GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 06:11:40 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Level Designer: Classics  (Read 17753 times)

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
Re: Level Designer: Classics
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 03:05:11 pm »

So? Learn to build maps with hammer, it's really not that hard to learn the basics.
But for the textures, are you seriouse about using these extreme low-res textures in a source game?

Create your own or use existing textures, there's no need for having it look exactly as blury as the N64 version. Try to keep the look but have it hi-res, like rare does with the XBLA port of PD or the cancled Goldeneye remake.

[GE:S Com] DF Ank1

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • [GE:S Com] DF Ank1 has no influence.
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 06:42:42 pm »

Mhm yes GoldenEye have only 64x64, 32x32, 64x32 and 32x32 bitmaps. Very low-res. Have to make higher one... Mhm....

Well the only problem what i have with Hammer is to set all those settings.
Big Fan of the Arecibo Observatory / Antenna Cradle.
I would pay money to get the old cradle back. Ad me on Facebook. I am ever glad about new members. Specially when they come from GE:S. My name is Rudolf von Ank

kraid

• Game Artist
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 12:57:35 pm »

Which settings? The mod setup?

http://forums.goldeneyesource.net/index.php/topic,2954.0.html

Or anything else?

• Secret Agent
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 02:42:11 pm »

I mean the settings in "Configure Hammer"

http://forums.goldeneyesource.net/index.php/topic,2954.0.html , the reply form major. He post a picure. I mean those settings.

And then the next problem i think is to clip the level.
If you don´t know what you mean with clip : A Clip file is a file, where the player can walk. So i have to clip ground, stairs, air that player can walk. or does the Hammer Editor make this automaticly ?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:44:34 pm by [GE:S Com] DF Ank1 »
I would pay money to get the old cradle back. Ad me on Facebook. I am ever glad about new members. Specially when they come from GE:S. My name is Rudolf von Ank

kraid

• Game Artist
    • my Homepage
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 03:36:30 pm »

Yea, Hammer will build the colision data from the Geometry used to build the level.
There are things like Playerclip (regular Brush with the Playerclip texture applied) and other Tool textures too, but they are for additional things like invisible Walls e.g. to prevent the player from beeing caught on tiny poly edges.

It will even run a visibility calculation during compiling, to check which parts of the map will be visible for the player from which point of the map.
Ofc. this often needs some optimizing in certain areas of a map. But that's more advanced stuff you should take a look at later.

• Secret Agent
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 07:08:30 pm »

So? Learn to build maps with hammer, it's really not that hard to learn the basics.
But for the textures, are you seriouse about using these extreme low-res textures in a source game?

Ok now i am going to learn mapping with Hammer, how you saw in some threads.
It is not so, that i have nearly no experience, it´s Hammer. I have to learn with it. I don´t know how excatly the editor works.
I would better create Levels with DeleD, but how you said : Hammer have more tools and compatibility.

My first target/goal is to create 1 room ( cube ) , and that i can play it in GE:S. I don´t want more, i don´t wory about the rest it´s only the way from making a room to play the room in GE:S

If this happend, i will start with classic maps.
I do not make myself concerns around the textures. I have all of them. Yes it´s a low resolution, but in emergency there is ever the way to use other textures or create own ones.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up