GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 03:08:48 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few minor issues in Caverns  (Read 3095 times)

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
A few minor issues in Caverns
« on: August 12, 2012, 12:37:59 pm »

I'm getting a very low framerate in Caverns from the place where the radio to contact Jack Wade is, Whenever I look in this direction, My framerate drops to 30'ish, 20 if the server's filled up, Which is pretty unusual for me in a Source game, I tried turning AA off, But no good results. I know the map's ultra sexy with HD grafx, But maybe I'm not the only one, So I'm wondering if it's either bad optimization or it's my PC that just can't handle the map.

A very small leak which causes the HOM effect when you look into it

And a few collisions errors whilst wallstrafing, Here's a video of it.

Again, Those are very minor issues, But I thought I should tell you guys about it, The lesser bugs, The better.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
Re: A few minor issues in Caverns
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 03:51:14 pm »

I tested it a moment ago, it gives me arround 60 fps when i look down that corridor.
That's lower then on other places of the map, but still a good framerate for me.
(Laptop: Acer Apire 5742G, Intel core i5-460M, 4GB DDR3 RAM, nVidea Geforce GT420M, Win7 Pro 64bit)

It's obviouse that there is a difference on this, because half of the map needs to be rendered from this view.

While i wouldn't say that the map is badly optimized, there's always something that can be done to increase performance.

For now all you can do is lower your settings, turn AA off and reduce AF to trilinear, turn off HDR and maybe even lower model/texture detail level.
Also it helps to disable "dynamic lights on explosions" and "heat wave effects" in the advanced multiplayer options.

In combination with a high lightmap resolution (2 or 4), these effects are able to cause a huge framedrop whenever they occure.

A few suggestions if you're going to post about performance issues again:

use net_graph 1 to display your fps
It's also a good idea to post your PC specs

and for things like the nodraw:
use cl_showpos 1 to display your position within the map, otherwise the mapper possibly won't find it.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 04:02:30 pm »

Another great thing to post a picture of is the budget, which is a detailed view of how many milliseconds the game is spending on each task per frame :

sv_cheats 1
+showbudget

You can adjust the show budget window using budget_[COMMAND] commands

use -showbudget to hide the view

example:

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 04:31:48 pm »

Never knew about +showbudget!
The FPS was displayed by XFire at the top left corner, But anyway, I have turned off AA, AF to Trilinear and HDR to none, Results are ~45FPS with no players around.

My specs are :
Intel Q8600
4GB RAM
ATI Sapphire 5670 1GB

And here's the position where the leak is.

Pages: [1]   Go Up