GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 08:23:40 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First impressions...  (Read 3852 times)

BrainViolation

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • BrainViolation has no influence.
First impressions...
« on: February 05, 2010, 12:05:08 am »

I have been playing Goldeneye (N64) ever since it came out. I have every stock map pretty much memorized, to the point where if I had to, I could draw them out perfectly. I still play it to this day (I'm 20), and make my friends cry whenever I bring it out, because they know I'll win 34567898765-0.

I had heard about this mod quite some time ago. I had never really gotten into it because, admittedly, I lacked faith in it. I felt it would be buggy, laggy, and most likely die from a lack of interest.

Now that your beta 4 is around the corner (...here?), I decided (just 3 hours ago) to start playing your mod.

Ho. Ly. Shit. This. Does. Not. Disappoint.

I'm absolutely stunned at how well this game plays. It handles just as well as any FPS (which is probably why I do so poorly at it right now!), and is absolutely beautiful, even just on my laptop. Your maps...Especially Complex (My N64 favorite)...Are spot on. Weapons feel balanced, everything just feels right. I believe that I have found the gaming equivalent of crack cocaine (I played WoW for 2 years, and this feeling is nothing), and I really (really really really really really) hope you guys are able to round out this project. I love your new maps, I love the old maps, I love GE:S. Thank you for putting out such a mod.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
Re: First impressions...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 12:23:19 am »

Thank you for the wonderful comments. :D
It is always nice to hear how people feel and what it brings back to them.  I have played GE since it was released and I still use my original cartridge.

Please keep checking in over the next couple days..  but I warn you..  it might kill you from the over flow of adrenalin.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

BrainViolation

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 02:13:52 am »

I think I can deal with that.

...Though, I'm slowly finding how strong that silver PP7 is in comparison to the N64 version. Feels like a 2-shot weapon.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 02:58:31 am »

It does the same damage as it did on Goldeneye 64, each shot from the Silver PP7 does the same damage as each shot from the Cougar Magnum.

That means 2 headshots to kill someone with full health and 4 headshots to kill someone with full health and full armor.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

BrainViolation

• Agent
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 03:57:51 am »

Yeah, I've been reading and seeing how well the damage really does scale. I must have been just getting popped a lot.

Why aren't there more people on? I don't get it...

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 04:06:44 am »

There were hundreds of people on the night of the Beta 3 release and the following days.

However, shortly after release, Valve decided to release a TF2 update that completely broke all of the GES servers until a fix was found a few days later. By then though, it was too late, and everyone who had been playing left. Thanks, Valve.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

BrainViolation

• Agent
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 04:18:10 am »

How long ago was that...?

And I for one, am doing my part in spreading the gospel of this game. So far, I've contacted 6 friends personally who will love this game. Gonna try and get it out more...

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 04:57:29 am »

They all will be back for Beta4.. and if Valve screws up this time, I will personally drive up there and slap the taste of donuts out of Gabe's mouth.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 11:56:15 am »

How long ago was that...?
The server issue was about a year ago.

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 03:10:17 pm »

That means 2 headshots to kill someone with full health and 4 headshots to kill someone with full health and full armor.
So that's why I don't have giant killstreaks sometimes... Thought it was due to my horrible ping/lag/latency

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 04:33:49 pm »

Silver PP7 is base-damage of 100, same as GE007.  Two to the head kills full HP/AP.  One to the head kills a freshly spawned player.
Gold PP7 has been changed to a base of 200, since its original design was to make Single Player into a one-sided License to Kill, which is unsuitable in any multiplayer scenario except LTK, of course.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

BrainViolation

• Agent
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 05:25:03 pm »

I've already conceded to the fact that I was probably getting shot in the face.  :-[

This game has definitely gone over the 48-hour "game hump" (If you aren't enjoying the game 48 hours after you get it, you probably won't play it much at all, if at all). I love the pants off this stuff.

little 00

• Secret Agent
  • little 00 has no influence.
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 04:50:07 am »

Its almost too addictive for me to stop playing sometimes.

Let the source be with you (Goldeneye source)

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 04:11:17 pm »

Its almost too addictive for me to stop playing sometimes.
I remember an old Dutch counter-strike server that said upon login "Always do your homework first before playing CS".

Haven't had that problem since, well, CS 1.5 :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up