GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 08:45:27 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Permissions to use gesource files?  (Read 9943 times)

thrakx

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • thrakx is looked down upon.
Permissions to use gesource files?
« on: June 21, 2010, 12:11:37 am »

Hey guys didn't know who to talk to or anything, but I've been working on some L4D2 stuff based off The Complex layout, and doing it all alone has been a process.  Anyway I recently ran into gesource and I was hoping to port one of the maps into a versus/scavenge map for Left4dead2, but I didn't want to just rip the files without asking or anything. Soooo.... Here's me asking and if I can't ask from here maybe some one can point me into the right direction.  I don't want to do anything fancy, just port the map over in the same spirit as the L4D badwater basin map or the CSS dust map for L4D2. Anyway thanks in advance guys!

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Re: Permissions to use gesource files?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 12:21:42 am »

Well you can certainly use the layout of Complex as a base to make your own map from scratch, but we don't want you using any of our content, i.e. decompiling our maps and stealing geometry, models, textures, etc. If you make the whole thing yourself then more power to you.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 03:17:01 am by Jonathon [SSL] »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

thrakx

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 02:28:35 am »

well thanks for the reply, I am currently working on a map based upon the complex, the only thing I really wanted was the textures. 

thrakx

• Agent
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 07:08:24 pm »

Well you can certainly use the layout of Complex as a base to make your own map from scratch, but we don't want you using any of our content, i.e. decompiling our maps and stealing geometry, models, textures, etc. If you make the whole thing yourself then more power to you.

Ok this has been bugging me more and more since I first read it.  I couldn't put my finger on it at first but now I'm like wait a sec here bud- I don't wanna be a jerk about this but if you really want to get into it at all, you guys ripped off this WHOLE damn project from RARE. Do you have permissions for that? I don't know if you do or not, but i doubt you have P. Brosnans permissions to use his likeness.

I'm just saying, that for you to tell me what you told me, is a pretty obvious hypocritical statement. Yes, I CAN use the basic layout and make it from scratch. I have been. However the geometry is the same across the board so how could I steal that? I never wanted to steal your stuff guys, but quite obviously you stole it first, so what gives?

Just to note, if in fact you guys DO have permissions from Microsoft,the Flemming people, AND the actors, then my bad, I just wanted to point a few things out.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 07:21:14 pm »

We didn't steal everything. All models, textures, and world geometry is created by and owned by their creators, the members of the Goldeneye: Source development team. Nothing in our mod has been taken straight from Rare or anyone else who originally made it, our Bond model isn't even based directly on Peirce to avoid copyright infringement. When I say "layout" I mean the position and locations of all the different areas of the the map and how they're connected; the blueprint of the map. Feel free to use that, but we just ask politely that you don't use our textures, world geometry, music, or models, as those were all created by our developers for the mod, and have nothing to do with the original content and therefore belong to us. Wake can probably come by and explain better whenever he comes along if what I'm saying isn't clear.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 07:26:33 pm »

I was about to say the same thing and was ninja'd in mid-post.

What he said. Everything you see was made from scratch, and SSL is asking you to do the same.
As for Brosnan's likeliness, all models are created to not fully resemble their actor counterparts. They're lookalikes at best, when you really compare.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 07:35:23 pm »

We can't really stop you from using our textures ect..  All we can ask is you reference us in your documentation or even in the level.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

thrakx

• Agent
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 12:24:55 am »

yeah guys i thought that maybe you had done it all from scratch, but that whole thing is walking a pretty fine intellectual property line anyway with the whole name and content. 

Honestly I would never use some one elses hard-made work without giving them credit. I don't roll like that, and I can respect some ones wishes.  I know how hard the work can be.

I do some L4D mapping and have been working with people on porting maps from other source games like TF2 and CSS. I've always had a love of Goldeneye so I always intended to try and remake some levels from it FOR L4D or L4D2.   Also I had just stumbled upon gesource and it seemed like an answer to all the problems I was running into finding the right textures and such. 
Just thought it would be cool to make it as perfect of a rip as I could and quite honestly I can't do it as well XD.   

However thanks to you guys I do have a better grasp on the level layouts then I did so there's that.

So thanks for that and don't worry I won't decompile your stuff.  I'll post some progress on my new current work Temple: ReImagined if anyone would be interested to see something Bondish in a L4D2 setting
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 04:03:00 am by thrakx »

codemaster94

• codemaster94
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Steam Account
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 12:27:52 am »

As for Brosnan's likeliness, all models are created to not fully resemble their actor counterparts. They're lookalikes at best, when you really compare.

Brosnan looks like David Hasselhoff to me.

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 01:20:04 am »

We can't really stop you from using our textures ect..
We can ask politely for him not to, but in the end it is the users choice. If he does though I can imagine his credibility being thrown into question after people accuse him of stealing or whatnot.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 08:51:16 am »

I'd say thouse kind of things are up to the creator of the content.
As for me, as long as there's credit given, i wouldn't mind if my stuff is used.

Even if it's the original ge_complex map, it would be like advertising for our mod.
PPL are using our content in GMOD without asking for permission or giving credit, so if someone is kind enough to ask and give credit to us, why should we deny it?

Beside that the only one who should be able to allow/deny it is the original creator of the content.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 11:27:08 am »

I have no say in the textures department. However the few models that I have made I wouldn't mind if they were used by a third party (with credit given of course).

The problem really lies in taking of whole chunks of content. We ALWAYS deny people making GMOD package with our content. Mainly we are concerned with currency (not money but time) in that we are always producing newer and better and we would hate to have our old "ugly" content in an unauthed distro.

The problem lies in how do we give you permmission to use 20 textures and not the GMOD folks use 5 maps and 300 textures. Its a slippery slope kinda deal.

Although I do suggest you personally contact our texture artists and keep it off the public forum. You never know what they'll say :-)

thrakx

• Agent
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 04:07:51 pm »

Ok guys I'm done posting here, if any of you bother to read my second post there you'd see how I responded.  I never knew I was going to be dealing with such bulllshit here. I figured it was all for love of the game and love of mapping something- giving a little goldeneye back to the kids. 

I'm done with asking you guys anything or playing with your mod.  You guys want to be all elitist and snobby, by all means go for it, do it to each other I don't want to have anything to do with you after seeing how you reply to some one in this situation.

Good luck on all your endeavors guys and thanks for being so mature about everything.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 04:57:19 pm »

Ok this has been bugging me more and more since I first read it.  I couldn't put my finger on it at first but now I'm like wait a sec here bud- I don't wanna be a jerk about this but if you really want to get into it at all, you guys ripped off this WHOLE damn project from RARE. Do you have permissions for that?

What the fuck are you talking about? We have custom created the WHOLE damn project from scratch.

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 07:37:33 pm »

Indeed, what the fuck are you talking about?

If you read the two posts directly above yours, you'll find anything but bullshit and snobbishness. KM and Kraid are just explaining how it works, and even offered solutions to your issue.

Smite. Failure to read and comprehend, all credibility lost. (At least in my eyes)
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up