GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 16, 2024, 12:47:40 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Level Designing  (Read 12942 times)

Zeriador

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Zeriador has no influence.
Level Designing
« on: February 24, 2008, 06:07:49 pm »

Hello GES team.

I am a graduate from The Vancouver Institute for Media Arts, with a love of level design. I have been volunteering for another game in progress, so I have a general idea on how a community based game creation works.
I've had some experience with Hammer, and was in the middle of a HL2DM level when I found out about this.
My question is: Is there an FAQ around where I could read up on requirements for GES? And secondly, are there any levels that are still in need of creation?

While attending school, I created the inside of a submarine, and an Insane Asylum level.
This is my year old portfolio, please forgive the youtube quality.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3UgBwBm3sDo

And this is a WIP HL2DM map I've been working on.

And yes, it needs lighting work. :P

Thanks for your time.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
Re: Level Designing
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 06:38:16 pm »

I can tell you have nice brushwork skills, you have angles on your walls, not so much just staight 90degrees etc. You also know how to have texture variations etc, Yes your lighting can use work, but it seems to me that this is still an early WIP. We do have many open levels, they include

Basement
Dam
Jungle
Library
Statue
Train

I personally would take basement, build your layout first using simple dev textures, after you do your layout go ahead and deck out 1 room and 1 hallway, just please do us a favor and keep in touch lol, so many people apply and dissapear! I had my own version of basement just about done but the team decided to scrap it, I would recommend having goldeneye run on your nintendo (if you have one) if not download an emulater and play it in the background. If you need anything let me know!

AIM: SharpSh00tah or you can always ask on the forums

Good luck

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 06:49:34 pm »

As sharpshooter said, it looks like you know your way around. How our application process works is that one of the project leaders will bump you to trial status, and you will be given access to the trial forum.  Once that happens, you can choose one of the available maps to start working on.  We'll give you some guidelines to work with, and once you've made a good amount of progress so we can see you are serious and we like your attitude, we will bump you to developer status and you'll get full support with props, textures, and anything else you need.  As sharp said, a lot of people drop out during this process, so good luck!
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

Zeriador

• Agent
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 08:10:52 pm »

Thanks a bunch gents. My brother sold my Goldeneye copy ages ago, and it's a difficult thing to come across these days. And an emulator, the one I've got, won't run multiplayer maps, like the Basement. Unless there is something I'm missing to allow such things.

EDIT: Aha! Never mind. I've got it now. :D
EDITx2: Pertaining to the Basement Level, doesn't the Library/Stacks level that already exists have the Basement part already made? I've played both the upstairs and the downstairs. Would it not be prudent to merely copy the basement portion to a new file and then add the gates that prevent players from going upstairs?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 09:31:47 pm by Zeriador »

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 10:01:10 pm »

From the developers side, we have been going back and forth with combining all three levels together, however that would make one really big map, but we could also have all three combined and then have each indevidual map too, either way, its your call on what map you would like to recreate from the list i posted earlyer. Just let us know, do some research, dont be afraid to improvise with new roughts (IF NEED BE).

Once again dont be afraid to ask questions, infact its better to ask as many as you can so we can tell that your atleast interested haha. good luck

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Zeriador

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 10:34:15 pm »

I'm going to give the Train level a shot.
The dev textures are the solid orange ones, correct?
Which configuration do I need to start Hammer in? I know it can be copied later on, so I've started with HL2DM.
Is some level of artistic interpretation is alright? As long as it doesn't conflict with the original layout?

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 10:43:02 pm »

Train will be a hard level to recreate only beacuse its so linear, so to remedy this, create doors between each train car (each train car should have a door on the tips that connect you to the other cars like on real trains) that can bring you outside the train and in the jungle (remember when you escape the train in GE64) Those are the type of changes that are acceptable. However dont try to create a train thats in england or something lol. As for the devtextures, they are assorted, some are grey and some are orange, filter DEV in the texture browser! Assuming you get bumped to dev, you will be given all the files and will be shown how to configure it for goldeneye:source, its pretty straight foward.

Zeriador

• Agent
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 11:17:16 pm »

So the level can/should constitute an area outside of the train? I remember a majority of the train being in a tunnel. Perhaps I could incorporate that with a system of passages and rooms? And then the other half, the part outside of the tunnel, would be jungle and such.

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 12:50:04 am »

I'm going to bump you to trial, go ahead and make a new thread in the Trial Members section.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Zeriador

• Agent
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 01:50:06 am »

I'm afraid someone is going to have to point me in the direction of the Trial Member area, Either it's not working, or I'm missing something obvious, no?

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 02:17:19 am »

...I'm an idiot lol

i forgot to actually change your profile to a trial member haha you should be good now.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 06:34:07 am »

high five at john lmao

Pages: [1]   Go Up