GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 07:01:41 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SSL's Blog #1: Particles N' Stuff  (Read 4447 times)

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
SSL's Blog #1: Particles N' Stuff
« on: January 25, 2010, 03:20:45 am »

One of the large (and largly unknown) benefits of being on the Orange Box Engine as a Source mod means that we have access to Valve's nifty particle editor. This allows us to create particles ranging from something as simple as a puff of smoke coming from a gun muzzle to a several-thousand particle rain shower with water impacts and ripples. Particles really help to add movement and life to an otherwise static map. Let's take a look at some of the particles of Beta 4, with images and brief, simple explanations:

Runway Snow Drifts

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3441/gerunway0003.jpg

Puffs of snow which float across the runway, similar to what you would see if you were to drive around when it's snowing. The particle works by faing in particles at random offset points along a certain line, then they float sideways and fade out.

Basement Ceiling Leak

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7879/gebasement0006.jpg

A particle I put into basement to explain why the bottom area is flooded, and adds movement to the otherwise dark and boring area. It has a starting point with a rapidly animating water particle, and then more particles are shot out at random angles and pulled down by gravity.

Caves Rain with Ripples

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/7898/gecaves0004.jpg

This is basically a bunch of stretched white particles spawning in three different locations, then being randomly offset and being pulled down. Then, down at the water, there are a bunch of randomly placed expanding/fading ripple effects.

Rolling Explosions

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4168/gebasement0007.jpg

Everyone's favorite, this is actually several small animated fire sprites with a single large fire sprite behind them, with flecks of shit flying out and bouncing all over the place, as well as smoke that hangs around after and little env_steam entities are spawned above it as heat waves that rise from the inferno.

Hopefully all of you enjoy the new effects, its certainly been a fun experience for me to learn the editor over the past year.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 01:34:29 am by The SSL »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
Re: SSL's Blog #1: Particles N' Stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 02:53:01 pm »

Oh, and just so everybody knows, they are sex!

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 10:55:49 pm »

particles is one of the really overlooked aspects of the project, if you get the chance could you teach me some of this stuff one of these days?
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 11:04:06 pm »

The explosions impress the hell out of me. I love them!
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 05:56:30 pm »

particles is one of the really overlooked aspects of the project, if you get the chance could you teach me some of this stuff one of these days?

Me too please. We can have a 3som! yay!

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;
Pages: [1]   Go Up