GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 07:52:59 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Displacements and Lighting Issue  (Read 5369 times)

RogerMooreSucks

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.
Displacements and Lighting Issue
« on: May 30, 2016, 05:36:34 pm »

I have encountered an issue on my snowblind level. For some odd reason every time i put light entities near my displacements it creates some line where each displacement ends and starts. I have a few pictures to show you what it is doing, maybe someone has an idea on a work around on this. I had to take out the light entities to fix it hence why my map was dark in the trailers i posted due to not understanding how to fix this. Here are the screenshots I took of the issue:

http://imgur.com/dXcqSQe

http://imgur.com/ZE8oCy7

http://imgur.com/yqPYtI5
Troy, get back on that treadmill

Torn

• Level Designer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 169
  • Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!
Re: Displacements and Lighting Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 07:53:16 pm »

This is an issue of the lightmaps not lining up with eachother, which can be (usually) corrected by making sure the 2 displacements in question first have their vertices aligned, then aligning the textures. If the vertices are not aligned (IE: you have 1 displacement that is much wider than the other) the lightmaps won't line up and this is the result.

Alternatively, playing with the lightmap scale itself will sometimes mask that effect.
Official Releases: Dam / Egyptian
Community Releases: Quake - E1M7 / Blockfort

RogerMooreSucks

• 00 Agent
  • RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 09:23:49 pm »

This is an issue of the lightmaps not lining up with eachother, which can be (usually) corrected by making sure the 2 displacements in question first have their vertices aligned, then aligning the textures. If the vertices are not aligned (IE: you have 1 displacement that is much wider than the other) the lightmaps won't line up and this is the result.

Alternatively, playing with the lightmap scale itself will sometimes mask that effect.

Big thanks Torn :D. i will try that out.

MultiplayerX

• HACKER! / Indie Mapper / Half Life 2 Scientologist
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • MultiplayerX has a powerful will.MultiplayerX has a powerful will.MultiplayerX has a powerful will.MultiplayerX has a powerful will.MultiplayerX has a powerful will.MultiplayerX has a powerful will.MultiplayerX has a powerful will.
    • Code Legends
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 11:17:57 pm »

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it. There are maps in gesource that have misaligned textures etc but have been TWEAKED to where they are barely noticeable. This is a HALF LIFE ENGINE limitation and nothing I would lose sleep over  8)

P.S.   map looks good dewd   ;)

RogerMooreSucks

• 00 Agent
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 11:48:03 pm »

The issue has now been fixed. Thanks Torn.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 11:52:35 pm »

Awesome!  :)

Torn is correct, unlike brush geometry where lightmaps are mapped to world tangent XY space dispacement lightmaps are mapped to the displacement's lightmap UVs are clamped to the displacement vertex positions along projected face normal of the brush face(s) you built the displacement from. Displacement faces from the same brush are also considered to be in the same smoothing group - which is something to keep in mind also if you're using advanced techniques with displacements.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer
Pages: [1]   Go Up