GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 18, 2024, 02:00:19 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Weapon Accuracy / AIM Mode Improvements  (Read 26408 times)

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
Re: Weapon Accuracy / AIM Mode Improvements
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2010, 10:02:46 pm »

Hi there...
Hi n00b :)

Shooting at an enemy for 10min until he goes down is more than disappointing!
Your skills are grievable... There is an invulnerability time after each hit. So when you are spraying like fsck, which you are, you are probably repeatingly hitting someones foot, because you can't aim, untill he dies. The trick here is either stop playing GE:S, learning the gameplay as documented on the wiki or stop being such an idiotic whiner. The latter will come eventually when you l2play, though...

Damn, it is just LUCK hitting the head...and this is not because of my low skill in this mod!
Rofl. I am getting HS killstreaks all the time. "How?" You're asking? The awnser would be to stop using the goddamn Klobb and start looking at where the bullits go and looking for someone's head and then aim at it! I am not sure if it is required in this universe to shoot a bullit through someones head in order to make a headshot, but I am fairly sure that it is actually required...

I dont know, wheater it is because of the "low" rates (55/55) of the running servers or of some other reason.
It is you, sucking balls at video games! :-*

Playing on N64 was a bit of another gameplay-feeling than playing GE:S!!
Well that was because you had auto-aim in the single player and you could decide to play it against other total n00bs, like yourself....

And i mean the "gameplay" and "aiming/hitboxes" only have to be fixed...the atmosphere is great.
Have you rent a movie lately? Seriously; the computer graphics in the Matrix are stunning!!!1111 one one eleven

The explosions are cracking a little bit like they were overpowered in loudness but this could be an issue of my soundcard...dont know.
Get yourself a decent, external amplifier and a decent speaker set and put the volume of your operating system at 30%... oh and buy a fscking decent soundcard too...

Keep improving these gamplay issues and i think GE:S will be a great mod and will get a big player community!
I heared from the lead coder of this project that he can ban Steam ID's from playing the game. The first overal improvement to the GE:S experience, however unethical, would be removing you from ever joining a public server so people won't have to listen to your "Hacks!" comments in game.

Writing from Germany, sorry 4 my bad english:D i hope it's possible to understand what i just wrote :D:D
It's totally understable; you are a total n00b!

Greetings
kbye
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:06:31 pm by V!NCENT »

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2010, 10:06:17 pm »

Lets tone it down on the insulting of new players.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2010, 10:19:09 pm »

Now I have to split my negs between JessEH and V!ndows.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2010, 10:21:18 pm »

Lets tone it down on the insulting of new players.
C'mon... I didn't use harsh words, and last time I checked n00b still meant new beginner.

While I totally agree with you that my post wasn't realy the height of social doing, you can't say with a straight face, in my face that you were not thinking the exact same thing.

Last night, for three hours straight, I have been subject to constant "Hacker!!", "Hax!" and "Stop hacking gay fag!". That was causing this post. While it was wrong to post what I just posted; I will not for a second think about removing it.

The question is: do we want to play the game with people that only play games because everybody else does it?

FFS I want to go back to the days where I played games with people who played games because they liked it ::)

PS: What it comes down to is: "I am not good at this game, so your game sucks and you have to change it, allthough I didn't pay for it, so I can win instead!!!!" Does that, in any, appeal to you? Does that, in any way, want to make you having these people play your game? I know I wouldn't...

He could have just gone ahead and think: "Why does everybody else make headshots and why am I the only one who's down at the bottom" The correct awnser is: You can't have all people end at number 1, because a game, played against others, is a competetive pasttime! Well hello?

PS2: @MICHA: the rules by which you are bound to play, apply to everybody else too. So if you don't like it than either imp[rove your skills or think about wether you actually like this game...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:32:20 pm by V!NCENT »

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2010, 10:32:57 pm »

Get yourself a decent, external amplifier and a decent speaker set and put the volume of your operating system at 30%... oh and buy a fscking decent soundcard too...

