GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 16, 2024, 12:37:38 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tdm_1138arena_v1  (Read 7442 times)

TriDefiance

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!
tdm_1138arena_v1
« on: January 01, 2013, 08:15:34 am »

Well, I finally began construction of my very first map, and as of today I'm releasing the Alpha version!
This map has a close quartered theme, and a whole bunch of fragging! Updates are sure to come with this map! :)
(Please leave constructive criticism!)

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?x9bblv4vvrggvui

Map Overview:

Spawn Points for Janus and MI6:

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
Re: tdm_1138arena_v1
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 09:05:31 am »

From the images it looks really good

i like the first image captures the feel of the old Nintendo 64 Multiplayer Level from The World is Not Enough Labiyrinth (well the hedges remind me of Labyrinthe and also the construction site beta level which is only acess by Gameshark)

liamcadhain

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 11:19:44 am »

Looks like a neat little map, nice one Tri. I'm not sure how it would fare with a large number of players on it at the same time though but maybe it's meant to be suited for smaller team DM's. Good work though at any rate

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 12:55:10 pm »

Hmm... it's a start.
Now learn more about mapping and improve yourself.

Things that should be fixed:
- texture scale much to big on some walls, most noticable in the complex theme room.
- overall lack of detail
- very plain and bad lightning
- map layout doesn't offer much cover
- map is unsuitable for most gamemodes
- no Vertical gameplay at all

If you seriously wanna to learn mapping, i'd suggest you to get in contact with an advanced/pro mapper who's willing to be your mentor.

TriDefiance

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 05:00:05 pm »

Hmm... it's a start.
Now learn more about mapping and improve yourself.

Things that should be fixed:
- texture scale much to big on some walls, most noticable in the complex theme room.
- overall lack of detail
- very plain and bad lightning
- map layout doesn't offer much cover
- map is unsuitable for most gamemodes
- no Vertical gameplay at all

If you seriously wanna to learn mapping, i'd suggest you to get in contact with an advanced/pro mapper who's willing to be your mentor.

I'll certainly fix these issues as I start learning a bit more. I had some help from E-S but most of it was trial an error. I know it's not the best map, but I'll be improving it :)

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:22:46 pm »

I just had a quick runaround in your map, And noticed a few textures we're not only out of scale but unaligned as well, And door textures are sticking out when open, As well as the flaws kraid has pointed out.
But this is normal of course, It's your first time playing around hammer and it takes time getting used to, Everyone has to start somewhere. Let me give you a few starter tips.

-I suggest you use this current map as a test file, So you learn the ropes around as you play with this, Then when you think you've acquired sufficient knowledge, Start a new map from scratch and use all your knowledge into building it.
-Make your doors smaller, They seem to be about 40 units thick, That's pretty big, And it's the same size than the wall, Thus making the texture stick out as I pointed out earlier, Try to proportionate doors with the scale of the walls more appropriately.
-Use light_spot entities over simple 'light' entities, They are much less overly bright are give an overall better feeling.
-Do a small room outside the map with differently sized brushes and play around the texture tool so you get a hang of it, And while you're at it, Play around with lighting/shadows and the lightmap scale.
-Focus on smaller brushes as well so your map doesn't look too "Cubical".
-Use env_cubemap entities all around your map.
-Learn about prop placement, I'd say start off with lamps and wall lights, So your main lighting doesn't come out of nowhere.
Pages: [1]   Go Up