GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 03:38:52 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few suggestions  (Read 8820 times)

Kavinsky

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Kavinsky has no influence.
A few suggestions
« on: October 27, 2009, 03:09:29 am »

after learning the basics of css source combat and comming back to this mod I've learned to love it

however I have a few suggestions on how to make it better, please note these are suggestions not demands.

the mods great as it is and besides you've probably already delt with most of these issues for beta 4 anyways

1. that the current gameplay mode be put in the lower corner for anyone who just joined a server to see what the gameplay mode it is and then maybe it fades away after a few seconds.

2. that we be given the option to move the radar to one of 5 places as illustrated in my attachment via an option in the options menu

3. that during team deathmatches when you shoot your own teammate blood doesn't shootout like your shooting an enemy
and maybe a message pops up saying that its an allie

I've found myself chasing someone half way across the map thinking they were an enemy only to learn once they stood still and  had their name pop up that they were an allie

4. that your teammates name is always visible in team deathmatch but not your enemies to prevent the above from happening, maybe make this an option in the options menu.

5. maybe have the teams in team deathmatch show up as green and red, green for allies, red for hostiles. I can't really tell whos who with grey and white

6. maybe have the good guys wear black, and the bad guys wears white like in the spy vs spy comics for team matches. 

after all good guys and bad guys have both worn black and white in the bond films.

7. have the autoswitch weapons system switch you over to weapons based on there firerate rather than stoping power.

after all the cougar magnums not exactly a close quarters combat gun like the ppk.

8. maybe instead of having white vs black in teamatches we could switch them over to nameless henchmen in red and blue jumpsuits styled like the ones from the game evil genius

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: A few suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 03:32:44 am »

Here is the scoop (what is addressed and fixed in beta 4)

1. A new gameplay info section of the HUD

2. You can move the radar simply by editing scripts/HudLayout.res right now. A menu option *might* make it into Beta 4.

3. Fixed, there was an error in the blood spray code in Beta 3.1.4 that didn't supress it for teammates

4. Remaining as hover only to prevent HUD spam.

5. Not gonna happen

6. Not gonna happen

7. Turn off autoswitch if you don't like it. No priority system is ever going to make everyone happy.

8. Not gonna happen

Thanks for the critiques!

Kavinsky

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 03:49:24 am »

alright thanks for the swift reply and I agree with the stuff you said

but I do have one more Idea for number 4, maybe make it so the name shows up faster and in a bigger text instead of having it on all the time.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 04:24:54 am »

IMO the text is plenty big for me. You are welcome to modify the size of the text in "gesource/resource/ClientScheme.res" around line 970 - 980 where it says "GETargetID" you can change the font size by varying the "tall"  "14"   parameter. Basically 14 is the point size just like in Word.

I hate throwing a lot of configuration and programming crap at you to solve your problems, but you can imagine the difficulty we face to keep the mod looking the way it is. A lot goes into very small changes in the HUD and it is not a trivial matter to make everything work for everyone exactly how they like it.

Kavinsky

• Agent
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 05:50:18 am »

yeah I know im just glad you guys are actually making the mod better as time goes on rather than making it worse like the synergy co op team

keep up the good work and thanks for your help and straight forwardness

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 06:09:43 am »

No problem, thanks for the post you made.

I'm sure there will be things we havent even refined yet that will make these issues less of a issue for a segment of the community. Even the ones KM adressed for beta 4, will help newcomers to the mod immensely!

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 07:23:02 pm »

yeah I know im just glad you guys are actually making the mod better as time goes on rather than making it worse like the synergy co op team

QFT!
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 08:17:54 pm »

I don't remember offhand what the RADAR shows with teamplay on, but if teams don't show up as red and blue that would be something worth considering. It's easy not to realize when teamplay has changed. IIRC GE64 did show colored dots. Of course if the RADAR is already colored this post is ignorable.
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 09:06:18 pm »

I was going to do something smart and link you to the Wiki where it would detail the Radar..   but as it states "Radar - The radar is not yet planned for addition."  tehehehe  outta date :D

So I counter that with the old release info

Radar Further Explained:
Basically, the WHITE dots are your teammates [if enabled], and the GREEN dots are enemies. The way the teammates in this screen above are shown, are to alert you when people are above/below you in a vertical sense. So likely in this map, Control, the teammates were on the 2nd or 3rd tier of the main control room.

