GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 18, 2024, 12:34:40 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A virus within the system  (Read 4196 times)

EduCatOR

• The OG
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • EduCatOR has no influence.
    • The Gravel Pit
A virus within the system
« on: June 19, 2009, 06:41:57 pm »

Hello everyone, me again.  ;D

So I'll make this short - last night I attempted to download the newest patch and what not in order to put up a ded server once more. I went to modDB download page and then somehow got to the fileplanet page.

Started the download however I received the WORST virus I've ever seen. It was like the anti-virus 2009 BS, except worse. It disabled my browsers, and would not let me run ANY programs. I tried system restore and it failed with epic proportions.

IMO the ONLY option is a total reformat. I attempted this morning and that even failed! Needless to say I'm taking the computer to someone smarter than I when I get off of work in about a half hour.

I really just wanted to warn people, because this is the worst thing Ive seen in years. It came through the browser....f'd every little thing up. Pretty pissed but hey, live and learn I guess. Windows truly is some garbage software. Should have given my mac a hug before I left.

Anyways if I get the puter up and running again I'll give it another shot.

Take care.

Edu

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Re: A virus within the system
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 09:22:56 pm »

One of my least favorite things is computer viruses.

So are you saying you picked this up from fileplanet, or was there a virus within a fake GE:S server install?

Just curious, what browser were you using?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 12:14:50 am by The SSL »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 10:27:16 pm »

As i work for moddb i can say that we have only had three virus been uploaded and since i uploaded the patch as well it should be fine. I will check it out though (on me mac to be safe).

EduCatOR

• The OG
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • EduCatOR has no influence.
    • The Gravel Pit
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 06:39:46 am »

Yea this was like that "anti-virus 2009" crap but on steroids.....

I was using firefox, and to be honest it was probably file-planet rather then moddb - although I got the fileplanet link through that. Anyways all is well now... :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up