GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 04:46:16 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Level Designer  (Read 11683 times)

elpresidente

• trialée
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • elpresidente has no influence.
    • music i.e. - myspace
Level Designer
« on: March 27, 2008, 06:28:59 pm »

Dear GoldenEye: Source Team,

I hereby apply for a job as level designer for GoldenEye: Source. I have always had great interest in the work of your team and I would like to commit myself to contributing to your work.
I worked for almost a year as the main level designer for the Xenophobia Mod for Half-Life 2 but unfortunately the project was closed due to a lack of interest and  especially  time  by other team member. Beforehand I have created several multiplayer maps with a slightly modified version of Valve's GoldSource-Hammer for James Bond 007: Nightfire. Apart from that I also worked on maps using the Unreal II engine and I have genereally taken stock in level designing for a long time.

During my time at Xenophobia Mod, I was not getting enough input from other team members. I had to plan, design and work out most of the maps completely on my own. And it was not the extra work that I disliked. I had the impression that ideas and critiques that come from myself only are not as useful as those stated and discussed by a true team of designer. Concerning the success of your mod I believe GoldenEye: Source has got the motivating and supportive team that I am looking for. And reading through your blogs consolidates my belief.

Furthermore, apart from playing Half-Life, its add-ons and Half-Life 2 several times, I have been constantly experimenting with the GoldSource and Source engine over the last years and I do not expect my  dedication to the Half-Life games to  decrease  in the future. I wish to express this by becoming truly constructive and I believe the GoldenEye: Source project is the right place to do so.

The following URLs link to screenshots from my work for the Xenophobia Mod:

Kindest Regards
Michel Sievers

e-mail/MSN account: sievers.michel@gmx.net
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 08:39:15 pm by elpresidente »

Sporkfire

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Sporkfire has no influence.
Re: Level Designer
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 09:12:59 pm »

Interesting brushwork and lighting on that second picture. I'll vouch for you. Though I may think the rest of them team will ask for more screens from you, particualry ones with more lighting.

elpresidente

• trialée
  • Agent
    • music i.e. - myspace
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 11:13:01 pm »

First of all, thank you very much for your quick and positive response! :)

If it is really neccessary I will try to come up with some more decent screenshots, but I guess I will have a hard time searching as the Xenophobia Mod is down for a while now and the place I have posted my Nightfire screenshots at has not been maintained in months.

EDIT: I found a few pictures that show a bit of lighting I used. I have to say, though, that these are just screenshots from first idea realisations. They were just attempts to get something I had in my mind into Hammer.

and

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 11:20:50 pm by elpresidente »

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »

On your first post, i like your second and third screenshots, you deffinately know how to make complex brush work, your lighting is primitive, but im sure that those maps werent finished. I say bump

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

elpresidente

• trialée
  • Agent
    • music i.e. - myspace
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 04:54:46 pm »

Thanks and I have to agree that those lightings are quite simple. Unfortunately we stopped working on our mod before we came to equip our maps with proper lighting. Untill then I have experimented a lot with lights, though, as you can see in the second screenshot of my first post. But I'm having a hard time finding more of the old files containing lighting tests.

Ryan [Saiz]

• Retired Developer
  • Ryan [Saiz] is looked down upon.
    • My Site
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 11:39:22 pm »

I would say he has lots of potential, I would be fine with him being put on trial. But let's see if anymore mappers post.
Quote from: Loafie, Hero of Dreams
He's kind of like a tornado. He's not around all the time, but when he is, shit gets moved hahaha

fonfa

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • fonfa has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 05:20:50 am »

you obviously know what you're doing and has a lot of potential
got my vote for trial. i'd like to see what you'd come out with outside the hl2 universe. it's gonna be harder, i tell you.
[01:22 PM] fourtecks: YOU NEED ME HARD

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 05:37:56 am »

I agree too, i think you have some potential to make some good work, with a bit of criticism from the team i think you could make some pretty good stuff.

go ahead and make a new thread in the trial members section
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

elpresidente

• trialée
  • Agent
    • music i.e. - myspace
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 10:07:45 am »

Wow, I really appreciate that you're giving me a chance to prove myself.
Just opened the thread in the trial section.
Pages: [1]   Go Up