GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 24, 2024, 11:05:27 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Yeyinde's WIP Gamemodes  (Read 20278 times)

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
Re: Yeyinde's WIP Gamemodes
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 08:07:23 am »

Thank you so much for doing this. The testers and developers really appreciate your work. You bring the spark and inspiration back to GE:S. Now to get surface out when these new gamemodes are in. I know, I know, it is almost done.. :D

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 06:19:12 pm »

Yeyinde I had a chance to play your gamemode this morning and I must say it is pretty top notch! Here are some comments and suggestions that I compiled from the people playing (including myself):

1. Reset player's scores on round start. If you don't do that then the match score gets compounded.

2. Give feedback to a killed player on who killed them (assassin or non-assassin)

3. Show the distance in whole numbers or at most 1 significant digit (ties into the update rate from previous).

4. Show whether the target is above or below you next to the distance. If on same level, show only the distance. We assume a floor height of 128 units.

5. Players who are not following the gameplay (ie. attacking any player they want to) will spoil the entire game. Simply put, if you retaliate on someone spoiling the gameplay YOU ARE PUNISHED. There has to be some mechanism that detects players who are constantly attacking non-targets and either punt them to spectator, remove their ability to inflict damage, or send them a nasty gram as a big red message on their screen. People who retaliate to being attacked (by anyone) should not be punished either. This will require the gameplay to store a dynamic list of "recent attacks" to cross reference a death to a recent attack.

6. Kills to non-targets with the knife cause extreme point loss. Point loss should not incur the bonuses that legit kills have.

Yeyinde

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Yeyinde has no influence.
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 01:55:28 am »

Thank you so much for doing this. The testers and developers really appreciate your work. You bring the spark and inspiration back to GE:S. Now to get surface out when these new gamemodes are in. I know, I know, it is almost done.. :D
Thank you, and no problem!  I really love how the devs left game mode scripting open instead of hard-coding them into the mod itself.  Without that, things like this just would not be possible. :)

Yeyinde I had a chance to play your gamemode this morning and I must say it is pretty top notch! Here are some comments and suggestions that I compiled from the people playing (including myself):

1. Reset player's scores on round start. If you don't do that then the match score gets compounded.

2. Give feedback to a killed player on who killed them (assassin or non-assassin)

3. Show the distance in whole numbers or at most 1 significant digit (ties into the update rate from previous).

4. Show whether the target is above or below you next to the distance. If on same level, show only the distance. We assume a floor height of 128 units.

5. Players who are not following the gameplay (ie. attacking any player they want to) will spoil the entire game. Simply put, if you retaliate on someone spoiling the gameplay YOU ARE PUNISHED. There has to be some mechanism that detects players who are constantly attacking non-targets and either punt them to spectator, remove their ability to inflict damage, or send them a nasty gram as a big red message on their screen. People who retaliate to being attacked (by anyone) should not be punished either. This will require the gameplay to store a dynamic list of "recent attacks" to cross reference a death to a recent attack.

6. Kills to non-targets with the knife cause extreme point loss. Point loss should not incur the bonuses that legit kills have.
    1. Noted and will be changed.  Turns out, I had wrongly named the round start event definition.

2. Noted and will be added very easily thanks to the processing that goes on in OnPlayerKilled event.

3. Noted and will be changed to 1 decimal place.  This just involves changing a value in the rounding float call.

4. I actually wanted to do something like this, along with a crude, arrow compass.  Unfortunately, I could not figure out how to grab the raw positions of the players, vectorize the two points, and calculate the angle from it.

5. Noted and will be added in the next release through two more cvars.  I'll think I'll be going with the no-damage option.  The bad players will be given a message in the middle of their screen with the time left on their punishment. The defaults for this may be 15 seconds of no damage after 5 bad kills.  Doing a good kill (target or assassin) will reduce the bad kill counter, not reset it.  Hopefully, this will prevent those people from killing 4 then killing the target, then killing 4, etc.

6. Noted and will be changed with the next release.  I thought it would be a good idea to severely punish bad kills like that, but looks like I was wrong.  Ah well. :)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 03:35:35 am »

Awesome. You should just compare the z values of the positions, you don't have to go crazy with vectorizing it:

GEUtil.Vector.__getitem__( GEPlayer.GetAbsOrigin(), 2 )

this will return the z component of the player's position. A little awkward, I will fix this in v4.1 to be more direct (as in GEPlayer.GetAbsOrigin().z())...

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 03:38:53 am »

Dang just reading this topic makes me excited and scared of my programming course this fall.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Yeyinde

• Agent
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 12:35:41 am »

Time for an update!  The game mode now includes the changes I mentioned above, and some more. 

Other update 1: I've change the target selection code to pick from a list of available targets instead of iterating over all 32 player spots, checking if they're in spectator or not, then picking one.  The game now adds players into the list when they join a team other than spectator, and removes them if they join spectator or disconnect.  This change should fix that target selection bug from before.

Other update 2. The target hud progress bar now shows on two lines, to avoid it conflicting with the chat area somewhat.  The new display is like so:

[CLAN]SomePlayer (Character)
123.4m Above/Below
(RADAR)

This change allows me to make the name string and distance strings have different colours in the possible future.  We'll see what we can think of that uses that in the future.

As always, there is more testing on these things.  I'd like to give a big thanks to the OWS server for putting up with all of this testing and revision that has been going on.  You guys rock!

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 02:19:26 am »

Quick thought: if you want to color something do it by range. When you get close (~10m) it goes to yellow and when you are REALLY close (~3m) it goes red. Would be an instant way to tell when you are right on top of the guy you are after without having to stare at the text. (Remember don't color if above/below is active)

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 08:09:57 am »

Gamemode keeps getting better and better. :) I think it would be a good idea to have a color coded beacon that goes around the victim, if you're in the middle of bunch of May Day's I can see there being a problem deciding which one to attack.
I'd like to give a big thanks to the OWS server for putting up with all of this testing and revision that has been going on.  You guys rock!
You're welcome <3
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:12:18 am by Proxie »

Yeyinde

• Agent
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 09:03:04 pm »

Alright, it's time for an update.  I managed to get some actual testing done with JcFerggy a few days ago.  Thanks to him, I managed to fix a few bugs and add in the distance colour indicator.  If all goes well, I won't need any more bugs to fix up until I get the code ready for the 4.1 release. :)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 10:34:08 pm »

SHAZAM! I can't wait to play the new version!!

On that note, I need to update our wiki with our python code its about time that got some attention...

EMH Mark I

• Earthworm Jimbo
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • EMH Mark I is working their way up.EMH Mark I is working their way up.EMH Mark I is working their way up.
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 12:28:30 pm »

Nice to know you got some of those annoying bugs fixed  :).  Server's been updated, so just hit one of us up about giving it a try when you catch the server being populated.

Yeyinde

• Agent
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 05:39:08 pm »

Well, according to my luck, it seems we have a few more errors.  This time around, I'm putting in some debugging code to see if I can't isolate where and when these errors are happening during live tests.  The debugging information can be turned on with the ass_debug CVar (defaults to 0).  Big errors that throw exception objects will be displayed even if ass_debug is 0, so I can at least find what might be happening in the functions.

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 01:05:19 am »

Why not add a item highlight to your target? Thus if there is more than one char you can tell them apart

Yeyinde

• Agent
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 01:36:44 am »

Why not add a item highlight to your target? Thus if there is more than one char you can tell them apart
Unfortunately, as I've been told, things like that are all-or-nothing settings, and cannot be made to have each individual player have a different outlining/radar setting.

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 08:50:26 am »

What about the left 4 dead glow that we have on object in specific game modes?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up