GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 16, 2024, 02:19:36 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: really want to play  (Read 4556 times)

que

really want to play
« on: January 25, 2010, 05:44:28 pm »

hello,

specs:
windows 7 pro 32bit
8800gt driver version 186.??
3gb ram
q6600 quad core @ 3.0ghz
creative fatality usb headset w/ newest drivers
AVG antivirus (tried turning off)
direct internet/no router

i played this mod for a few weeks when it first came out and it was really fun. recently checked back on it and was pleased to see that it was still being worked on and Beta 4 is to be released soon.

here is my issue.

it seems with source based games i get major stuttering issues. in the past i remember half life 2 and more recently the l4d series having the same issues for me. actually l4d2 would stutter and crash so bad i couldnt play it. after trying all fixes (video and sound drivers, graphic settings, turn off Antivirus, memtest, page memory and basically anything suggested) it still didnt work. eventually i closed the steam overlay and bought another gig of ram. however, that same day a patch for l4d2 came out and because of all the complaints of the same thing on the forums, it magically became fixed. i dont know what fixed it for me but i believe they patched something. anyway, i played some HL2: Ep 2 last night (strictly to see how it was running for a comparison to goldeneye) and it ran pretty smoothly. i did notice the occasional frame and sound stutter but nothing to make it unplayable.

anyway my problem is that i want to play goldeneye but i really cant. the game stutters so bad that i cant enjoy it. the sound and frames stutter so bad that it feels like i am getting 10fps. my pc is perfectly capable and i should note that i can play any game (i play many) with absolutely no problems. to me this narrows the problem down to a compatibility issue with the source engine because of the current and past problems i have had with stuttering. like i said, l4d2 had major issues (it even bsod'd my pc many times) until this patch came out. and playing HL2 i still get the unusual occasional sound and frame stutter which doesnt happen in any other games engine.

i guess all i want to know is if there is anythings i can try to address this besides the usual. i have lowered all graphic settings, disable AA etc, different resolutions, sound settings etc. my first install i did manually and then i dl the exe and reinstalled. when i did that and tried reconnecting to steam it told me that steam was now running in windows compatibility and steam shouldnt be run in that mode. i didnt touch anything, just installed goldeneye and tried reconnecting to steam???? sorry for the long post but i like to give as much info as possible. i will try to update my video drivers later but nvidia site is acting strangely at the moment. i should also note that i only joined the servers with teh lowest ping so i dont think it is interweb related.

thanks in advance if anyone responds to this.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 05:34:24 am by que »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: really want to play
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 05:59:04 pm »

make absolutely sure you have no background programs running while playing the game. Also make sure you don't have an outrageous firewall system (like zone alarm) which can be rather nasty to video games.

I would also dump AVG. I did when I moved to windows 7 and have never looked back. They completely crapped that once beautiful program with their win 7 release of it. I use Microsoft Security Essentials now.

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 07:39:24 pm »

I second ditching AVG for MSE. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 07:57:23 pm »

"Microsoft Security"
Ouch! My ass, I just laughed it off.

"i am getting 10fps."
I heard that a whole lot last night.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 12:46:28 am »

"Microsoft Security"

Well, not everyone knows how to sucker-punch their viruses in the face.

que

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 05:33:39 am »

sometimes when i try opening the game up (through steam or shortcut) it will tell me the game is unavailable. i dont understand what that means. anyone know what this would mean?

do i need to have half life 2:deathmatch installed?

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 07:54:19 pm »

"Microsoft Security"

Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 08:57:28 pm »

I use "adaware" from lavasoft and "spybot search and destroy". I dont have an all purpose antivirus app running realtime. If i think I got hit with one, I do a series of checks and free scans per advice from sites like techsupportforum etc.

on topic :

you might need to re-install all things of steam and source files, and when you got it all installed again make sure to do the check integrity function for all games installed.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 09:03:52 pm »

I use "adaware" from lavasoft and "spybot search and destroy"

omfg, I havn't used that stuff since the early 00s
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 09:04:02 pm »

Stuttering is when upgrading to Windows 7. I believe it must be that your sound card is not accelerated by hardware and thus heavy CPU usage dropping you entire system to a crawl.

Sound in NT6.x is semi-realtime. So when doing 7.1 surround sound semi-realtime you are going to get stuttering sound and bad CPU performance (notice that you graphics driver itself runs on your CPU and then sends some pre-calculated stuff to you GPU that then processes the data further).

Have you tried a cheap ass designed for Vista/Windows 7 sound card or a USB headset with a soundcard in it?

My dad got this shit with various games when he upgraded from XP to Windows 7 on his laptop that had software drivers for XP ("Designed For Windows XP).

My guess is that it's your soundcard driver being able to somehow output sound but with a very crappy driver.

Maybe disable your soundcard in the BIOS and uninstall the driver and try again? If your graphics do not stutter then you should either downgrade to pre-Vista or buy a new sound card.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 09:08:09 pm »

sometimes when i try opening the game up (through steam or shortcut) it will tell me the game is unavailable. i dont understand what that means. anyone know what this would mean?

do i need to have half life 2:deathmatch installed?

Make sure hl2.exe is not open in the taskmanager (google it).

If that fails try to go to File -> Switch User

Then login again. If you can't switch user refer to the first step because you have hl2.exe still open in the background.

que

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 01:43:48 am »

thanks for the replies. i dont have time to try them right now but i will tomorrow and let you know if they helped.
Pages: [1]   Go Up