GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:53:09 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What will ruin this mod?  (Read 17517 times)

nowhere

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • nowhere has no influence.
    • Janus Syndicate
Re: What will ruin this mod?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 11:31:10 pm »

They'd have to store the rankings somewhere, or else it would just be server specific. You'd level up on one server but it wouldn't transfer over to other servers unless Valve stored it somewhere. Also, then there's all the problems of how to calculate rank and there'd be no way to stop people from just going on a server with friends and killing each other until their rank went up.

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 04:37:06 am »

storing that information on valves servers wouldn't be any worse than the amount of information they currently have. i wouldnt be suprised if valve already tracked a lot of that information already for demographic purposes.

and calculating the rank would be simple, just clock the hours played per session per day, and kill to death ratio.

and it wouldn't matter if friends killed each other all day to boost their rank, the whole point is to keep a set of easy servers for people who dont play as often, and keep the more hardcore competitive players a place to only fight against the top players.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

sirtom93

• Agent
  • sirtom93 is looked down upon.
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 08:30:38 pm »

when i was playing i saw someone using speed gear and it slowed up my already slow pc. >:(

FlyBMXer4130

• Grammar Nazi
  • Secret Agent
  • FlyBMXer4130 has no influence.
    • My Face
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 04:45:33 pm »

I think what a lot of people call cheating or "hacking" is due to the server's ass-backwards settings at sometimes (WNx much?).   The way I understand it, is that it's set to (basically) one hit kills, unless you have body armor which isn't affected by a server-specific damage factor.

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 05:11:48 pm »

or it could be on LTK
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?

WNxSauron

• Agent
  • WNxSauron has no influence.
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 06:50:52 pm »

Que? The WN server is running normal DM-mode. In all its invul-time glory. Pains server has no invul-time, meaning you will die faster. But its still not LTK-mode.

EDIT: btw, our servers are currently down cause e-frag ceased all operations after 7 years in the server business. So were currently looking for a new host.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 06:54:25 pm by WNxSauron »

olileauk

• Last vestige of [L[T]K]
  • 00 Agent
  • olileauk has no influence.
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2007, 10:16:51 pm »

The reason most MP games (Like HL2DM and CS) don't have a ranking system is that it would require the company that made the game to host a server for all the rankings to be on. Could you imagine how much money it would cost Valve to host a server that held a rank for every person that played CS?

Even just right as I type this that would be hosting the rank for 164,000 people and having it accessed by the 80,000 servers currently running the game.

to be honest though, those systems exist and work - not on a multi-game scale, but in individual games. In C&C 3, you have a rank, and you can play matches again those within +-5, 10 or 15 ranks of yours. So you play agains people of your skill. now of course this isn't an RTS,  but the fact is those systems exist, and if they wanted to i expect valve could set up and keep a server or a number of servers keeping track of player ranks.

Though IMO, I'd rather play with people of all skill levels. CSS is good, IMO, because any given server can have good people and utter noobs and me sortof down the lower end, and still be awesomely good fun. I have yet to find a server full of pros where the game is no fun.
Been here since Alpha 1.1... Those were the days.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up