GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:38:08 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Counter-Strike maps in the original Goldeneye  (Read 9587 times)

monkeyface

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • monkeyface has no influence.
Counter-Strike maps in the original Goldeneye
« on: December 16, 2008, 03:09:03 pm »

Hello GE:S community, here's something I've been busy with for some time:

http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=128

It's a patch for the Goldeneye 64 .rom that replaces 10 of the original multi-player maps with 10 modified maps from Counter-Strike. At the moment I'm working on a custom solo mission, if it feels enough like an original GE mission, maybe I'll remake it for Goldeneye:Source. It's madness I say. But it feels very rewarding to work with 32*32 textures and tops 4000 polygons per map. You should try it!

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Counter-Strike maps in the original Goldeneye
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 04:24:31 pm »

wow haha that is awesome

Looks like CSS on a Gameboy Advance

monkeyface

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 12:26:56 pm »

I'd recommend anyone who designs levels to try this. The texture and polygon constraints really forces you to make use of what you have, to make it as striking as possible.
At some point, when games gain some more ground as art, both players and developers will realize the potential of small textures and less polygons. Call it the impressionistic movement of games if you like! Not now though, Gears of War 4 and Crysis: Crisis are still to be made.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 01:01:04 pm »

tops 4000 polygons per map
rly? well, i never counted them but, i thought it were more then 4000 at some maps.
Maybe it's just a restriction you got for modding it, like the single room thing course of the lack of support of area portals in the tools you use. 4000 polys in one area portal sounds more belivable for me.
For the texturesize: yea, and they were quite blurry in the game.
Would be totally awesome if there could someone do highres textures and models, and get it working.
So we could play something similar to the remake of goldeneye for XBLA (which unfortunatly was canceled).

Let's hope they are at least working on getting PD (1) on the XBLA. Licence rights shouldn't be a problem in that case.
Or they do a complete remake with extended multiplayer, like they did for Conker.

monkeyface

• Agent
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 01:25:38 pm »

Well, to be honest, my maps were tops 4000 polygons. The original singleplayer maps can get to around 40 000. But it's more safe, as a modder, working with less polygons. There's a greater chance of the .ROM not dying on you. It's hell working on a big map, and when included, it wont even start.
The tools I use DO support rooms, portals and even custom made props. I doubt there's a better tool for a specific N64 game. You can literally create your own Goldeneye with it.
If the editor could output characters (right now, they're a mess of vertices and textures when you export, only static props works) to .obj files, I could see if it would be possible to rig them. Would you consider to use them, or would it be to risky to include the original N64 models/textures?

Oh, by the way, here is a trailer I threw together to showcase the maps. .
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 01:30:36 pm by monkeyface »

chefwear

• Agent
  • chefwear has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 04:40:28 pm »

Could you post the .vcf?

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 05:19:01 pm »

We won't include anything that was extraced from the original Game, no matter if it's a texture, model or soundfile.

Beside that, the original game had no texture or model in it (because of hardware limitations) we could not recreate on our own within 10 minutes if really neccessary.

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 09:15:48 pm »

This thread is from 2008, and monkeyface has not logged in since 2010.

:/
Pages: [1]   Go Up