GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 10:45:45 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Adjustable Health Levels  (Read 9863 times)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: Adjustable Health Levels
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 05:04:42 am »

You're speaking in indefinite terms.  You define the handicap and implement it with Python.  You need to figure out what your system will be and how it will function and be impractical to exploit.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 106
  • WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!
    • Euphonic.dev
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 07:19:29 am »

My goal would be to have the server operator set each player's handicap level individually. I could easily do a gameplay that would set dynamic handicaps based on performance (ie someone who has a 1:16 KDR would get a higher handicap then someone with 16:1) but that would simply make all the scores even out over time since someone doing well would be punished for being in the lead making scoring pointless. So my main problem is: how would one allows a server operator to easily set individual handicaps for each person w/o a plugin?

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 09:58:21 am »

How about having a leveling system like in GunGame?

Every player will start on the same level.
Each level will require a higher ammount of kills to be reached (lvl2=1kill, lvl3=2kills,lvl4=3kills).
The higher your level, the less health* you'll have.
(*maybe instead of having pickup armor, the player could start with armor in low levels)
BUT on a higher level you'll get a score multiplier, so killing someone on lvl1 would give you exactly 1 point while killing one on lvl(n) will give you 1x(n) points.
When dying you'll also lose a level.
Killing with slappers or knife could give you an extra level.

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 12:11:51 pm »

Kraid that sounds AWESOME. And should be official.

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 02:35:53 pm »

but that would simply make all the scores even out over time since someone doing well would be punished for being in the lead making scoring pointless.

Isn't that the whole point of handicapping? (stares at the wall in disbelief)

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 03:06:24 pm »

Code: [Select]
def OnPlayerSpawn(self, player, isFirstSpawn):
playerName = player.GetPlayerName()
if playerName == 'Viashino' || playerName == 'BigBird':
player.SetHealth( int(GEGlobal.GE_MAX_HEALTH / 2) )
if playerName == 'KM':
player.SetHealth( int(GEGlobal.GE_MAX_HEALTH * 2) )

Thats the only health leveling needed around here :P Next?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 03:09:01 pm by Doc.NO »

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
  • WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!
    • Euphonic.dev
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 05:05:36 pm »

Code: [Select]
def OnPlayerSpawn(self, player, isFirstSpawn):
playerName = player.GetPlayerName()
if playerName == 'Viashino' || playerName == 'BigBird':
player.SetHealth( int(GEGlobal.GE_MAX_HEALTH / 2) )
if playerName == 'KM':
player.SetHealth( int(GEGlobal.GE_MAX_HEALTH * 2) )

Thats the only health leveling needed around here :P Next?

Hahaha.

How about having a leveling system like in GunGame?

Every player will start on the same level.
Each level will require a higher ammount of kills to be reached (lvl2=1kill, lvl3=2kills,lvl4=3kills).
The higher your level, the less health* you'll have.
(*maybe instead of having pickup armor, the player could start with armor in low levels)
BUT on a higher level you'll get a score multiplier, so killing someone on lvl1 would give you exactly 1 point while killing one on lvl(n) will give you 1x(n) points.
When dying you'll also lose a level.
Killing with slappers or knife could give you an extra level.

I had been thinking about doing a gameplay where your score would be defined by your highest kill streak. (So if you killed 7 people in a row, then died, then killed 4 in a row, then died your score would be 7 until you got a higher kill streak). Maybe I could combine that with handicaps and make it so for each kill you got, your handicap would be lowered, but it would define score based on the number of kills without dying in a row, not just total kills. And when you die, you got back to the 0th level handicap. I could also potentially have a similar thing with death streaks where it would increase your handicap.

I could easily remove the armor from the map, define max health/armor levels for each level then do a scoring thing based on killstreaks. My problem becomes do I refill the person's health and armor when they achieve a kill to the next level, or do I just leave the percent damage they have intact?

Edit: Think refilling armor/health at next level would be best since the entire idea is to get to higher levels with less armor/health. Also, I think that increasing handicap with death streaks would be bad since then people could abuse the game by purposely dying until they got a good handicap then attacking people when it's easier to get kills. If a player is stuck on the 0th level constantly dying eventually other people will get to high enough levels they're easy to take out.

Any ideas for names?

