GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 24, 2024, 10:30:06 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Something to think about?  (Read 24073 times)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: Something to think about?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2007, 01:29:35 am »

Perfect Dark was a case study to demonstrate how something good can turn to shit if your goes to eleven, and you try for twelve.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

DanUK

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • DanUK has no influence.
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2007, 02:38:24 am »

I'm sure Rare would really like to do it by their selfs, but they couldn`t cause Nintendo still got the Rights on Goldeneye.
So it would be a kind of Backdoor for it.

In regards to the rights issues, I think Kraid's right - there's a post here with some of my findings about licensing: http://forums.goldeneyesource.com/index.php/topic,933.0.html.

Dan.

Shaken not Stirred

• 00 Agent
  • Shaken not Stirred is looked down upon.
    • FP.tk
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2007, 08:41:21 am »

Are you kidding? Perfect Dark was horrible.
Disagree. I rather liked Perfect Dark (not Zero, of course). It was the last great and ambitious game on the N64. GoldenEye is superior, but Perfect Dark is still a VERY close competitor.

Xanatos

• Colombian Decaffeinated Coffee Crystals
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Xanatos has no influence.
    • The Janus Syndicate
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 10:10:40 am »

Are you kidding? Perfect Dark was horrible.

...you did not just say that

Lággy

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 10:26:10 am »

Perfect Dark lacked a stable FPS. Some levels it was unplayable and choppy. Perfect Dark would have been awesome if the FPS was like Goldeneye.

Shaken not Stirred

• 00 Agent
    • FP.tk
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2007, 12:05:00 pm »

Perfect Dark lacked a stable FPS. Some levels it was unplayable and choppy. Perfect Dark would have been awesome if the FPS was like Goldeneye.
True but with certain levels it mind it was graphically and gameplay-wise a close rival of GE.

The bottom line is that PD was too much for it's time and it's system.

oboe

• Secret Agent
  • oboe is looked down upon.
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2007, 12:14:45 pm »

...you did not just say that
How awesomely stupid are elements like Wallhacks (farsight) and aimbots (farsight, laptop gun)?
Sure, the single player was interesting, but some elements were just too cheap and stupid.

Also, they changed (for the worse) my favorite part about GE, the grenade launcher.

Aliens, Corporate World Domination, Police Robots, Cloaking Devices, all things that are laughable.

Also, my favorite thing to do, was to load up a multiplayer game with 8 perfect sims, nothing but explosives all around (nbombs too), and play until my n64 lagged out.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 12:19:42 pm by oboe »

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2007, 02:54:48 pm »

:: Aliens, Corporate World Domination, Police Robots, Cloaking Devices, all things that are laughable.

Things that exist in real life suck in SF video games.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

oboe

• Secret Agent
  • oboe is looked down upon.
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2007, 03:27:53 pm »

The only cool science fiction game was Deus Ex, the rest suck in comparison (lol, hl2).

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2007, 04:58:21 pm »

Pip pip! +1

Shaken not Stirred

• 00 Agent
    • FP.tk
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2007, 12:22:49 am »

How awesomely stupid are elements like Wallhacks (farsight) and aimbots (farsight, laptop gun)?
Sure, the single player was interesting, but some elements were just too cheap and stupid.

Also, they changed (for the worse) my favorite part about GE, the grenade launcher.

Aliens, Corporate World Domination, Police Robots, Cloaking Devices, all things that are laughable.

Also, my favorite thing to do, was to load up a multiplayer game with 8 perfect sims, nothing but explosives all around (nbombs too), and play until my n64 lagged out.
GoldenEye had everything we saw in a movie, so you'd get a sense of crappy low-poly deja-vu. At least Perfect Dark had a reasonably playable set of singeplayer missions with VARIETY, something which GoldenEye lacked.

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2007, 03:30:28 am »

maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?

Semedi

• Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Semedi has no influence.
    • GNardone.com
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2007, 04:03:56 am »

GoldenEye had everything we saw in a movie, so you'd get a sense of crappy low-poly deja-vu. At least Perfect Dark had a reasonably playable set of singeplayer missions with VARIETY, something which GoldenEye lacked.

Goldeneye lacked variety? Did you say that with a straight face?
Sims 3 Producer - Follow me on Twitter @SimGuruGraham

Peon

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • Peon might someday be someone...Peon might someday be someone...Peon might someday be someone...Peon might someday be someone...
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2007, 05:54:13 am »

Sometimes I take my computer over to my cousins and we do some lan matches, which makes for great fun.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who would do this.

Also, I am confused why some people are dumping on Perfect Dark. YES, I know all about the framerate issues, and I find that a very unfortunate ding in an otherwise well polished game. However, after playing multi a lot you learn ways to control the framerate (no more than 4 bots in 3-4 player matches helps a little), but at the same time let's not pretend that Goldeneye never had any frame drops.

Goldeneye was better than PD in only a few categories that I can see. GE64 had better multiplayer maps, but just by a little seeing as how PD had a slightly improved version of Temple. GE64's overall motif, story, and characters were better...which is not suprising comsidering the source material. GE64 also has a better single player campaign, with much more compelling objectives, and execution. Basing the missions after scenes of a hit Bond movie sure didn't hurt things any.

Some people consider the inferior single player mode of PD to be a huge downfall. I, however, was mostly getting it for the improved multi-player, which I could now play by myself against bots unlike Goldeneye. And you can hardly call PD's single player mode shitte...most of it is highly entertaining. Again, it's not as sharp as GE in that facet, but it's no slouch either.

I will say, that the unwavering support by fans of GE64, in the face of some really stiff competition, is very touching......awwwww. It's like true love or something...they refuse to replace it on their pedestal.

Shaken not Stirred

• 00 Agent
    • FP.tk
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2007, 07:27:09 am »

I can, though, say this:

Once Perfect Dark: Source comes out...we'll see which one's the better mod. I can guarantee that more than 5 people will be playing at any given time (hint hint.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up