GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 04:30:12 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deterring Exploits/Griefs - admin/dev solvable?  (Read 8518 times)

[GoldenGirls]Bea Arthur

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • [GoldenGirls]Bea Arthur has no influence.
Deterring Exploits/Griefs - admin/dev solvable?
« on: February 12, 2009, 10:56:09 pm »

I have noticed, over the past few days that since the beta has been out, there has been a lot of spillover from the general Source / L4D community consisting of griefers. In one example, a person by the name of "Walter P. Cunningham" (ingame) was playing in ge_caves. This person camped the RC-P90 and Body armor area the whole match, raking in some 50 odd kills and dying 10 times. He/she waited until a person would spawn at the area where the caves split off ahead of the player (with the exploding generator on one side, and behind the player a ramp area going off into another part of the map), then they grabbed the armor and RC-P90 ammo and wasted the player before they could make it out of the room. On the few occasions that a player or group of players could dispatch this individual, when they were without their armor and weapons, they were short work.

The griefing makes for an incredibly frustrating experience on an amazing and incredibly fun mod. I didn't really bitch much about it, I just left. The problem is, that Goldeneye in this incarnation is built on an engine and client/server technology that utilizes a new rule set, which will of course allow people to take advantage of said technology to grief other players.

A question I have is whether it is possible to code in a contigency against people spawn camping in this manner. I know that from a mapping standpoint, it is possible by tweaking weapon placement and spawns, but not everyone is going to be able to perfect that as the amount of people playing on the server increases. My thoughts were to code something in that would take the event of a new player spawning as one variable, then counting how many times the griefing player would kill that new player within 5 seconds of the new player spawning, and then either kill or kick the player griefing. I figured it would be possible by calculating a radius from the spawn points of so many game units, and seeing how many times that player killed someone spawning from that point within so many seconds of the victim spawning.

Could be something to supplement an admin mod also. I realize some people like to grief other players for fun, but it is annoying when other people are trying to just play. I know that what is "fair play" is really a semantics debate, like killing people with slappers if they run across your sight, and I don't really worry about that so much because I do it myself sometimes.

Barring that, maybe another solution would be to increase the spawn protection of spawning players, and detonate all proxy mines within x distance of the player spawn, flagging unarmed newly spawned players by an aura, and causing damage to the armed attacker?

Sure this seems like a HURRRRRR post but I think the way this mod is played by other people could perhaps show people in the community who are fundamentally responsible for the experiences of people who play their servers how to make things a little more balanced/fun, and people who make these mods.

So far, this is the only thing I have noticed has been a problem with the way people play.
I hope my feedback can be of some assistance.

Rock on guys!

(P.S: Mod still kicks ass)

(P.P.S: I know that keeping track of up to 32 players spawning at one point could possibly be taxing on bandwidth for a server, but can any coders expound on the feasibility of doing this?)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:09:44 pm by [GoldenGirls]Bea Arthur »

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
Re: Deterring Exploits/Griefs - admin/dev solvable?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 11:10:14 pm »

Best way to reduce camping is to split the ammo and guns up so the player has to keep moving to replenish, could also use sv_weaponstay 1 (if it available in GES) it stops players getting ammo from the spawned weapons.

some maps do not have 32 spawn points.

P.S
Spawnkilling is fun.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:12:48 pm by keefy »

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 08:25:56 am »

we currently have spawn protection in it gives the player 2 seconds of invulnerability when the spawn, it breaks when the player attacks something though. so that generally handles proxy mines

as for people camping. we have a anti camp thing on the radar, that when someone hangs out in a small area for too long, they turn to a solid red dot on the radar, that's to let everyone know that's playing, that someone is being a bitch and to go kill them.

other than that generally its going to be up to server admins to kick people, or have their servers set up to vote kick.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

[Rhymenoceros]

• Secret Agent
  • [Rhymenoceros] is looked down upon.
    • heh...
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 08:29:58 am »

we currently have spawn protection in it gives the player 2 seconds of invulnerability...

Isn't it 3 seconds?
I'm so cool that I has negative rep.
And my graphics are so bad that I has wallhax.

drukqaddik

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • drukqaddik has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 10:38:28 am »

does the spawn protection work both ways? as in you cant kill anyone either for the 2 seconds or however long it is?

