GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 06:56:39 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Laboratory 110424: On Her Majesty's Secret Service  (Read 28734 times)

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
Re: VC's Laboratory 110424: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 11:00:04 am »

It's a nice mode, but it gets tedious when you're near the end.
I played it on Siberia yesterday and clearly those large camper-friendly maps can stretch your match quite some time. I can also imagine that some smaller maps (Facility) can't be played well if there are too many players (resp. too many players of equal skill level) on the server. At least you didn't deactivate the body armor spawns.

Furthermore (but I guess that has nothing with you gamemode) we noticed a strange radar behaviour: dots indicating players seemed nearer than usual when in fact the corresponding player was still like 100 m away.

P.S.: I love your help text for this mode ^^
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:01:52 am by coolDisguise »

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 03:16:04 pm »

"Suggest you use in-game help messages to display when you get damage bonuses"

There are in-game messages.  It says PERFECT or EXCELLENT, and a guage labeled DAMAGE + appears to compliment your progress bar fashionably.  What more do you want or need?

ATTENTION, you have recevied a damage bonus.  Would you like to learn more? Y/y
Damage bonuses allow you to do more damage when you do damage.  More is better than not more.  Would you like to learn more? Y/y
More is the opposite of less.  You can't do less than normal damage in this scenario, but you can do less than more, and you will begin doing less than more if you die after you receive a damage bonus that was allowing you to do more damage than you were.  Would you like to learn more? Y/y
...I can do this all day, you know.

Because damage bonuses do not affect a player's behavior (the goal is the same and a player can completely ignore damage bonus and accuracy and still be successful) I'm not going to put on my Captain Obvious suit, masturbate, and fire sticky wads of hand-holding drivel onto my players' screens while they're in the middle of a god damn gunfight.

"it gets tedious when you're near the end"

This has always been a factor in Gun Game.  However, since you can't KS your way through the later levels and actually have to earn them, it can go a little longer.  I suggest increasing your proficiency with less-powerful weapons, and not getting killed, since that resets your progress.  I also take no responsibility for three-man being played on large, camper-friendly maps.  Tell KM to implement a player-count range feature on the map list like I told him to a shitlong time ago that would skip over small maps when the server is loaded and large ones when the server is light.

"strange radar behaviour"
Radar range is controled by a cvar, perhaps you have one in the other modes' configs that you have not added to OHMSS's.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 11:59:17 pm »

I don't understand how a gamemode that services those who are the most well versed in the mod is intended to replace one that is dedicated to the opposite.
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 12:37:09 am »

It's a teaching tool.

Would you ever learn about how much damage you do, and when you do it, from Gun Game?  Nope.  Gun Game says "emit bullets incessantly until you get lucky."

OHMSS not only shows you graphically how well you are doing, but it even pats you on the ass for using your aim button.

The ass-patting doesn't make you uncomfortable, does it?
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 12:42:46 am »

I simply feel inclined to say something is because you're claiming this is a replacement for a gamemode that it shares little with other than the basic leveling up/down premise.

The whole point of gunlame is to give lesser skilled players a direct advantage to allow them to catch up as the game progresses.  Making a skill based gamemode out a mechanic intended for the opposite is a bit silly.

I'm not uncomfortable i mean come on why would you think so I'm acting normal nothing weird here or anything *nervous laughter*
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 03:35:20 am by Entropy-Soldier »
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 05:04:42 am »

I think VC's game mode is superb.  There's too much negativity for my liking.  You guys need to remember this is his first revision and it's only going to improve.
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 08:44:55 pm »

I think VC's game mode is superb.  There's too much negativity for my liking.  You guys need to remember this is his first revision and it's only going to improve.
You're assuming VC dosen't aim for perfection from the start.

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 01:27:16 am »

I would hope he's aiming for perfection at the start.  However, everyone knows that there are problems that will be found that need to be addressed.
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

Kiihhu

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Kiihhu has no influence.
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 10:44:02 pm »

Hey, VC!

