, but custom maps can have toggle doors.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 01:44:05 pm »

I know that some people hate it.
Not sure what the dev consensus is.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 02:21:19 pm »

Clearly our consensus was NOT to include it. It was in facility for a while, but we realized that it left the level very closed and claustrophobic so we opted to even remove some doors to improve the flow of the game. With people spawning all over the place, it doesn't really matter if you horde yourself into a room anyway.

Although this convo reminds me of how annoying OPENING swinging doors is. Valve's implementation determines the direction to open the door based on which side of the hinge you are on. So if you are on the hinged side of the door, it will always open towards you, whereas if you are on the non-hinged edge it will open away from you. I will see if I can improve their routines by simply using normal vectors (which they should have done ANYWAY) for Beta 4 because opening swinging doors pisses me off to no end
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:23:43 pm by killermonkey »

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 08:45:06 am »

i wish the swinging doors worked like actual swinging doors so we could just walk through them and not even hit an open or close button. but i got a feeling that would be a pain in the ass to do in source.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 08:55:07 am »

i could code that up. Shouldnt be to hard

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 08:58:59 am »

swinging doors without a key should be easy, just have em have a trigger a foot or so infront of door, so when you hit the trigger it opens the door. only problem would be door in like hallways, so as you walk through the hall you might start to open door as you roll through.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 12:30:41 pm »

Bump is already a trigger event anyway. Just the direction needs consideration.

What about making a door re-trigger if it is within 10% of closed?  That would help Temple out where unless you throw yourself under a closing door you wind up being parked behind it for five seconds waiting for it to fully shut, +use, and re-open.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 02:27:33 pm »

i think i could make ture swinging doors thst repeat the swing with a decay each time, have to wait till i get home though

Daisy-Fan

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Daisy-Fan has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 02:42:40 pm »

i guess you guys talking about Ge_archives doors right?

eamonn

• Secret Agent
  • eamonn has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 05:26:16 pm »

Where are these swinging doors I keep hearing about?

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 06:35:10 pm »

Where are these swinging doors I keep hearing about?

They aren't yet. If you read the thread more carefully...

They would be a nice implementation, for sure and would come in handy in many situations.

eamonn

• Secret Agent
  • eamonn has no influence.
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 10:34:56 pm »

i wish the swinging doors worked like actual swinging doors
Spider, to me, seems to be talking about swinging doors that are already there.

double0killa

• Secret Agent
  • double0killa is looked down upon.
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 02:14:52 pm »

the doors im referring to are in the temple and the stack. the doors that open vertically. the swing doors in the original (basically the doors in the archives, facility) you could close but they opened back up so quickly, there was very little strategy involved in it. However, in the temple and stack, the doors that opened vertically, if your running for a vest and close those doors behind you, the other person would have to reopen them, thus you might get a chance to reach the vest without dying. especially in the temple. the doors opened so dam slow if you close it behind you, no way could the other person open it back up in time to kill you before you got the vest.

117KAMI

• Agent
  • 117KAMI has no influence.
    • [117] KAMI
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 07:08:06 pm »

the doors im referring to are in the temple and the stack. the doors that open vertically. the swing doors in the original (basically the doors in the archives, facility) you could close but they opened back up so quickly, there was very little strategy involved in it. However, in the temple and stack, the doors that opened vertically, if your running for a vest and close those doors behind you, the other person would have to reopen them, thus you might get a chance to reach the vest without dying. especially in the temple. the doors opened so dam slow if you close it behind you, no way could the other person open it back up in time to kill you before you got the vest.
I haven't been playing GE:S that long but I tried to close a few doors behind me and couldn't and got kinda frustrated. Now, I can see that if you guys tried it out on a map like facility and say that it's just not worth it; I'll take your word for it. (though i may still disagree without seeing it for myself  :P)

However on Temple, Stack, and Egyptian I think it is so necessary. Temple is nice because it takes a while to open and close which can give you a big advantage running away or doubling back behind. Stack and Egyptian are, I think, essential to gameplay. The doors don't fly open and close, but it was fast enough that you could hide, slow down your pursuer, and even vanish if someone didn't see you. If someone runs by a door that is wide open, they know where you went and now you're being follwed.

I played too much goldeneye, still do. I know this is an old post and maybe you guys have made up your minds, but I have to make my case.

It's just so much a part of the game. Even on all the other maps as well. Even when the door closes too fast (as it seems to be stated), it's vital for throwing or firing explosives at an enemy and being able to close a door while they burn and you stay protected. Rather then have to try to run away because they'll just chase you. Now you've trapped and burned them to death. I mean, c'mon!

I hope there is still a possibility that being able to close doors will be brought into the game. At least on Temple, Stack, and Egyptian. I urge you all to bust out the 64 and slip a rocket under a closing temple door, or slip unnoticed into an Egyptian passage way. Didn't you even stand in a doorway while someone runs towards you only to watch them realize there are mines all around them. Then as they try to punch it in through to the door you slam it closed, quarantining them off in a fiery concrete box?
grenade launchers in the complex
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up