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 11:13:22 am »

I think you should implement some kind of harsh penalty for camping, not only turning into a red dot in the radar. People think this is CS or TF2 of L4D; it is a completely different reality and one thing I notice is that many of today's players haven't played the original so they aren't on par with the GoldenEye gameplay philosophy, which is that of a fast-paced multiplayer match with no camping involved. Besides, camping only makes things worst.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 11:15:04 am »

Once a spawning player fires his weapon on an opponent before the standard invuln time he loses invuln instantly, then its fair game. My advice is know your weapon spawns and head straight to them even if its klobb level weaponary.

I dont get why people play like what you mentioned. It's some need to be getting 80% ratio in a game that is more fun than serious. Personally i like getting on runs where im cruising around from kill to kill using the best strategies i can on the fly. I usually never ends up giving me 30-5, more like 25-10.

I simply dont get the grieving tactic for our game, it is just driving people away from our mod if anything. :P If people are being overly whoring, make a demo and submit to the servers website (check the motd for this info) is the best action we have for you. Let them decide if they want people like that.

Our anti-camping feature is amazing compared with say the previous beta, but isnt flawless, and may be looked at ; but that is not an official statement.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:17:58 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 11:31:01 am »

You cannot force ppl to play the game a certain way, you can just encourage them and guide them in the right direction.
e.g. no matter how inaccurate a gun is when spamming with bullets and how big the advantage of using the aim is, there'll always be ppl spamming with them.

PPK

• PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 11:35:35 am »

You cannot force ppl to play the game a certain way, you can just encourage them and guide them in the right direction.
e.g. no matter how inaccurate a gun is when spamming with bullets and how big the advantage of using the aim is, there'll always be ppl spamming with them.

I do not want to force them to play in a certain way, I only want to teach them to play fair and fun. It will be a win-win situation, that's for sure.

[GoldenGirls]Bea Arthur

• Agent
  • [GoldenGirls]Bea Arthur has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 03:45:05 pm »

Hey, I don't care about someone mowing me down with the RC-P90 when I'm unarmed. If I can't handle the heat get the hell out of the kitchen, right? What I can't stand, is spawning in one spot 15 times in a map to have the same guy camping there full battle rattle with the P90 to mow me down before I can figure out whether I want to shit or wind my wristwatch.

I didn't know about the red dot thing, though... Heh. I thought that was like a person who had just killed me or something.

Nozzy06

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Nozzy06 has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 04:41:34 pm »

I think at times camping involves a certain strategy. As long as you aren't camping the armor or spawn areas I don't see an issue, besides it's annoying to get bitched at for camping when you're trying to achieve Octopussy. =/ I've killed many people camping in legit spots and I've been killed while camping. I don't think it has much negative effect and in cases is a good strategy depending on the situation. But some people see it differently and I just get flamed for 10 minutes.
"Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders."

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 05:12:41 pm »

When I refer to camping, I mean, most of the times, armor or spawn camping. Those two are the most annoying and cheap ones.

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 05:27:57 pm »

I call it armour control not camping. 
If I rememebr rightly you could shoot the armour and it blew up then respawned like normal  but if you damaged it enough without blowing it up it was not possible to pick it up and it would not respawn until someone blew it up.

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 05:31:42 pm »

In GE:S it doesn't work that way. While playing today in Archives with Timed Mines and Automatics, I remember that after so much explosion on the room with the pillars (the one right in front of the interrogation room), the armor that was inside was out in the corridor and I happened to pick it up. Funny thing though. The armor nor the ammo crates behave like they did in GE007; they used to explode as keefy pointed out.

StrikerMan780

• Hellbender
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • StrikerMan780 has no influence.
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 06:03:50 am »

Perhaps a Server option that makes you Respawn a far as possible from anyone who is camping. Eg: Before respawning, the game checks the spawn points and the distance between it and a camper. If it is too close, move the next spawn, and it will spawn you when it finds a clear area.

Check out [SM]'s HL2: Deathmatch Server! I've worked hard on making it the best it can be.

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 10:07:13 am »

@Striker: I guess that spawning is already made the way you mentioned, although it doesn't seem like it is. I guess one of the programmers (I guess it was KM) pointed out that the system isn't working properly because there are too many people in the servers for the system to work correctly.

StrikerMan780

• Hellbender
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • StrikerMan780 has no influence.
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 01:33:57 am »

Maybe the system needs a little more work perhaps. Another game I play has a similar system, and it seems to work perfectly even on 32 player games. I think it discerns Players from Camping players. You'll spawn in a crowded place, but not near anyone who has been in the same spot for over a few minutes. Now and then, it will spawn you in such a place, but that is extremely rare.

Check out [SM]'s HL2: Deathmatch Server! I've worked hard on making it the best it can be.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up