GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 12:42:12 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Community Project 1 : Monitor Images  (Read 31650 times)

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
Re: Community Project 1 : Monitor Images
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 06:25:48 am »

Since I never really worked with animated gif images myself I have to ask: how many pictures can you transform into one single gif? But I know you can set the pictures per second somewhere - how (in terms of "is it still practicable to do that, i.e. would it take too much memory or slow the game down significantly?")  would its size influence the game if you made a looping gif with >= 24 fps and a lenght of like 20 or 30 seconds? (meaning 480 or 720 pictures)

It's just... the camera is still a little jumpy for the latest in - even russian - technology, let alone for security equipment that's used by the Janus group.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 08:23:36 am »

Framerate and duration are far to high.
Even with a compressed 128x128 image which is aproximatly 10kb the final animated texture would be 7200 kb (roughly 7MB) for your 30 seconds texture.
That's far to much for something like a monitor screen.

Also, please don't use gif to export the images.
Rather do a series of single frames in .tga or other lossless image formats.
Name your pictures like texture0000.tga, texture0001.tga, ...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 01:23:11 pm by killermonkey »

Hans_Sherman

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Hans_Sherman has no influence.
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 09:59:30 am »

Cheers, guys. It was just an example. The explosion was just a placeholder. And I agree with the funny element thing, which is what I'm mainly aiming for.

I've got a new one in the works, just bit tied up with packing for going home from Uni.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 12:47:11 pm »

Also, please don't use gif to export the images.
Rather do a series of single frames in .tga or other looseless image formats.
Name your pictures like texture0000.tga, texture0001.tga, ...

I did wonder about that, I'll upload my targas, I guess .gif is just useful for a preview in the thread.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 106
  • WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!
    • Euphonic.dev
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 03:26:24 am »

Decided to remake the original N64 monitor image of the guy talking. Used an old soviet cap I own and an overcoat for the photos. The Russian translates into "Transmission: Captain Alexander."

.tga files can be found in a .zip here: http://www.mediafire.com/?zznuz5gtzjq

- - - - -

.tga files can be found in a .zip here: http://www.mediafire.com/?uguehnnznay

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 02:13:34 pm »

Hmmm...Pirate looks okay, but i'd say make the views complete views of each side and make the display time of each longer.

As with the commander, it needs a few filters to make the transmission look low quality (lines going across the screen and whatnot), because right now it looks like some weird advertisement that no-one understands.
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 03:32:08 pm »

Hmmm...Pirate looks okay, but i'd say make the views complete views of each side and make the display time of each longer.

And Euphonic, if you could get an actual Tiger helicopter blueprint, it would be even better. Do as E-S said and add some scan lines and some noise filter to the first one.

Luchador

• Retired Lead Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 175
  • Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 05:34:24 pm »

Haha man I love that hat! Is there any chance you could do it with more than two shades of green? See how the original talking guy looked:

Also I'd use a sans-serif font for an old computer screen. Don't worry about the scanlines I'll take care of those, but you could add some noise or pixelation.

Also, nobody make the bar graphs because I already did  :P

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 08:28:26 pm »

Euphonic was trying to do this guy:

not the other one.

But sure, there are a few things which could be changed to improve this sequence.
Right now it looks like a Poster of Ché.
Please change it back to 8bit greyscale and add a background.

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 106
  • WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!
    • Euphonic.dev
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2010, 12:24:22 am »

Changed to 8-bit grayscale and added pixels. Changed the font to sanserif. Any thoughts?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2010, 01:32:31 am »

DO NOT ADD SCAN LINES AND BARS TO THE FINAL PRODUCT (.gif is fine though)

Those will be added with proxies in the material to make it completely random and consistent with the other monitors.

Xebozone

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2010, 06:11:37 pm »

Here's a nice console scroller!
Hope you guys like it!

EDIT: Removed a line of pixels that over-scrolled

is 256x256 high enough resolution? I mean, the player will probably be pretty close to some of the monitors.
I suppose through heavy FX such as scanlines and noise it could be OK...

(Image attached, login to see it)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 07:13:24 pm by Xebozone »

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 11:59:45 pm »

I like, especially with the varying pauses lengths.

And props to Euphonic's use of props.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

olileauk

• Last vestige of [L[T]K]
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • olileauk has no influence.
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 11:35:43 pm »

Figured I'd join in. =) Here goes. This is a WIP, I should probably add at least some colour.

EDIT: and yes, I know, the curve isn't properly curved it's a bit broken.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:26:59 pm by olileauk »
Been here since Alpha 1.1... Those were the days.

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 05:35:23 am »

Is that just a screenshot of the movie?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up