GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 06:57:28 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Redownloading every time the map changes  (Read 6378 times)

TooCrooked

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • TooCrooked is looked down upon.
[RESOLVED] Redownloading every time the map changes
« on: April 09, 2008, 01:00:11 am »

whats up with having to redownload the same things over and over every time i connect to a server? granted im new, but it doesnt make sense that id have to redownload (which takes 10 - 20 minutes each time) everything??
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 06:01:40 pm by Sean [Baron] »

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
Re: redownloading every time the map changes
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 01:35:50 am »

whats up with having to redownload the same things over and over every time i connect to a server? granted im new, but it doesnt make sense that id have to redownload (which takes 10 - 20 minutes each time) everything??
What are you redowloading? Quake sounds and other tweak shit? Or more such as officials maps? Version or the game you've installed? If 1.1h, did you installed 1.0? Any screenshots? If it's only the tweak shits, try
Code: [Select]
cl_downloadfilter none
(in SourceMods\gesbeta1_1\cfg\config.cfg), to see if theres any change.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 01:39:49 am by Doc.NO »

TooCrooked

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 11:41:15 am »

its primarily "quake" sounds and "admin" something or other. why is this junk redownloading? i play from europe so it severely ruins the experience when you get to play the last 3 minutes of every map

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 12:10:05 pm »

Thats tweak sounds/materials the server use. Usually, it takes less than 10 secondes to d/l them with a broadband connection. And it's downloaded only once. Do you download both .mp3 and .mp3.bz2 version of the sounds? Does it happen on EVERY servers? Or only with some of them? Version of your game (beta 1.0 or 1.1x)?
You can also just put
cl_downloadfilter none
at the end of your config.cfg, but you'll miss all the custom material the servers use.

nowhere

• 00 Agent
  • nowhere has no influence.
    • Janus Syndicate
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 05:25:04 pm »

Just put
cl_downloadfilter nosounds
Then you only don't download the sound files but can still download maps. Personally I hate all those sound files, especially if they aren't even in use by the server which happens so damn often.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 05:27:14 pm by nowhere »

TooCrooked

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 04:45:51 am »

i certainly appreciate the help. however, as a new user i had to jump through hoops to get this information. it would be very useful if there were an option in the game's GUI to prevent downloading specific files (sounds, none, etc) from a server during connection. i wouldn't have missed that. the presence of this type of option would be a great addition.

it is necessary to note that i havent had any problems with Doc's server(s), other than having to download that siberia map, but him and i discussed that previously :) ... i think the server i had problems with started with an A

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 12:20:55 pm »

it would be very useful if there were an option in the game's GUI to prevent downloading specific files (sounds, none, etc) from a server during connection. i wouldn't have missed that. the presence of this type of option would be a great addition.
As far as I know, the new OB SDK has something like that under the multiplayer tab, in the options window. So I bet you'll have this GUI option with the next release of GES.

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 12:50:10 am »

You're probably playing on Educator's servers which are misconfigured.
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 03:42:11 pm »

Everytime I join a server I have to redownload the official maps that are supplied with the beta3 download over and over again. Not really sure about that though... it's always *.ain.

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 04:23:11 pm »

I'm quite sure that the .ain files are the weapon set, since I had to download the Citadel level, and it took forever, but the .ain files just take like a minute or so, but don't quote me on that.

E-Z

• Agent
  • E-Z has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 04:24:18 pm »

Everytime I join a server I have to redownload the official maps that are supplied with the beta3 download over and over again. Not really sure about that though... it's always *.ain.

Yep, it's the same for me, but it doesn't take very long. It's when it's sending client info that I get problems.

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 04:44:23 pm »

I'm quite sure that the .ain files are the weapon set, since I had to download the Citadel level, and it took forever, but the .ain files just take like a minute or so, but don't quote me on that.

Your a bit wrong there. The ain files are not weapon sets and have nothing to do with ges. Its a file used by the source engine and they can differ from server to server. Normally they are very small files.

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 05:58:53 pm »

You aren't re-downloading files on every join. You're re-attempting to download files on every join. You never actually get the files, because the server admins botched their setup. It's not a GES issue, it's a misconfiguration on the server-side.
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0
Pages: [1]   Go Up