GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 10:38:02 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on Beta 3?  (Read 23233 times)

Bissrok

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Bissrok has no influence.
Re: Opinions on Beta 3?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 03:27:24 pm »

I didn't play for too long last night, but two problems really stood out for me:

1) Your weapon automatically switches when you pick up something. Or maybe it's when you pick up something more powerful. Either way, kind of annoying in a fight. Especially since new guns come with only a partial clip in them.

2) When selecting a server, I can only see two at a time. I also didn't see any way to sort them by mode, but I wasn't looking too hard for it.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 03:34:08 pm »

I didn't play for too long last night, but two problems really stood out for me:

1) Your weapon automatically switches when you pick up something. Or maybe it's when you pick up something more powerful. Either way, kind of annoying in a fight. Especially since new guns come with only a partial clip in them.

2) When selecting a server, I can only see two at a time. I also didn't see any way to sort them by mode, but I wasn't looking too hard for it.

You can deselect auto weapon switching in the Options menu, under Multiplayer Advanced, I guess.

As for the servers, check if you don't have any filters configured. That might limit the number of servers that appear on the screen. If you don't have any filter configured, then there is something wrong, because there are like 15 servers running BETA 3 already (since last time I played, i.e. this morning). If your server problem persists, try reinstalling (make sure you keep your gamestate.txt, in which the achievements are listed, along with their progress).

Hope it helped!

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 03:44:28 pm »

there 50+ servers now lol

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

PPK

• PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 03:49:21 pm »

there 50+ servers now lol

Hehe, I only find like 20. but that's probably because of my location. I find the ones that interest me the most, i.e. the ones where I have the best ping.

Storm101

• 00 Agent
  • Storm101 has no influence.
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 04:22:23 pm »

There should be another automatic weapon switch setting which only switches if the weapon you picked up is more powerful. I died because it auto-switched out a grenade.

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 04:30:22 pm »

I died because it auto-switched out a grenade.

Man, that was some bad luck.
This auto-switch feature should be changed in the next patch, I think, in order to work more like the way Storm101 said.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 06:16:05 pm »

The auto switch looks at the weapon weights that are assigned. If you switch from grenade to knife, that would be a bug. I suspect you picked up an RCP-90 which is obviously a better weapon.

Good players DO NOT PLAY WITH AUTO SWITCH ON. That's a hint...

Storm101

• 00 Agent
  • Storm101 has no influence.
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009, 06:20:38 pm »

Err, I switched from Shotgun to Grenade. But you're right, it's better if it's off anyway.

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 06:52:54 pm »

Good players DO NOT PLAY WITH AUTO SWITCH ON. That's a hint...

The first thing I did once I fired up BETA 3 was turn the auto-switch off. It is an annoyance, at least for me.

Meliadoul2k

• Pretty Gangsta Myself
  • Secret Agent
  • Meliadoul2k has no influence.
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 07:11:29 pm »

I am going to feedback on your feedback from the programmer's perspective by point:

1. You can turn off the radar for yourself no matter what the server setting is (with exception to MWGG and two man YOLT when it is forced on for gameplay reasons). Just go to the OPTIONS menu then click MULTIPLAYER, then ADVANCED OPTIONS in the lower right. It's one of the check boxes.

2. There is a "good enough" enemy avoidance spawn code in place already. This is entirely coded by me in house and is not in any other game. The problem lies in the fact that you are playing on maps designed for 16 players MAX, with maybe 20 spawn point locations. To do a 100% assurance that you will not spawn next to someone would be extremely computationally expensive. So, as with almost everything in the video game world, we cheat a little bit and choose four random spawn points and then choose the one with the LEAST number of enemies within 512 inches of the spawn point. When you up the players, it becomes almost impossible to find a "safe haven" so sorry, this won't be ever be fixed 100%.

3. We have plans for hit location HUD graphic, it didn't make it for Beta 3 and IMO is not that important with a lower player count. Even with a pointer to your enemy, on cradle it would be very hard to determine where they are anyway since its so far away (small angle locally for large changes in absolute position)

1. It defeats the purpose though. Turning off your radar would put you on a major disadvantage to every other play in the arena. I like the idea of if you have your radar turned off other players cannot detect you on theirs.

2. So the problem lies with the maximum amount of players rather than the code itself? Sounds fair. Then for the final release I'd suggest player caps on all levels. If there are more spawn points then maximum players then there would be no chance of spawn camping.

3. It may not affect many people but it certainly affects me. If I don't know where I'm being shot from I mine as well run blindly in any direction. I am glad that you decided to add it to later releases.

kalit

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 09:58:10 pm »

This new release is fantastic, thank you very much!  The only main complaint I have (besides radar, which would be server side, are there any servers that has radar disabled?) is that it seems like the weapons and armor (especially the armor) respawns too quickly.  I know that servers could probably set it to take longer, but most servers are just going to stick with the default setting. 

The weapons is sort of iffy because if there are a lot of players in a game, it would be good to have a faster respawn time.  But for armor, you can just stay near it, and pick it up every time so you have constant armor (assuming you don't die of course).

The thing that I love the most is the random weapons, it makes for an interesting game each time!  Also, are you planning on making more maps for future releases?  All of the maps that I have played are fantastic!  Also I'm glad that it keeps the Goldeneye gameplay feel, instead of feeling like new FPS games, which I really don't like too much.

[GoldenGirls]Bea Arthur

• Agent
  • [GoldenGirls]Bea Arthur has no influence.
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 10:29:15 pm »

I do believe that the weapons and armor respawn time are defined in the loadout file. The delay can be set to any amount.

I am looking forward to some of the custom content created for this, actually!
Though playing on Cradle is really effing fun, especially since it wasn't an original MP map. :D

kalit

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2009, 10:37:13 pm »

Though playing on Cradle is really effing fun, especially since it wasn't an original MP map. :D

It was if you had a gameshark!  Although the game ended up crashing a lot, haha.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2009, 10:46:54 pm »

There are two ways to configure respawn rates.

Default is Dynamic Respawn, which will scale times from 35 to 10 seconds, based on player count. More players, faster item spawning. There is a second scaling factor which can tweak that further.

If you turn Dynamic off, you instead have fixed respawn times, which defaults to 10.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2009, 10:48:24 pm »

It was if you had a gameshark!  Although the game ended up crashing a lot, haha.

And getting some really low framerates.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up