GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:42:08 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Laboratory 100205: Goldfinger, First Draft  (Read 30568 times)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
VC's Laboratory 100205: Goldfinger, First Draft
« on: February 05, 2010, 01:52:24 pm »

Goldfinger

Objective: Accumulate all of the gold.

Implementation:
The Bank begins with a gold reserve and draws from it to spawn gold bars throughout the map for players to acquire.  Whenever a player picks up gold, he also gets a golden gun with which to defend his investment and pursue further acquisitions, and the Bank attempts to add another gold bar to the map.  Once the Bank is depleted, whoever gets all the gold wins the round bounty.

Scoring:
Pick up any gold: +1
Kill someone who carries gold: +1
Steal dropped gold: +3
Kill someone with a gold bar: +2  (Do you guys think I can get KM to make Gold Bar a melee weapon?)
Collect all of the gold: +1 for each bar that entered play.

Achievement Drafts:  Scenario achievements aren't and may never be, but whatever.
Aurophobia - Play through a complete round without touching, or being touched by, gold.
Money, J-Money - Capture the gold of a player who carries over half of the bank's reserves.
Operation Grand Slam - Kill all enemy gold carriers, at least two, with a multikill.
Rags to Riches - Win a round by picking up all the gold when you held only one bar.
Economic Stimulator - (Lifetime stat) Disburse 300 gold bars.

This probably won't make 4, but it's possible...
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: VC's Laboratory 100205: Goldfinger, First Draft
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 03:15:08 pm »

It's an interesting idea.

Will a player lose all their gold when they die? It seems a little excessive, if for instance a player has 30 gold bars and they die a few seconds before the end of the round.

A 50% loss might be more appropriate, that way there's a progressive risk without total loss. If you have 1, you lose it. If you have 2, you lose 1. If you have 30, you lose 15. That way you've at least still got a fighting chance. It also means that competition is much more stiff, the person that killed you will have at least as much as you, so there's good reason to go after them for a higher reward.

A vendetta mechanic might be nice, for instance the person who last killed you is marked on your radar and will drop 100% of what they picked up from you if you kill them before anyone else.

Will gold only spawn in one location? It seems there's a lot of potential for camping, especially if you're the person who gets a gold bar first, it means you have the Golden Gun.

Oddjob's hat might make a nice weapon. I'm thinking Half-Life 2 sawblade style sticking into walls.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 03:16:46 pm by Mangley »
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 03:40:28 pm »

This is never going to work... Not only is this system totally unbalanced (the gold can never spawn somewhere practically everytime it's drawn and at the same time be as far away from player x as from the rest of all the players) but also when two people already collected a gold bar, and thus have a GG, the rest of all the players won't stand a chance at beating these two players.

It may be fun to play for about three rounds but after that I can assure you that no-one will ever host that game mode anymore...

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 04:25:04 pm »

Can you change the Gold Bars to Rings, and Bond to Sonic?
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 04:29:05 pm »

"This is never going to work"
That's what they said about invunerability periods and my more-accurate weapon designs.  At first.
Don't project your inability to combat an AuG onto other players, that's rude.

"Can you change the Gold Bars to Rings, and Bond to Sonic?"
No problem.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 08:57:01 pm »

Sounds like a good idea, minus acquiring the Golden Gun. Having a powerful gold bar melee weapon upon pickup is a good idea though.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 09:27:36 pm »

"This is never going to work"
That's what they said about invunerability periods and my more-accurate weapon designs.  At first.
Oh it's not like I don't trust you in accomplishing making such a game mode work, but I can't wrap my head around the exact way you are projecting your idea in your OP.

I am sure that if it's prototyped and playtested and then tweaked it will be awesome. I have all the confidence in the dev team since all they have made so far is epic and by the looks of it Beta 4 is not only going to be much more GoldenEye-ish, but also much more fun on the gameplay side of thing (not pixelshooting fun but mayhem fun).

Don't project your inability to combat an AuG onto other players, that's rude.
I don't even know what AuG means... But I know that there are people that are thus much skilled that even without a GG they can whipe the floor with skilled players, let alone let them have a GG... So then when the odd turn in their favor, like getting a GG for pwning, it could get extremely outbalanced; the weaker players get weaker and the stronger players get stronger.

A better approach, IMHO, would be that when players are kicking ass, then the rest should have a bit bigger advantage and not the other way around. That makes it a little like poker; the person that wins the first few round get a bigger stack and can play the big stack bully tactic. So now that there are newbies to GES already rage quiting servers (even because of me, and I am not that good) I can imagine a lot of players quiting the GF mode earlyer on and rendering this mode quite boring to newcomers to a round that's  already going on for a while...

Well I gues that's why it doesn't have a high chance of succeeding on public servers in it's current draft form...

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 02:29:07 am »

@V!NCENT:
The AuG is the abbreviation for Au->Aurum=Gold(en) G->Gun.
So yes, you already replied to what VC said, but I just wanted to point that out.

It's an interesting idea for a game mode, but as V!NCENT said it's maybe a little unbalanced.
Depends on a few things:
1.) whether the AuG body armor restriction is active or not
2.) how many bullets you have when obtaining the AuG
3.) what kind of weapons other players carry
4.) whether AuGs despawn or not when a player dies

In any case here's a suggestion adding a more tactical element to the scenario:
buying things for your earned bars.
This will drop you behind, but still you could have some benefit of it.
Possible things to buy would be AuG, AuG bullets, body armor, maybe even health or some kind of hitpoint increase (maybe even temporary, maybe extending you max health or max armor) or golden body armor (prevents being killed by an AuG shot to the body one time only).
Crucial for this would be the implementation where and how to buy stuff:
special zones or just plain everywhere?
buy menu or keyboard shortcuts?

Halving the players gold after death seems and/or encouraging revenge kills on the player who killed you - like Mangley suggested -  seem pretty good ideas as well.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 04:02:30 pm »

Kill someone with a gold bar: +2  (Do you guys think I can get KM to make Gold Bar a melee weapon?)

*WHACK*
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 06:14:46 pm »

@V!NCENT:
The AuG is the abbreviation for Au->Aurum=Gold(en)
Seriously... If you would be physically standing next to me I'd have asked you to slap me in the face >.<

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 07:44:45 pm »

*WHACK*
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 08:05:00 pm »

I like the idea of having a set amount of gold in play, but the idea of receiving a golden gun feels wrong to me. The only way I could see this working is if there were no other ammo for the golden gun in the map, and when you get the gun, it has like 3 or so bullets. This way people would have to think when to use it, instead of trying to spam it. And when they steal a gold bar you get another 3 bullets.

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 08:08:35 pm »

*WHACK*
Lol x'D

This way people would have to think when to use it, instead of trying to spam it. And when they steal a gold bar you get another 3 bullets.
Goldbar lying in front of the main screen in ge_control. You have a GG with 3 bullets. There are three other people there trying to grab it. You camp and while pressing shift you aim at the bar. Then when anybody tries to grab it you just plain deny it.

Sounds to me like a massive problem...

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 08:15:21 pm »

Yeah, I too think giving all the gold equipped players a golden gun is a terrible idea.

If you really want a golden gun in the set, I would recommend having the golden gun/golden pp7 randomly spawn sometimes instead of a gold bar. That way people can fight over it and stuff.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 08:36:30 pm »

Goldbar lying in front of the main screen in ge_control. You have a GG with 3 bullets. There are three other people there trying to grab it. You camp and while pressing shift you aim at the bar. Then when anybody tries to grab it you just plain deny it.
Is this any different from Control on MWtGG?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up