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 07:01:11 pm »

B]Any ideas for names?[/B]

A bond film. Pick one lol

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
    • Euphonic.dev
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 07:30:51 pm »

Leaning toward Tomorrow Never Dies

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 08:15:57 pm »

A view to a kill maybe?

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 08:46:15 pm »

Games where handicaps and spreads are used, ergo proven useful since they would have long been abandoned if they weren't, are simply this:

If shitty player comes within X points of winning, it counts.  This is implemented by either adding X points to the lame player's score, or allowing wagers on a bad team at least keeping it close.

Since damage modification affects the rate of points being earned, not actually how the score is tallied, you are going to turn it into Everyone Gets To Be Equally Okay no matter how you handle it.  And, a simple point handicap won't matter either because people will say "well, I really won, it's just giving him a five-frag ass-pat because he can't compete on my level."

"highest kill streak" = Camp.
Here, pretend I had posted one of the many scoreboard screenshots I have of me getting dozens-long killing streaks on cradle.  I don't have that HD plugged in right now because I don't game anymore.

It also means that if one guy gets, let's say, a 20, and the clock is run beyond half-time, why bother to play the rest of the round, when you know you just don't have time to compete with the current frontrunner?  That's the shit that made original The Living Daylights suck shit and sent it to my drawing board.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
    • Euphonic.dev
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 08:15:16 pm »

Thanks for the feedback, VC...you're right, I had been sort of lying to myself about the camping problem. Perhaps I could mix my system with Kraid's and have more points at higher levels instead of being based on kill streaks for scoring. For instance, everyone starts off at level 1, if you get a kill you get one point and move to level 2, if you get a kill there you get 2 points and move to level 3 and so forth, but your health decreases from level to level (possibly weapon effectiveness as well?). Dying decreases your level depending on the level of your killer, while killing someone with slappers/knife decreases the victim's level to 0 (or by a large amount) and gives you a boost based on what level they were.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 04:02:15 am »

Scoring potential increases semi-exponentially like that.  Cradle, again.  Do you want to turn a player who knows how to secure and defend his bucket from a 25-0 guy into a 325-0 guy?

Nerfing the weapon just makes it reverse-gungame.  Which means doing well drags you back down into "fair" territory, and the winner is the guy who happens to rack up a bunch of finishing strikes with his Klobbmode sniper rifle.  Let's say getting to 5 kills puts you at near-worthless offensive capability, that's 15 points under your scheme.  Now, if you can just hold on and KS three more guys, you have 36 points.  That's a pretty big bonus once you've reached the effective cap.

And then you have a central tendency; somewhere between -0 effectiveness and -∞ effectiveness is a break-even between scoring potential and offensive ability.  That's where everyone will gravitate, since being below that will make the game "easier" and elevate them, and being above that will gimp them until they get knocked back down.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 10:54:35 am »

Start - lvl 0 (full BA full health)
1st kill - lvl 1 (3/4 BA full health)
3rd kill - lvl 2 (1/2 BA full health)
6th Kill - lvl 3 (1/4 BA full health)
10th kill - lvl 4 (0 BA full health)
15th kill - lvl 5 (0 BA 3/4 health)
21st kill - lvl 6 (0 BA 1/2 health)
28th kill - lvl 7 (0 BA 1/4 health)
32th kill - lvl 8 (0 BA 1/8 health) and if it still makes sense:
41st kill - lvl 9 (0 BA 1/16 health)

Each death will decrease your kill count for the next level -1.
So if you're lvl 3 and scored no kill since you're on lvl 3, then you'll be put back to lvl 2 and have to score one kill to get back to 3.
But if you've allready killed 3 ppl on lvl 3 you'll remain on lvl 3 with a killcount of 2, which means you'll have to kill 2 more ppl to get on lvl 4.

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
    • Euphonic.dev
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 07:46:12 pm »

Created a quick gameplay for setting handicaps. Basically players can type !health followed by an integer +10 to - 10 (like !health -5). Players can type !list to see a list of all the current handicaps. There is a cvar health_lock which when set to 1 prevents players from changing their handicap. This is mostly for smaller servers where everyone knows eachother and is playing around, since a pub everyone would just max their handicaps.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dbx6zjhz7cpb051
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up