GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:21:49 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does GE:S work with Mac, since Steam is cross-platform?  (Read 13020 times)

agolden

Does GE:S work with Mac, since Steam is cross-platform?
« on: June 23, 2010, 09:39:05 pm »

Does anyone know if Goldeneye Source will run on a Mac, since Steam and Orange Box now exist for OS X?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Does GE:S work with Mac, since Steam is cross-platform?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 09:54:38 pm »

NO. It has to be compiled for the MAC and Valve has yet to release the SDK for the Mac

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 12:13:18 am »

Although, as much as KM will kick and scream it will be available for Mac pretty sharpish after the tools are released :P

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

Tux9656

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 11:11:58 pm »

You could trying running the Windows version of Steam under Wine.  This is what I do on Linux.  Works great.

little 00

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • little 00 has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 11:50:31 pm »

You could trying running the Windows version of Steam under Wine.  This is what I do on Linux.  Works great.
maybe you could explain how to use it in Linux been trying now and again and GE:S runs but not well enough to play with PC Linux OS and when i try to test run GE:S off line wine crashes and to restart i have to restart Linux what distro. do you use?

Let the source be with you (Goldeneye source)

Tux9656

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 05:18:43 pm »

First of all, gaming under Wine on Linux works best if you use a nVidia card, GeForce 6000 series or better.  ATI may or may not work as ATI's Linux driver has limited OpenGL functionality.  If you have some other card such as Intel integrated graphics, I wouldn't count on it to work.  Also note, you need an x86 based computer (normal PC / Intel Mac) if you use a nVidia graphics card as the nVidia driver only supports this platform.

I am running Debian 6.0 testing and use the latest wine (1.2-rc7) compiled from source.  It should also work with the latest stable version of Debian 5.0.  If you try Debian, after installing Debian, follow these steps.

Install the lastest Linux driver for your graphics card (recommended) or install the Debian package.
Create a directory inside your normal (non-root) user's home directory called "src"
Download the latest wine source (.tar.bz2 file) from www.winehq.org into the "src" directory.
Open a terminal.
Enter "su" to switch to root.
Enter "apt-get update" to allow the package manager to know what packages are currently available.
Enter "apt-get build-dep wine" to install build dependencies for wine.
Enter "exit" to go back to the normal user.
Enter "cd ~/src" to change to the "src" directory.
Enter "tar -xjf ./wine-1.2-rc7.tar.bz2" or change this to use the proper file name to extract the source archive.
Enter "cd wine-1.2-rc7" or change this to use the proper file name to change to the wine source directory.
Enter "./configure" to configure the source for building.  This may show a few features being unavailable but this should be ok.
Enter "make" to build wine from the source.
Enter "su" to become root again.
Enter "make install" to install wine.
That's it.  Wine should now be installed.

These directions should also work for Ubuntu and many Ubuntu/Debian based distributions.  You may have to use "sudo" instead of "su" to root.  However, I am not sure about that as I only use Debian.  This general procedure also works for other distributions.  You just have to replace the "apt-get" commands with those appropriate for your distribution.  Also, if the frame rate is choppy, try using the lowest graphics settings in-game.  I hear that using anything other than bilinear filtering will kill your frame rate, so use bilinear.  I hope this helps.

little 00

• Secret Agent
  • little 00 has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 04:21:54 am »

Ty for your support will try asap
and PC Linux OS use of Debian and another i cant remember

Let the source be with you (Goldeneye source)

RogerMooreSucks

• 00 Agent
  • RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 12:55:31 am »

I laugh at people who buy macs for gaming LMFAO. Worst decision you could ever make.
Troy, get back on that treadmill

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 02:18:07 am »

I laugh at people who buy macs for gaming LMFAO. Worst decision you could ever make.

considering Windows 10 is being released and you cant downgrade from it
im suprise alot of people arent turning to Mac

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 10:52:06 pm »

Gaming on Linux is awesome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up