GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 25, 2024, 05:12:50 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to rotate the "Arm"of the Antenna Cradle ?  (Read 7454 times)

[GE:S Com] DF Ank1

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • [GE:S Com] DF Ank1 has no influence.
Is there a way to rotate the "Arm"of the Antenna Cradle ?
« on: December 24, 2009, 08:03:37 am »

I noticed, that when Alec and Boris activate the Satellite, that the "Arm" of the Antenna Cradle ( Arecibo Observatory ) is rotate to the position. So is it possible to make this ingame ?
After i tried it with the GoldenEye Setup Editor, I noticed that there are many problems with clipping, and this old game don´t support that. So I´m pretty sure that is it possible @ GE:S, or ?

Big Fan of the Arecibo Observatory / Antenna Cradle.
I would pay money to get the old cradle back. Ad me on Facebook. I am ever glad about new members. Specially when they come from GE:S. My name is Rudolf von Ank

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
Re: Is there a way to rotate the "Arm"of the Antenna Cradle ?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 08:43:20 am »

Well, possible yes, but i would stay away from this since source also got a problem with moving things when players are on there.
VisLeafs and area Portals shouldn't be a Problem in this case, allmost the whole structure is func_detail anyway.
Try it if you like, but i don't think this would work well for Multiplayer.
For singleplayer this might be an option, allthough i would rather rotate the part of the map where the player is not on.
Maybe just at the start of the mission till the player reached the stairs down to the center.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 05:05:49 pm »

Possible but not viable for mulitplayer at all. Visually it won't look good since lightmaps are static, so when it's 180 degrees from where it started all the shadows will be on the wrong side.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

• Secret Agent
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 02:36:38 pm »

no way to make the shadows where it would be after the antenna turn `? i mean you could hide the shadow until the antenna is in position and then, the other shadow will be disable and the new shadow willl be enable ^^. or something like that
I would pay money to get the old cradle back. Ad me on Facebook. I am ever glad about new members. Specially when they come from GE:S. My name is Rudolf von Ank

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 02:23:28 am »

That's not how lightmaps work, when you compile the map all the shadows are baked into the 3D geometry; they can't be moved or modified in anyway past turning them off completely and thereby looking the map look flat and unnatural.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 04:48:49 am »

A functional rotating arm for the current map was almost implemented but time was an issue.
Might happen later on. I really hope so. (It's something I've suggested since pre-Beta 3... >.>)
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 06:53:52 am »

prop_dynamic entities are throwing realtime shadows, but i doubt the whole arm could be made of one prop_dynamic.

• Secret Agent
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 08:58:02 am »

ah it seems to be possible , but its a very difficult challange

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 09:00:40 pm »

prop_dynamic entities are throwing realtime shadows, but i doubt the whole arm could be made of one prop_dynamic.

But there would be no self-shadowing, and the collision would be wonky especially when it's moving.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW
Pages: [1]   Go Up