GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 10:42:41 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Application: Music Composer  (Read 56683 times)

Tweaklab

• Lead Sound Designer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 113
  • Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!
    • Tweaklab on SoundCloud
Application: Music Composer
« on: May 09, 2015, 06:32:34 am »

Hi guys and girls!

First of all I wanted to say a massive thank you for re-creating my all time favorite game from the N64 in the source engine, I have been playing your MOD for at least 5 years, more like 7 or 8 and it is amazing seeing just how far it has come in that time.

I have been writing all kinds of electronic music since 2004 with Propellerhead Reason and more recently I've started incorporating some electric guitar and chiptune with an original DMG-01 Gameboy.

In the last few years some of my music has been used in the Australian satire comedy TV shows "Bogan Hunters" and "Housos" and the more recent feature film "Fat Pizza vs. Housos", I also participated in the music project www.weeklybeats.com in 2012 and 2014 where the goal was to make a brand new track every single week and upload it to the community, so I am used to working with deadlines :)

Being a video game fan since 1987 I have made my share of remixes and would love to provide some free music for your awesome MOD, here are a few examples of my video game remixes and a few original tracks as well:

GoldenEye / James Bond 007 Remix (has some electric guitar)
https://soundcloud.com/tweaklab/james-bond-007-theme-tweaklabs-goldeneye-remix-1

Naruto Main Theme Remix (has some electric guitar)
https://soundcloud.com/tweaklab/naruto-theme-remix

Maelstrom Theme Remix (has some electric guitar)
https://soundcloud.com/tweaklab/maelstrom

Misty Mountain Cold Remix
https://soundcloud.com/tweaklab/misty-mountain-cold-remix

Circle Gherkin (Original) has some Gameboy chiptune
https://soundcloud.com/tweaklab/the-circle-gherkin

Italia [Electro Mix] (Original)
https://soundcloud.com/tweaklab/italia-electro-mix

Big Phat Beatle (Original)
https://soundcloud.com/tweaklab/big-phat-beatle

I thank you very much for your time and look forward to hearing from you whether or not my music can be of any use to you :)

Keep up the awesome work and don't work too hard,

Cheers!

Lynden aka Tweaklab

www.facebook.com/tweaklab
www.soundcloud.com/tweaklab
http://tweaklab.bandcamp.com

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
Re: Application: Music Composer
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 09:06:08 am »

Hi tweaklab, very nice stuff you made there.
I listened to some of your other tracks on soundcloud, too.

I'm not a musican but i recognize quality when i hear it.

We surely could use a few more remixes, just wait for one of the music guys to come by and talk to you.

Tweaklab

• Lead Sound Designer
  • Secret Agent
  • Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!
    • Tweaklab on SoundCloud
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 10:02:57 am »

Hi kraid!

That sounds amazing and thanks very much for getting back to me so soon! :)

I understand from experience how general day to day life whether it be work or family tend to take priority over hobbies and passions so thanks again for your time!

All the best,

tweaklab

RogerMooreSucks

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 11:25:17 pm »

I'm not a musican but i recognize quality when i hear it.

Um no. I listen the samples and it did not impress me. They were good to a certain extent. The variations are nice but you need to work on making them sound....realistic.
Troy, get back on that treadmill

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 01:22:11 am »

The pure electronic stuff you do (the trance, chiptune tracks) sounds great to me! Especially Maelstrom and Circle Gherkin. They sound great in my home studio. I can respect any musician who takes the time to get good with Reason, it's such a powerful program but it can be really hard to get a good sound out of it.

Those awful Orkester Reason samples aren't doing that Bond remix of yours any favors. I appreciate the creative use of film/game samples though :D
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 02:33:58 am »

I took a good listen, really enjoyed the techno music but not so much the video game music. Great effort and excellent request post. Would love to hear some more remixes of some of our tunes, we have some songs that are a too slow for deathmatch play (imo) and could use some bpm's. Give that a go and I would reconsider depending on the output.

Song spruce up suggestion: Shaken & Stirred

Tweaklab

• Lead Sound Designer
  • Secret Agent
    • Tweaklab on SoundCloud
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 02:49:35 pm »

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I'll see what I can do with that tune in terms of a remix, do you especially want the tempo upped for that one or to just give the track a new palette as such?

It will probably take me a week or two with work + kids, downtime is something sacred at the moment!

However I'm really keen to give that tune a re-work so I'll see if I can sneak an hour in here and there at night through the week.

Thanks again for the time and consideration,

Tweaklab

RogerMooreSucks

• 00 Agent
  • RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 09:33:46 pm »

Honestly i wish you guys would actually use some orchestral music and not electronica tracks for goldeneye source.

Tweaklab

• Lead Sound Designer
  • Secret Agent
    • Tweaklab on SoundCloud
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 10:48:16 pm »

Honestly i wish you guys would actually use some orchestral music and not electronica tracks for goldeneye source.