The guy has a point the explosions do crackle when multiple happen at once no matter your equipment.

P.S I have a good soundcard and Headphones.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:34:36 pm by keefy »

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2010, 10:37:32 pm »

The guy has a poitn chill out the explosions do crackle when multiple happen at once no matter your equipment.
That's because the amplitude gets above +4 decibels and below -4 decibels. You can reduce the outgoing signal from your soundcard to +4DB and -4DB when lowering the volume.

When that's not enough your soundcards processor (or CPU if in software mode (which means suckage soundcard in both cases)) can't handle signals above and below the 4DB limit.

And external amplifier could then output the full analog signal to speakers with mids, highs and lows so the sound displays correctly.

So you are totally wrong... unless your speakers are just blown up...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:40:44 pm by V!NCENT »

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2010, 11:09:31 pm »

Oh great bullshitter, please enlighten me as to how you get distortion because of a signal going below -4dB.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2010, 12:13:26 pm »

Oh great bullshitter, please enlighten me as to how you get distortion because of a signal going below -4dB.
Because the amplitude of the signal will never actually go beyond +4 and -4; it will just be cut off, which means a straight horizontal line and therefore not a soundwave, but just crackling distortion.

I made a quick and ugly graph to show you:

And please note that I have worked for a profesional light and sound company that does stage building and takes care of light and sound on television sets. I have worked with profesional light and audio equipment. I know what I am talking about here...

PS: In physics; each time the same sound gets duplicated, like 10 explosions of say 100db, the result is +3db. So:
1 explosions = 100db
2 explosions = 103db
3 explosions = 106db

And so forth and so forth...

Just lower the OS sound mixer signal and put the volume of your speakers higher and then the crackling will magically dissapear ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 12:17:51 pm by V!NCENT »

SoFGR

• Agent
  • SoFGR has no influence.
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2010, 03:48:20 pm »

interesting, what about windows XP ? lower down  wave /  master volume  or both ?  keep game volume at 100% ?

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2010, 06:38:50 pm »

Thank you for the lol, I needed that.

The 2x = +3 is correct, but the decibel is an expression of an exponent, so a negative dB value has NOTHING to do with the sign of the value.  You must have been working with dBW figures, which is entirely different.

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2010, 06:47:44 pm »

interesting, what about windows XP ? lower down  wave /  master volume  or both ?  keep game volume at 100% ?
The problem occurs when the total mix sound (which is why you have a sound mixer) is passed onto you soundcard and made analog, so it doesn't matter what OS you are using, since inside of XP for example everything is digital. It also doesn't matter if you lower the master volume or just the game volume.

My advice would be lowering you master volume because then you lower all volume and when you up the volume of your speakers than you up the total volume of all sounds ;)

Also (and this is interesting if you want to be able to crank up the volume to as high as you want and not want to speakers to ever blow up); there should be a balance of 0db at all times. What does that mean?

You can devide sound into three catagories:
-high (treble)
-mid
-low (bass)

4db is considdered neutral. This is called 0db, because it is neutral.

When you up the low (bass) +1 than the total will be 1db (above 4db, so 4+1=5db. 5db > 4db limit and thus distortion) and so you'll need to lower the mid or the high (treble) with -1 to have 4db and thus 0db total.

You see this with pop music; in order to make the music louder, producers up the treble and lower the bass. MP3's are all bassy and thus the treble is reduced. Commercials all sound louder than the tv show you are watching, while at the same db, because they up the treble and mid and reduce the bass a lot.

