GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:45:13 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hldsupdatetool no longer working, how to install server using SteamCMD?  (Read 26985 times)

BulletDust

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • BulletDust has no influence.

I have tried and tried to set up a dedicated Goldeneye Source server using Hldsupdatetool.exe, but try as I might it just doesn't seem to work anymore - I'm almost certain I'm doing everything right.

I've tried dropping the DS files into an existing SteamCMD configuration but the server begins to start then immediatly closes. Is there any way to get the server running under SteamCMD?

Calystos

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Calystos has no influence.
    • Gamers For Gaming

I'm somewhat curious about this issue since Valve have pushed HL2:DM, TF2, CS:S, an so on all to steampipe now. And are phasing out the hldsupdatetool completely.

BulletDust were you able to get it working via a steamcmd/steampipe based installation?

Or has anyone else attempted doing a fresh install using steamcmd/steampipe base instead of the old hldsupdatetool? Is it even possible (as-is that is) to install and run a GoldenEye: Source dedicated server based on a steampipe HL2/etc core or would the mod require a rewrite to work on that stuff now?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps

Hmmmmm.... it doesn't look like they ported over the "orangebox" game into SteamCMD.

I am going to see what I can do, I downloaded HL2 DM and TF2. I will try to build against those binaries are see what happens. The update will come with 4.2.3

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage

Project Valkyrie used TF2 as a mod base before Source SDK 2007 was released.
Back then, I bought TF2 just because i wanted to be able to play the mod.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps

I tried to recompile (success!) using the new steamcmd downloads. Then I tried hosting via the srcds_run within hl2mp and tf2 and neither one of them made any progress.

I cannot glean any information from the debug output either... it seems to be croaking before it even loads the GES server binary.

We might have to wait until they port over the Source SDK 2007 and/or orangebox.

The old orangebox still works, servers show up in the server browser. I could package up the old install and just side-distribute that as a meantime fix.

Wishful Thinking!

• Community GE:S Australia Admin
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Wishful Thinking! has no influence.
    • Wishful Thinking!

Yes, I have had the same issues. I have a clean update of CS:S with SteamCMD and went to download OrangeBox and found that SteamCMD does not support it. So for a while I was running CS:S with SteamCMD, and a separate old backup directory for GE:S. I have since stopped this due to low hard drive space, so currently I'm not running any GE:S.

Any estimation of when SDK07/OrangeBox will be ported to SteamCMD?.
..: PC Gaming & Anime | TeamSpeak 3: ts3.wishfulthinkings.net :..

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps

It's going to take a while. The changes were very extensive and we have "fixes" sprinkled throughout the Valve SDK (which btw have not been fixed by Valve yet).

I did the merge, but have not tried to compile yet. I am still cleaning up areas where files have become mangled. Once done, I will be posting our fixes to github to share with Valve. Then I will try to do something with the new code.

tg99

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • tg99 barely matters.tg99 barely matters.
    • Tactical Gaming

is there an eta on the roll out i have no idea how to place our server up now?
Signed:Media Department of Tactical Gaming,
Part of Department of Public Relations
Web: http://www.tacticalgaming.org

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps

No, Valve is rolling out updates to their base code every week. I am going to wait until they are done doing those updates until I proceed with the conversion. And even then it will take many months. I have very limited time for this mod as it is.

Darkflame

• Agent
  • Darkflame has no influence.

So this is why i've not been able to get a server up and running all night :(

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps

Here is the torrent for the full install of the hldsupdatetool orangebox edition

https://kickass.to/source-engine-linux-orangebox-for-mods-t7669153.html

Download this and seed it please. This will enable you to host GES from linux through the srcds_run script. You can unzip this into any directory you want, suggest the following directory structure:

Code: [Select]
/usr/share/steam/
   -> /gesource
   -> /gamefiles/hl2
   -> /gamefiles/orangebox

Then you can run the server with:

$> /usr/share/steam/gamefiles/orangebox/srcds_run -game /usr/share/steam/gesource +map ge_archives.bsp +ip 192.168.X.X
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:06:54 pm by killermonkey »

Darkflame

• Agent

Thanks Killermonkey, really appreciate it, the file took a few hours to download but i'll seed it for as long as i can.

I'm happy to host the file on my online file server as a download mirror if you wish, let me know :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:43:09 am by Darkflame »

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!

Here is the torrent for the full install of the hldsupdatetool orangebox edition

https://kickass.to/source-engine-linux-orangebox-for-mods-t7669153.html

Download this and seed it please. This will enable you to host GES from linux through the srcds_run script. You can unzip this into any directory you want, suggest the following directory structure:

/usr/share/steam/
   -> /gesource
   -> /gamefiles/hl2
   -> /gamefiles/orangebox

Then you can run the server with:

$> /usr/share/steam/gamefiles/orangebox/srcds_run -game /usr/share/steam/gesource +map ge_archives.bsp +ip 192.168.X.X

Since I have no class tomm, im gonna try this on the Raspberry Pi seriously this time. Thanks for making this. Will report back.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps

It might not work since RPI uses hard floats. I'd have o compile it specifically for the arm processor.

Darkflame

• Agent
Re: Hldsupdatetool no longer working, how to install server using SteamCMD?
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 10:51:07 pm »

Any chance of getting the orange box files for Windows as well?

Cheers
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up