I don't suppose you happen to be a part of or know an orchestra that would be prepared to do the OST for free do you?

Or better yet, why not contribute to the MOD by writing the orchestrated score in a DAW yourself :) this is free entertainment after all and the original N64 game was loaded with electronic beats which is no doubt an influence to anyone who covers these awesome, timeless pieces.

RogerMooreSucks

• 00 Agent
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 01:34:57 am »

I don't suppose you happen to be a part of or know an orchestra that would be prepared to do the OST for free do you?
Um what? What i mean by orchestral tracks is that is uses brass and string fanfares and not so relient on trances and dance style tracks. IF you need more of an understanding of what a action track so sound like go watch a  james bond film. I don't mind the electronica tracks and i do enjoy the tracks basstronix, sole signal and goldenzen have composed for us but i really do think it would be refreshing to have action styled tracks that rely on epic brass and strings. Goldenzen does a great job of this on his james bond music scores. I believe Goldeneye Source would be better off with some refreshing sounds. I know much about music production I composed tracks every now and then for fun. I use countless kontakt sample libaries and cubase 7 as my sequencer. Believe it or not if goldeneye had been made in 2015 with the same tracks it would most likely of had a real orchestra and not so heavy relient on electronica tracks. Go and listen to the goldeneye n64 soundtrack and imagine what it would sound like with real instruments.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 01:38:24 am by RogerMooreSucks »

Tweaklab

• Lead Sound Designer
  • Secret Agent
    • Tweaklab on SoundCloud
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 11:05:27 am »

Don't get me wrong, I totally get what you are saying. I have the entire James Bond collection on Blu-Ray so I've heard all the scores, numerous times. A personal favorite has to be David Arnold's Tomorrow Never Dies score for me personally, then On Her Majesty's Secret Service for the complete opposite effect.

Take anything that Mick Gordon has produced for the latest Killer Instinct or Wolfenstein etc, hooking up random tools and utensils to the inside of a piano to get unique sounds out of it, composing scores on his own or with an orchestra / choir ranging from metal, classical, dubstep, hard rock, house etc, all in a single game. That guy is an idle!

However my point still stands that this is a free MOD, which only exists because numerous people have devoted their own free time outside of their jobs and general day to day life to put in the hard hours to achieve something which is frankly better than most early access / green light / crowd funded games imo.

I'm just saying that it just seems too socially acceptable to come across as entitled these days, criticizing without stepping forward to be a part of the solution, which frankly could put a few people off contributing in the first place which would be a shame for the end result.

Tweaklab

• Lead Sound Designer
  • Secret Agent
    • Tweaklab on SoundCloud
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 11:10:07 pm »

I took a good listen, really enjoyed the techno music but not so much the video game music. Great effort and excellent request post. Would love to hear some more remixes of some of our tunes, we have some songs that are a too slow for deathmatch play (imo) and could use some bpm's. Give that a go and I would reconsider depending on the output.

Here's my effort so far with the spruce up, I'm pretty happy with the overall palette after numerous changes here and there but still want to flesh this thing out to at least double the current length and add in more original parts.

Being ZippyShare be sure to hit the little HD icon up the top right of the WAV form if you are going to stream it ;)

As much as I planned on playing all guitar parts myself, I can't help but dig that digitized guitar sound that's in the mix currently, it sounds a lot like one used predominantly in the original N64 game so I just get nostalgia every time I hear it :) I did play some guitar parts around 0:35 however. 1:20 sees some better quality Orkester sounds from Reason come in too.

Overall I'd say this remix was influenced by Propellerheads - Spybreak! and Backseat Driver from Tomorrow Never Dies by David Arnold / Propellerheads only with some more up to date (phatter?) sounding drums.

Let me know what you think so far I'm always open to constructive feedback and am happy to try and change things up accordingly :)

Cheers!

TriDefiance

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 12:00:14 am »

I like your overall progress with the track, however I get too much of an electronic/dance mix vibe from it rather than the track incorporating the familiar bond style of music that basstronix, soul, and goldenzen use, but at the same time I'm still positive about your work and the things you can do! Best of luck on your application!

Tweaklab

• Lead Sound Designer
  • Secret Agent
    • Tweaklab on SoundCloud
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 12:12:16 am »

I like your overall progress with the track, however I get too much of an electronic/dance mix vibe from it rather than the track incorporating the familiar bond style of music that basstronix, soul, and goldenzen use, but at the same time I'm still positive about your work and the things you can do! Best of luck on your application!

Hey cheers for the feedback!

I have to admit, I've already been tempted to write a second, more cafe style mix using more ambient style beats and sounds for less Matrix style gun fights and more focus on stealth... watch this space? :)

And thank you for your kind words and well wishes!

Tweaklab

• Lead Sound Designer
  • Secret Agent
    • Tweaklab on SoundCloud
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 01:25:28 am »

Take 2

Here's a 125BPM more Cafe style mix preview:

And here's the original 145BPM mix preview for comparison:

Cheers :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up