GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:32:23 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Laboratory 101226: HLstatsX best be sweatin'  (Read 19206 times)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: VC's Laboratory 101226: HLstatsX best be sweatin'
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 12:46:20 pm »

There's really nothing one can do about that using a real-time system that only keeps track of one data point (current rating) per player.  Your comment does make me wonder if I could make a variant that can adjust player weightings when complete historical stats are available... that might make E-S happy, but I won't get my own hopes up.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 02:32:16 pm »

Regardless of what i think of that, I'm sure we can both see this is going nowhere because, as you said, we have conflicting ideas of what a stat system should measure.  Stats do convey accurate data in regards to what normally happens on the server, so if someone has a high ranking they would have at least had to play well.  That's not to say it's an accurate calculation of player skill as i see it, but it does tell you who normally has the better performance.

Of course, it may be worth keeping in mind that HLstatsX isn't designed to be accurate, its purpose is to keep people coming back to the server.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 03:11:52 pm by Entropy-Soldier »
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 03:27:57 pm »

Perhaps VC could implement a weighted ranking system that sorts players based on who fights dirty and who fights honorably.  Of course, KM would have to generate some sort of code to determine inherent moral parameters of players.

Might I suggested an "alignment" bar circa Black and White?

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 04:16:13 pm »

Quote from: Quote For Emphasis
HLstatsX isn't designed to be accurate, its purpose is to keep people coming back to the server.

jj, don't get too excited.  I designed this as a generic ranking system for my own projects.  That doesn't mean it couldn't turn into a GES ranking server mod that looks at details like HP/AP and Honorability someday, but this is a personal weblog entry, not a GES-development entry.

I used GES combat data because it is accessable: play games, copy console before closing, paste into notepad, throw at bash script, run program, open results with LibreOffice, make pretty graph, have a Kit Kat bar.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 09:44:13 pm »

Haha, I was mostly goofin' on the throwback between you and ES by hyperbolically suggesting solutions.

Moreover, in a more honest sense, I do like the scheme of your ranking system.

Kiihhu

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Kiihhu has no influence.
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 09:31:44 pm »

I know this is an old topic, but I just read it and noticed a lot of discussion about armor whoring. Couldn't we just implement it like it was in the original game, so that the armor wouldn't spawn if there's someone standing too close to it? That would at least lessen the armor whoring and perhaps prevent grabbing the armor in the middle of a fight.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 10:02:00 pm »

Old topic, old argument.  Adding a radius just means campers will game the radius.  They can stand near it to hold it until it is safe, then step away to spawn it and take it.  With timed respawn, they can be pushed off of it by an aggressor and lose control.

Thanks for reminding me about my stats project though; it got pushed aside and half-forgotten.  Appends to TODO list.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up