GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 02:31:22 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: [WIP] ge_Warehouse (Large Images)  (Read 15748 times)

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
Re: [WIP] ge_Warehouse (Large Images)
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 10:54:08 pm »

Mine looks like this: http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/9070/dff1.png

I can fix oddly placed props, but I don't know how to make textures not magically change themselves for other people.

Just replace the texture so it looks half way decent in general, looks like crap, could even use the texture on the connecting wall and it would look better.  Your lighting is dildo's.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 10:56:49 pm by Proxie »

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 04:31:35 am »

Don't mind Proxie.

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 06:36:17 am »

Don't mind Proxie.

upon further examination and thought, the rocky wall texture looks amazing in your warehouse, the rocky outside looking texture really fits the vacant warehouse feel, the lights are powered by a brick and give off no light at all, go figure.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:13:44 pm by Proxie »

namajnaG

• namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 04:34:48 pm »

Hah nah by "Don't mind Proxie" I mean don't take him too seriously.

Zippy

• Magic Member
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Zippy has no influence.
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 04:48:08 am »

I'll just ignore him outright. ::)

Proxie

• 00 Agent
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 11:37:56 pm »

Zippy

• Magic Member
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 08:35:31 am »

Jealous of what?

Also, every light on the Earth is powered by bricks.

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 02:07:41 pm »

Where can I download this Zippy?

namajnaG

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 06:59:44 pm »

Thanks namajnaG.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 07:59:15 pm »

Hi Zippy, first off the cave wall looks fine:-

http://i.imgur.com/PtJm2.jpg

I have some things I'd like to point out, but please take them as constructive criticism's as I really do like this map. The first is over-bright lights:-

http://i.imgur.com/MCy2M.jpg

There's a lack of ammo and weapon pickups, if you have 10+ people running around on this map, most will spend their time looking for a weapon, I've noticed plenty of areas where ammo and weapons could be placed:-

http://i.imgur.com/w5rO8.jpg

I don't really like the wires stretched across the rooms, it would look much more professional if they were to follow across the ceiling and around the edges:-

http://i.imgur.com/dDdUb.jpg

Sorry, but I have to agree with Proxie about the ugly pipes that aren't connected to anything, also if you look closely, they actually don't match up either, just remove them mate, nobody will miss them:-

http://i.imgur.com/tf6j0.jpg

Like I said, don't be disappointed by this, there's no reason, this map is good and I look forward to actually playing multiplayer on it.

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 10:14:08 am »

Haven't walked around the map; just going on the comments and screenshots posted above.

Back in the real world, it is not uncommon to see two separate light-switches side by side. Obviously if you were designing and wiring a place all in one go you'd put them both in the same box, but it happens that sometimes they are in separate boxes. To me it seems like an imperfection that lends a certain amount of realism. That is, it is an imperfection that happens in real world, rather than being an odd thing that does not seem to reflect reality.

It is true however that light switches are almost universally at or a short distance above doorknob-height. In my inebriated state I'd say somewhere around 48-56 hammer above the floor.

The lights seem overbright in some of the screenshots. You might consider weakening your point lights where they wash out textures and supplementing them with texture lights or skybox light. Or you might consider changing the properties of the point lights to have some linear in addition to quadratic; 50 linear might be a good place to start from to see a noticeable effect.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 10:17:18 am by mookie »
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 04:46:03 pm »

I'd like to chime in with some additional constructive criticism mainly about detailing. Your brush work is okay, and you seem to have some understanding of how to use tools like decals, overlays, rope keyframes etc which is a good start.

Your detailing is a bit too random and directionless, when you design an environment you need to really think about the purpose of it and what would fit there. For example in the bathroom you have a visible wire connecting the lights, but this is a tiled ceiling which means it's superficial. Everyone knows that tiled ceilings like this have wiring running behind them, the tiles are just a cheap way to keep them accessible for maintenance. The map as a whole doesn't feel like a warehouse, it feels like a military base and only really one room in it actually feels a bit like a warehouse but that's because it has some shelves. Also be careful with scaling textures! Avoid scaling textures above 0.25, the bathroom walls look terrible because they are scaled too large. You won't notice in low detail but for people playing in higher detail it sticks out like a sore thumb.

My recommendation is moving forward you should try to look at photographs of real locations for reference, look at architecture styles, structural feasibility. Is this room big enough to need extra supports like pillars or trusses? Do these walls seem thick and strong enough to support the ceiling? What are these pipes for? Where should they lead? What purpose does this room serve and what needs to be in it to make it a functional place? Why is this wall made of rock?

Also when it comes to things like lights etc try not to use the default values, adjust the opacity of things like env_spotlights so they feel less artificial and blinding. Lighting is pretty much the most important thing with regards to making the map feel and look good, it's just as important as textures and models, so you can't just throw lights around in a few minutes and just be satisfied.

Gameplay wise your map was big enough but could have more flow, most rooms were dead ends, and all the doorways were very tight which results in bottlenecks, also there's a serious lack of weapon spawns, you need at least 8 weapon spawners and probably 16 ammo spawners in a map, one weapon for each slot and two ammo crates for each weapon. Take a look at Facility_backzone and how plentiful the weapons are which makes for much better gameplay. Most rooms should have a weapon, it gives people an actual reason to go in them.

Last but not least, there was no optimization, do not just throw a box around you map to seal it. You need to seal the map as it is so that visibility can be compiled correctly and always compile VIS on 'normal' for final compiles. At the moment people have to render the entire map wherever they are which means poor performance.

Also you distributed your music script in the wrong folder, it should be in scripts/music.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:48:16 pm by Mangley »
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 05:14:43 pm »

One major thing that bugs me about this map:

Why the heck does the wall texture not conform to the floor?  The base board is half way up the wall in most areas, which does not look good.

That aside, the level feels like a giant loop with a ton of meaningless offshoots;  Try mixing up the layout a bit more to allow for more weapon spawns and better flow.
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

Zippy

• Magic Member
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 07:38:35 am »

Last but not least, there was no optimization, do not just throw a box around you map to seal it. You need to seal the map as it is so that visibility can be compiled correctly and always compile VIS on 'normal' for final compiles. At the moment people have to render the entire map wherever they are which means poor performance.
I would update this map with Hint and Skip brushes and the like, but no matter how I place them, they just end up breaking the map, and I've seen and read every tutorial on them that I could find.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up