GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:32:29 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D Artist School  (Read 8236 times)

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
3D Artist School
« on: August 07, 2011, 12:33:04 pm »

Hello prospective students,

Im going to be teaching public online classes in 3D game art over a series of weeks and this is an open invite to join. These classes are of course FREE.

Why?

Basically its my job to help other developers out with whatever 3D assets they may need, however, because of my recent change in employment i don't really have the time to commit to that. So instead of giving them a fish, i decided to teach them instead. It doesn't really make much difference to me how many people want to learn, so i thought id do this once and open it up to everyone.

The info

This class will aim to teach those with 0 working knowledge of 3D Studio MAX or ny other 3D applications to create 3D models up to a standard where students feel they have to confidence to learn beyond on their own. It is preferred but not essential that you have a fair/good drawing ability as this will help you grasp the subject matter. The class aims to teach a working knowledge of all fields of game art. You may attend as many or as few classes as you wish however if your name is on the classlist please DO TELL ME if you will not be attending a class as otherwise you will hold the class up and i will be annoyed :P Classes will normally be (at a guess) on a sunday at some reasonable hour in GMT. They will be recorded so if you miss a class you do not fall behind (and so you can review the lessons at your own leisure) however attending the classes in person is recommended as you will benefit greatly from 1-to-1 advice/tuition.

To take part in my class you will need:

Autodesk 3D Studio MAX 2010
Adobe Photoshop (CS2 - CS5)
A PC capable of running the above software
Microphone + Speakers / Headset
A decent internet connection

If you need any help getting anything in the list above please send me a PM here and i will assist you.

Forthcoming Lessons:

Coming Soon...

Class List

Post here to join up now!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 12:38:26 pm by Kinky »

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
Re: 3D Artist School
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 01:08:14 pm »

Downloading 3Ds Max now.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 04:31:56 pm »

Definitely count me in.

Gabbo

• Cate Archer's secret lover
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 05:03:55 pm »

In like Flint - Will GIMP work as a substitute for PS?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:05:41 pm by Gabbo »

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 05:17:58 pm »

Yea as long as you know what youre doing with it. Im not really teaching texturing, the Photoshop segment is more about how to use what weve done in max to make texturing easier.

In the same way people can use whatever version of 3DS MAX they want. But im going to be using 2010, and only have experience with 8, 9, 2008, 2009 and 2010. So if you use 2012 and something is different there really isnt anything I can do about it.

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 08:31:55 pm »

I am so in.

Gabbo

• Cate Archer's secret lover
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 10:00:27 pm »

Yea as long as you know what youre doing with it. Im not really teaching texturing, the Photoshop segment is more about how to use what weve done in max to make texturing easier.

In the same way people can use whatever version of 3DS MAX they want. But im going to be using 2010, and only have experience with 8, 9, 2008, 2009 and 2010. So if you use 2012 and something is different there really isnt anything I can do about it.
I have an old copy of PS I can dig up if need be.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 11:09:45 pm »

Sounds awesome bro. I'm so in!
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 10:08:07 pm »

Could totally use this.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 05:34:49 pm »

I might watch the tapes.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 12:04:25 am »

I'm going to wait for the DVD release
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 02:42:13 am »

so what would be covered in the class?

building a map? models?

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 05:23:59 am »

i want to learn max so im down
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms
Pages: [1]   Go Up