GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:14:31 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Programming - Looking to be a part of something  (Read 21338 times)

jusifdg

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • jusifdg has no influence.
Re: Programming - Looking to be a part of something
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 05:34:41 pm »

Hey guys. So am I still under review or has this thread just turned into like a general chat now lol? Had fun playing with you last night LTK, thanks for all the questions you answered for everyone :)

Ryan

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 08:37:49 pm »

Just waiting on the final say from the Programmers, mainly Scott our lead programmer.
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 09:10:18 pm »

i told Scott about you, he will come in and review you. hes pretty slammed right now and is probably working on some sort of test for you to try out. just give him a bit of time we havnt forgotten about you.

in the mean time you might want to check out http://www.hl2coding.com/forums/index.php
i think thats the main coding site people use im not sure cause i don't do code though hahah.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 11:29:08 pm »

Had fun playing with you last night LTK

Likewise, its always good fun giving out privelidged info at will ;)

..im joking haha, i told them only stuff every devoted GE:S forum goer already does, plus im excited!

jusifdg

• Agent
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2006, 12:08:45 am »

:) Yeah, I assume lots of people are lazy and do not read the forums, or are just finding out about the game and havn't read them. Thanks for the info, I am a little nervous for this test now! haha. Thanks guys, talk to you later.

-Ryan

pimpinjuice

• Agent
  • pimpinjuice has no influence.
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2006, 06:35:49 am »

Hey there,

I am one of the programmers here. You look like you would be a good addition, but Scott will need to review you. Really, I think that any help we can get is great, contribution is nice, even if the code isn't perfect, others can improve on it. Wait for Scott to post, but I really appreciate the fact that you want to help.

-Anthony

jusifdg

• Agent
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2006, 07:51:00 am »

No problem at all man, it is a hell of a privilege. Being an actual programmer for the team, do you have anywhere you would like to point me to for information? I have been sort of bored and want to read up on somethings to improve my skills for you guys. I was lookin at getting this: http://www.gametutorials.com/gtstore/pc-35-6-gametutorials-squared-cd.aspx I can get 20% off for being a student so it isnt that bad of a deal. Would you recommend that, and anything else (books or webpages)? Thanks man.

-Ryan

pimpinjuice

• Agent
  • pimpinjuice has no influence.
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2006, 10:30:52 pm »

Hi again,

In order to work on a mod like this, you need to learn alot of things. One thing I recommend, is to learn how to comment code. You aren't the only one working on it, others may not want to analyze it to understand. Also, SVN experience doesn't hurt. Basically, you are in a team enviorment. Communication is key, so we need a few ways to contact you. Also, can you please post some examples? :P

-Anthony

nowhere

• 00 Agent
  • nowhere has no influence.
    • Janus Syndicate
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 10:45:31 pm »

There is a reason for signatures in forums. So you don't have to sign posts.

jusifdg

• Agent
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 11:00:01 pm »

Yes I agree comments are definately helpful, I will follow any format or thouroughness of commenting that you guys wish. As far as examples, I mentioned in my first post I have labs from school that I made if you would like those. (They are written in 'C#' using VS2003). I recently have been lookin at the differences in C++ from C#, I am sure I will figure them out soon enough, most of the code is the same. Additional ways of contacting me:
email: jusifdg@gmail.com
AIM: jusifdg

Talk to you later.
-Ryan

scott

• 00 Agent
  • scott has no influence.
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2006, 09:14:59 am »

We're a little busy with the release but will be getting back to you as time returns...  Just to let you know, I put every applicant through hell week (kidding...).  But I do come up with a unique 'test' per applicant.  Not rocket science, but it gives me a chance to see what you can really do.  All I can tell you is that it is generally source related and every test I put someone through is normally something they are already working on.  Using pimpin' as an example, he was working on a plug-in called 'goldenadmin' and I had him do some stuff within that since he was familiar with it.

I don't really want to see labs...  Labs tell me you can copy from a book and add the missing ';'.  :)

Desired skill-sets:
 - SVN is everything.  Simply put you must know this well.  (download and toy around with TortoiseSVN).  This goes beyond just knowing how to use it, but knowing how to work with it in a team environment.  In other words, don’t break us…
 - Know Steam and the Source Engine...  know how the engine works with mods, how things are loaded, etc…
 - Have a good enough grasp on programming.  'good enough grasp' means that you will be able to navigate the bible and modify pieces of it.  If you know the SDK, that might be enough to get on this team.  We don't have time or desire to 'teach' the basics.
 - Good debugging techniques.  The better you are at finding your own bugs before they become real bugs, the better life is for all of us.
 - Experience with other peoples code.  This means a few things...  For one, you’re jumping into a code base that isn't yours, and you're expected to work in it...  Also, at times I might framework out a piece of code that works with other pieces of code or is a critical part to the mod, and you might be expected to pick it up from there and finish it.
 - Text-messaging is outdated; programmers use VOIP.  Make sure you have a mic and can communicate with us on a regular basis.
 - Know when to ask and when to dig…  Major issues come up all the time… What would you do?
  a) ahh crap, something is broken or difficult… Ring Ring…
  b) Spend more time, possibly solve it.  At least have a good understanding of the code in question and get a better idea of what you need to be asking (if anything).
 It depends.  We are a team, and work together on a lot of things quite often.  But it slows down the pack if you can’t pull your own weight as well.  My point is, if you’re at a point where you’re self-sufficient, that is IDEAL!  We want you to ask, but I would much rather break you into a habit of sharing with us than ‘stop asking us’…  ?
 - Know a utility language...  Sometimes you might need/want to do something in a scripting language (Perl/Python/PHP/etc...), it is just good to have under your belt and find ways to use it.  Anything from a Toss-Away script, to better searching/replacing (and more...), to something we might find useful every day...
 - LUA Scripted game-plays will be in the upcoming release, so if you work with these and help us to improve them, it would be good.

I could go on, but I better get back to programming… You should hear from us in the next week.
IRC...
mute|gamb1t-]F[- yea i changed my drivers from ATI catalyst to omega drivers
mute|gamb1t-]F[- and i get rainbow color bullets holes
mute|gamb1t-]F[- like paintballs

jusifdg

• Agent
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2006, 10:19:47 am »

Thank you for the reply Scott. I am going to play with the SVN software in the morning...well later this morning ;). I have a good understanding of programming, and I have been looking at c++ code just about everyday. I also did a few of the tutorials on valve's developer page to get an idea of how the dll files are compiled, but I could definitely use some more assistance. It looks like they have it all set up pretty user friendly to where everything that we actually will code is just calling existing classes and functions - creating new classes and entities. I am sure I can pick it up really fast, if u can afford the time to show me a few things and let me play with it. As far as asking questions, that's the last thing I do. I love tackling a problem, and giving it all I got. I rarely fail at solving, but if I do its nice to know we have guys like you on the team. If you have anything you want me to look at as far as basics - intermediate stuff, before I hear from you in the next week let me know, I would be glad to spend time reading it. Thanks

PS Hey nowhere I made a new sig for these forums. I hope you like it :)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up