You, however, need a mixer for this if your speakers combine the mid, highs and lows. But if you have an external amplifier that has a circuitry that devides the sound into 3 signals: mid, high and low (this is usualy inside of your speakers) and you have speaker boxes that each have 3 speakers inside of them (these are the mid, highs and lows!) then distortion will never occur and you will not be able to blow up your speakers! (unless ofcourse you put the volume soooooo hard that you speakers physically blow themselves out of you speakerbox xD)

So why are there 150 dollar sound cards then? That is not because they produce better sound quality (nope...) but because they can handle an extreme amount of channels (fatal1ty sound cards come to mind) and are solely for studio mixing and serround gaming.

So the rule of thumb: keep you OS master volume low, buy 3 speakers holding speakerboxes and a decent external amplifier (but these are usually build into your speakers) and you will never blow up your speakers and you can crank the latest heavy metal Slipknot or Hardstyle out of your speakers at max volume and +4 bass and +4 treble (but only if you set the bass and treble on your external amplifier) and you will never hear distortion and you will never blow up your speakers.

However... some n00bish recordings are mastered with terrible distortion (above 0db neutral) and these recordings will always sound like shit, but it is not you speakers that are blowing up. I get this a lot with YouTube uploaded hardstyle recordings <_<'

;)

Thank you for the lol, I needed that.

The 2x = +3 is correct, but the decibel is an expression of an exponent, so a negative dB value has NOTHING to do with the sign of the value.  You must have been working with dBW figures, which is entirely different.
I though that you were reffering to the analog output signal... But nice trolling -_-'

PS: The decibel is a measure of sound intensity, with the function of power ratio between two sounds.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 08:56:55 pm by V!NCENT »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2010, 11:35:28 pm »

This is called 0db, because it is neutral.

Actually, 0dB = 1. So if we are talking scale factors that means NO SCALING.

-4dB = sqrt_20( 10^(-4) )  (assuming this is 20*log_10 dB conversion).

Regardless, that is equal to 0.6309 which is CLOSE TO ZERO. Thus, it is impossible that this can cause distortion, which is related to LOUD sounds...

The problem with talking in dB is that every application has their own definitions and no one discloses the scale factors or their meanings. This is especially troublesome in antenna theory, but has nothing to do with this discussion. Basically, talking in dB is convenient when you are talking in terms of power at a given frequency because it tends to give a nice LINEAR plot for the engineer to interpret. However, using it in sound is just an audiophiles way of throwing his speaker dick around, it really means absolutely nothing special. It's just a conversion between absolute magnitude (in linear scale) to a logarithmic scale.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 11:38:11 pm by killermonkey »

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010, 11:41:25 am »

Actually, 0dB = 1. So if we are talking scale factors that means NO SCALING.

-4dB = sqrt_20( 10^(-4) )  (assuming this is 20*log_10 dB conversion).

Regardless, that is equal to 0.6309 which is CLOSE TO ZERO. Thus, it is impossible that this can cause distortion, which is related to LOUD sounds...

The problem with talking in dB is that every application has their own definitions and no one discloses the scale factors or their meanings. This is especially troublesome in antenna theory, but has nothing to do with this discussion. Basically, talking in dB is convenient when you are talking in terms of power at a given frequency because it tends to give a nice LINEAR plot for the engineer to interpret. However, using it in sound is just an audiophiles way of throwing his speaker dick around, it really means absolutely nothing special. It's just a conversion between absolute magnitude (in linear scale) to a logarithmic scale.
Please, for example, call Pioneer and ask if you can design their mixers instead.

Also, you should never become a Dj because you would blow up sound systems in every European club/disco because Pioneer has a de facto monopoly there.

This has nothing to do with Audiophilism. Audiophiles are idiots that use golden cables for digital sound signals...

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2010, 10:22:05 am »

The problem is the sound files not the equipment its being played on, no matter the volume it always sounds distorrted slightly. Play them in a media player using headphones.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2010, 02:43:45 pm »

That's three. If we can get an Ernie Hudson, we can cross the streams and send V!ncent back to his hellish home dimension.

Fuck it, let's just get Ernie Hudson.  I've got $20 in my wallet, if you two do too, we'll be his best-paying gig since Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up