GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 19, 2024, 10:36:23 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: GoldenEye: Source Release Roadmap  (Read 56940 times)

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
Re: GoldenEye: Source Release Roadmap
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2016, 11:06:56 am »

Is there not an improved engine based off of Hammer out there somewhere? For example, the Dark Mod GTK Radiant engine is vastly improved over the original that came with Doom 3 and can be downloaded as a standalone.

EDIT: Something like this?

http://sledge-editor.com/

It's an open source replacement for Valve's Hammer editor... So you guys could even make new additions yourselves.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 11:11:03 am by markpeterjameslegg »

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2016, 01:36:48 pm »

EDIT: Something like this?

http://sledge-editor.com/

It's an open source replacement for Valve's Hammer editor... So you guys could even make new additions yourselves.
From the looks of the website, it is focused on Goldsource  right now, and no work will be started on Source till the previous work is done.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2016, 02:13:31 pm »

Source 2013 would offer a few neat things like multicore support (broken in 2007) and compatibility with Mac and Linux.

So unless Valve releases Source 2 in the near future, source 2013 is still the best option we have.

There are a few thirdparty additions like the shader editor and some ppl experimenting with defered rendering, but AFAIK they are all based on source 2013 and are still worked on.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2016, 11:22:53 pm »

Really the best solution is to get off of Source engine entirely since it is a hot mess. Unity or Godot would be my prime choices if we were to have started the mod from scratch today.

Imagine being able to play GE:S on your cell phone!?!?!  Yah I just imagined it and it was awesome.

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2016, 01:39:14 am »

Really the best solution is to get off of Source engine entirely since it is a hot mess. Unity or Godot would be my prime choices if we were to have started the mod from scratch today.

Imagine being able to play GE:S on your cell phone!?!?!  Yah I just imagined it and it was awesome.

is it possible to port the maps and characters/models into Unity?

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2016, 03:22:38 am »

I just imagined it.  I got my butt kicked because I did not have a keyboard and a mouse.
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2016, 05:46:04 am »

I'm 100% with this. I've dealt with codebases that span back to 1992 C code (was working for a CAD company) and it was more readable then a lot of the stuff in Source.

Why Unity though? I think we'd be much better off with UE4, since it allows for modding support/community maps. Once everything is baked in Unity, it's not changeable.

Actually, yes. While this would have been an impossible task before, the Wall Worm Model Tools allow you to import entire Source maps into 3DS Max, where you can easily bring them into another engine, like Unity. Developing that was sponsored by Robert Briscoe so he could port Dear Esther to Unity since Source licensing sucks. Ironically, he got hired by Valve.

http://www.littlelostpoly.co.uk/dear-esther-unity-how/

I'd like to open more discussion about this, especially from leads like KM, E-S, and Luchador. 4.3 is being developed on a dead-end branch of a dead-end game engine. Source 2013 is a C++ clusterfuck. Basically, this mod still has potential, a future, and a dedicated developer base, and the Source Engine has none of those things. Our map/art assets are state of the art thanks to our current batch of mappers/artists, and would look incredible in a modern engine that could do them justice. Our gameplay is fun and solid and would be awesome in an engine that didn't have shitty netcode. Etc.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

kraid

• Game Artist
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2016, 07:20:00 am »

Allmost everything is possible.

Just recently i found a tool that converts vmf to fbx and there's also HammUEr which is meant to be used to transfer stuff between Hammer and Unreal Engine 4.
Not sure how good it works, haven't tested them yet.

Edit: oh yes, i forgot WallWorms Tools (since they are 3dsMääxx only) and primary meant to assist with Source Level creation.

As for Models and Characters, that would be even easier then getting them into Source, because all the newer engines import and export generic exchange formats such as .fbx and .obj that can be used with nearly every 3D app on this planet.
(one exception: CryEngine still uses its own import pipeline)

I think we discussed about switching engines more then once.

My two cents: the grass is always greener over there - until you get there and recognize it has dry spots as well.

So let me compare a few things i think Source has advantages in:

Hammer is an easy to use bsp Level editor, allmost every noob can create a map with it. (might not be a good map, but still something)
Other Engines like UE4 and Unity rely allmost completly on models.
So without modelling skills, you can only use existing assets, buy some from the asset store or spend the next few years with learning a 3D software.

GES has seen a lot of thirdparty map releases in the past and eventually will have some more in the future.
I doubt this would have happened if the game ran on UE or Unity.

From what i know, most of the guys behind these maps have little or no 3d modelling knowledge.

Also Source has a rather open file structure that allows adding and editing of content, while the other engines tend to compile/cook everything into big Packages.

In the past, this has been an advantage for the community several times.
For example when complex had the "skywalk" issue or spawnpoints were stuck in level geometry, a simple entity editing fixed these issues e.g. by adding a stack of prop_dynamic crates in complex and by moving the spawn points locations a little.
Or when there were new additions to the gameplay like token spawners, old thirdparty maps could be updated with the new entities, too.

Another, possibly very subjective thing, i simply like the Source look&feel.
Don't want to go to much into detail here, but overall i think Unity often feels hollowed, Unreal sometimes too.
Source makes me feel as if it is more solid 90% of the time.

Last but not least, not directly an advantage of source, more a disadvantage of UE4: Loading times.
Since i also use UE4 sometimes, this is something that bothers me a lot.
Opening up a project takes several minutes for me, no matter if i use Laptop or Desktop PC.
In Hammer i would have allready mapped the first room before UE4 is even loaded completly.

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2016, 01:49:13 pm »

What about the gameguru engine? the upgraded one from FPSCreator?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2016, 02:22:00 pm »

Why Unity though? I think we'd be much better off with UE4, since it allows for modding support/community maps. Once everything is baked in Unity, it's not changeable.

Have you seen Cities: Skylines mod community ?? I have been editing a mod for it so far and it is amazing what you can do after the game is "baked".

The thing I don't like about Unity is that it is _VERY_ bare bones, they rely on their store to provide a lot of the basic functionality in the games. Not necessarily a bad thing because it is a very diverse set of tools, but it raises the bar to become equivalent to Source. I'm looking at you lack of networking code.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2016, 06:30:04 pm »

My biggest concern with doing any switch is actually the "Feel" of the game.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2016, 07:17:22 am »

Oh, and then there is this..

http://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/details/

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2016, 08:15:32 am »

kraid

• Game Artist
    • my Homepage
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2016, 07:56:25 pm »

No fbx import, no deal.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2016, 11:15:11 pm »

sounds like their fbx import is broken, but that they are working on it
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up