GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 12:57:00 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [TOOL] Mojopac  (Read 6820 times)

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
[TOOL] Mojopac
« on: September 02, 2007, 09:32:34 am »

http://www.mojopac.com/

I just found this program, and its pretty damn cool.  You run the program, and it formats your external hard drive and copies your windows installation to it.  Then you install all your games and programs in this virtual windows on your external hard drive.  Unplug your hard drive, take it to your friends house, plug it in, log in to your virtual windows, and now you can play all your games and use your programs from the external drive, but using your friends system and drivers.  It is set up so that you can switch back and forth between Mojo and the host PC in seconds. 

The reason I installed it was because I need to use a neighbors broadband to download from the svn, but I don't want to install any svn software on his computer.  Now I can just plug in my virtualized drive and update the svn just like it was my own computer, but on broadband instead of piece of shit dialup. 

I read an article about it in PC Gamer, and they said it worked fine for games since it uses the drivers from the host machine, and the game files from the external.  It is perfectly legal, and you still need any discs that you would normally need to play the game (unless you use a no-cd crack). 

One downside I've found is that some programs that deal with hardware don't work properly, like drive defragmentors.  Another is that if you need to install MS software that requires validation, like WMP 11, it won't validate.  I haven't reasearched to see if there is a workaround for this. 

It costs $45 for the full version, but there is a fully functional 30 day trial to test it out and make sure it can do what you need it to, or it you just need it for a one time shot. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 07:18:17 am by Sean [Baron] »
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up