Thanks for a nice gamemode! I have nothing bad to say about GunGame but I like OHMSS because it's more challenging. But I've found a bug that I know other people have experienced as well (I can name two people). Today this happened:

I was playing in the Traitor's Gate server and the game went normal for some time. I reached the final Slappers level and was killed while trying to take the final kill. Next thing I noticed I spawned with a Sniper Rifle. That was odd, because I was way past that level. Next thing I noticed I was carrying an Auto Shotty. I'm not sure if I got it by killing someone or if I picked it up, probably the latter. Then I died and spawned with a DD44. I started to be really confused what was going on. Next time I spawned I had no weapon whatsoever, not even slappers. Soon I noticed, that the good thing was that I could pick up any weapon lying on the ground. The bad thing was that no matter how much damage or kills I did, the damage meter didn't move (I did not have Slappers to do the final kill with that, only those guns that I happened to pick up from the floor), so my destiny was to just make other people's life a little harder and wait for the round to end. I was stuck with 15 points forever. Some time went on and then another guy experienced the same bug in the same round when he got to level 15. Needless to say the round was ended by the timer.

I hope this helps if you've got the time to investigate this bug.

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 10:51:00 pm »

I'll definitely be trying this out later on tonight and give some feedback. It sounds promising. Keep it up, VC!
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!

Falko

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Falko barely matters.Falko barely matters.
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 01:12:46 am »

"I decided that Gun Game was lame, so I made it better."
I guess better mean more balanced.
But the newest players have difficulties to kill even one player on gungame and here they have to do damage streak on more than two players.
This is actually very frustrating for them.
I saw people cry to your mode.  :'(
Others carrying the same weapon from 9:00 to 0:00.
That was actually hilarious.
 ;)

From my point of view, as much as I love the klobb or the KF7, this is very annoying to have the green bar almost completed with those guns and be suddently killed by a rocket or a golden gun shot. I mean, what is the morale in there?
How are you suppose to win? It's like you are giving us an advice "Use your radar, look for green dots that are not moving, supposedly turning to red..."

An other small problem is that the gun "swap", after you complete your coloured bar, can occur right in the middle of a gun fight.
You're like "Great, I've got you, only two shots, even in the arm, and you're down!!!" *Sniper rifle swapped to shotgun on Runway* "NOOOOooo..." *Player died*.
Sure, you went to the next level... not enough for me.

Anyway, "headshots only" is a casual way to learn easily how to play (if it's still suppose to be a teaching tool, like you said).
And I don't see why it should be "gungame like" at all.
There is already problems with gungame and I believe that you add some more with this mod.
To be honest, I see many people complaining about OHMSS.

I actually like it (last time I played there was no body armor and I had the issue Kiihu described... two big problems but except that it was ok) or at least, I don't "dislike it".

And by the way, the grenades are actually better than the klobb.!!

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 01:45:01 am »

Two ways to fix the main problems from your post:

1. On death, your progress to the next level should carry over with X% decrease (convar)

2. To level up you must issue the !voodoo command. When you reach level up conditions your bar will go gold, you will no longer receive XP until you level up, but you will keep your current weapon at the ready.

Crying players is a good thing, that means they didn't rage quit and are willing to succeed. They will succeed at some point, they just have to keep practicing.

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 03:16:38 am »

2. To level up you must issue the !voodoo command. When you reach level up conditions your bar will go gold, you will no longer receive XP until you level up, but you will keep your current weapon at the ready.

Wouldn't that just allow people to spam the AugPP7 and Golden Gun then without having to worry about getting forced to a weaker gun? I know that kills aren't as important as leveling up, but if the opportunity is there, people will take advantage of it.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good idea, but there's bound to be a better way to go at it.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 03:21:40 am »

Forced level up on a timer or respawn?

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 04:02:50 am »

I'm thinking based on respawn. Hell, could there be a way to have it where it could be both by respawn and !voodoo? That way, the player can choose whether or not to go up after getting the "experience" for it if s/he hasn't died.

After playing a match with a friend of mine, I do have to say that there should be a slightly reduced reduction of the "experience". Starting over from scratch can be a pain. Maybe keeping something like 33% of what was earned? Overall, I'm loving it so far. It really adds to the experience of using each gun rather than just usually getting cheap killsteals in the middle of firefights.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up