An addition we've added is our 'Anti-Camping' feature. When players remain still for a short period of time, the color will turn from GREEN to ORANGE then to RED on the fly, on the radar.  No more easy camping in GoldenEye: Source, while radar is enabled.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 12:42:18 am »

GRRRRR

no one reads my well laid out release documentation...

http://wiki.goldeneyesource.net/index.php/Beta_3_Release_Documentation#HUD_Elements

Gabbo

• Cate Archer's secret lover
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 07:04:38 am »

GRRRRR

no one reads my well laid out release documentation...

http://wiki.goldeneyesource.net/index.php/Beta_3_Release_Documentation#HUD_Elements

You should start making it mandatory before people are allowed to download new releases  ;)

bobo72a

• Agent
  • bobo72a has no influence.
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 03:26:49 pm »

You should start making it mandatory before people are allowed to download new releases  ;)

Have you ever read the whole "mandatory" EULA for anything? I sure haven't.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 07:33:42 pm »

EULA is in legalize and really says nothing about anything (except not to crack their product and shit on their profits). This is like the F1 Help manual of GES, everyone bypasses that and then complains about a feature that is well documented...

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 09:03:18 pm »

EULA =/= Instructions and release notes. The latter actually explain something that is actually useful and can save you from some hassle.

bobo72a

• Agent
  • bobo72a has no influence.
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 10:16:43 am »

EULA is in legalize and really says nothing about anything (except not to crack their product and shit on their profits). This is like the F1 Help manual of GES, everyone bypasses that and then complains about a feature that is well documented...

I'm not saying the instructions are an end user license agreement, I'm just saying that there's no good way of making people read something, and the EULA of many products is a good example.

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 03:33:48 pm »

If that's so ~
you could try to collect their souls via the EULA °;...;°

Maybe, if you want ppl to read something,.... you could show it during installation or have them take a test about it before they'll be able to play your game :D

jhawver

• Agent
  • jhawver has no influence.
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 03:52:36 pm »

First of all, I LOVE the mod, so I even hesitate to offer suggestions.  But I kind of feel it's my duty, or responsibility.  So just a few thoughts.

1.)  In the original, you could adjust the depth of the scope while zooming with the sniper rifle using C-up and C-down.  Currently, there is only one level of zoom.  Am I wrong?  Would it be possible to alter the keys so that while zooming, W and S equate to the distance of the zoom?

2.)  In the original, you could hide around the corner and then pop out momentarily, fire off a round or two, and then quickly return to your cover.  Again, something like this would probably need to involve the altering of keys, but could be in the same programming code as #1 above -- (if user hits A or D while using the aim, his body is quickly moved 2 feet to the left or right).

3.)  It seems that in the original, the majority of glass would break much easier, even with the weakest weapon.  In this mod, it often takes 5-6 shots to break glass, even with the Destoval which is one of the most powerful pistols.

SORRY!  I'm not complaining....  just trying to help.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:55:09 pm by jhawver »

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 05:35:00 pm »

I was never a fan of lean in FPS games...  I don't mind it in single player, but it has no place in multi.

jhawver

• Agent
  • jhawver has no influence.
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 07:07:11 pm »

... but it has no place in multi.

Yeah, I agree actually.  How do you feel about the snipe zoom adjustment?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 07:55:37 pm »

Snipe zoom is planned for Beta 4, and will most likely utilize the mouse wheel scroll. Unfortunately source is not too friendly with dynamic key reassignments so it'll take a little hacking.

As far as lean, that isn't going to be in Multiplayer, the pace of the game simply doesn't allow for that kind of sneaking around. It may have worked with only 4 players, but more than that and you will never use it.

Glass is fixed in Beta 4 with bullet penetration, but the majority of glass strength is defined by the mapper so they need to readjust their health.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up