GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 02:18:24 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Phantom Model  (Read 23340 times)

Luchador

• Retired Lead Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 175
  • Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!
    • My Website
New Phantom Model
« on: July 07, 2014, 10:23:29 am »

Hello! I've made a new Phantom model for GE:S.

The old model served us well, but that model is several years old now and I thought it needed an upgrade. Also, I wasn't a fan of the folding stock on top. The Phantom of the original GE did not have a stock.

The new model comes in at 5,068 polys with 2048x2048 diffuse, specular normal and gloss maps. It's based on a real world gun called the Spectre M4.

The renders are from a program called Marmoset Toolbag 2. The first person view screenshot is from Unreal Engine 4. The Unreal Engine allows me to see the weapon in a game engine and make changes to it much, much faster than I can in Source. Our great developer kraid will set this model up in the Source Engine for a new release.

I hope you like this new gun model, but if you don't, tell my why and I'll take your criticism into consideration. More new models are on the way.

Thanks.

Ben "Luchador" Colclough

Peroxwhy?gen

• GE:S Lifer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...
Re: New Phantom Model
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 04:02:49 pm »

I didn't feel that a new phantom model was needed, but this new model looks great, I would have thought the KF7 or the Sniper Rifle would be getting some love.

I SHOOT YOU FUCKING 16 PP7 SHOOTS AND YOU DONT DIE MAN

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 05:22:01 pm »

The model shows wear and fair use, and has an overall far increased level of detail than the previous model, I like it. The only thing I'm not too keen about is it's color, it seems a tad too grey in my opinion. Don't get me wrong though, this is a beautiful model, but the phantom had a much more "white" vibe than grey in the original. It has a more realistic feel to it, though, I'll give you that!

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 06:28:45 pm »

Awesome new model, but I think namajnaG is right, the grey colour is too strong (in some areas).
Here's the N64 original which shows a white surface on top of the weapon:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:47:51 pm by The Cy »
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 06:47:57 pm »

Looks great luch!

Regarding the 'whiteness':

I believe the original weapons like the DD44 and Phantom were given bright white highlights / gradients on the texture to represent a grey weapon with a sheen on it. Similarly so, the PP7 and KF7 Soviet also have a white highlight on them to make them look glossy, as they are mostly black. This is really more a case of the limited graphics capabilities of the N64.

Understand that in modern game engines, weapon models will look very different depending on the lighting and the cubemaps which form the environment reflections. That UE4 test level looks like a grey environment with more subtle lighting. The Marmoset renders give a much more accurate impression of how the weapon will look overall and the way lighting will behave on the model.

tl,dr: To me it looks correct.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Luchador

• Retired Lead Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 07:50:17 pm »

Thank you all for the comments!

Making a weapon look consistent in different game engines is kind of a nightmare, especially now that advanced game engines are switching to a physically based rendering model. When I textured this I had Marmoset, UE4, Unity, 3DO and Substance Designer's previewer all open at the same time, flipping between them and trying to make the materials look consistent. What I'll do now is make a copy of the textures and adjust them specifically to look good in Source.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 01:57:48 am »

I didn't feel that a new phantom model was needed, but this new model looks great, I would have thought the KF7 or the Sniper Rifle would be getting some love.

Just wait...
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Peroxwhy?gen

• GE:S Lifer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 07:55:07 pm »

Just wait...

I'll take that as a yes the new weapon models will finally look like there ge64 counterparts to a point.

I SHOOT YOU FUCKING 16 PP7 SHOOTS AND YOU DONT DIE MAN

DrDean

• Model Man
  • Retired Developer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 51
  • DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 02:25:14 am »

Dang, looks great.

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 01:52:44 pm »

The New Phantom looks amazing it actually reminds me of the remastered goldeneye guns in Perfect Dark XBLA

StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138]

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138] barely matters.StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138] barely matters.
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 09:55:38 pm »

Wow I never even noticed that the current phantom had that folding stock on top and the original didn't. I can see how the N64 version was supposed to be grey with the whiteness trying to hep show it was grey since they were tons of limitations when the game was made (so many black & white textures had vertex coloring, the crate textures were black and white, lots of the walls were grey, and so on) however must of always saw as the gun being white, so even if it isn't correct, making it white does help it stay more true to the original gun.
On the subject of a KF7 remake, I feel like gun should be longer so the edge of it doesn't show and looks more like a pencil. xD
But anyways, love these new gun updates, even though I've been fine with the current ones, it still helps this mod to look better and better every update. :)
Don't ask, Stupid Mario Brothers is a YouTube series that I love to watch, and most likely you probably read my username as "SuperMarioBros1Fan" at some point. Yes I get that question a lot since this isn't the only account with this name. ::)

StrikerMan780

• Hellbender
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • StrikerMan780 has no influence.
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 01:20:22 am »

I like it, a lot. Looks a lot more faithful to the source material than the current phantom model.

Check out [SM]'s HL2: Deathmatch Server! I've worked hard on making it the best it can be.

Luchador

• Retired Lead Developer
  • 00 Agent
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 11:27:32 am »

Updated the Phantom based on some suggestions. Now the sights are darker and the main metal is a lighter gray.

StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138]

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138] barely matters.StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138] barely matters.
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 12:47:15 pm »

Now please, shut up and take my money! :D
Don't ask, Stupid Mario Brothers is a YouTube series that I love to watch, and most likely you probably read my username as "SuperMarioBros1Fan" at some point. Yes I get that question a lot since this isn't the only account with this name. ::)

TheIgnorantPianist

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • TheIgnorantPianist has no influence.
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 12:23:08 am »

I am new to the forums and I am already blown away on the amount of excellent quality and professionalism of this mod. Everything looks top notch! I am surprised I haven't heard of this little gem. Great job on the Phantom skin Luchador.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up