GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 07:23:46 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D artist  (Read 18477 times)

V

3D artist
« on: July 21, 2008, 05:26:12 pm »

Hello, I started studying 3D last year after being inspired by a videogame I played. I have decided to make this my career choice, however as a concept artist I am pretty underwhelming. I am interested in contributing to the project as a 3D artist. I have some good experience of efficient polygon and NURBS modeling, I am somewhat proficient in the concepts of unwrapping UVs, and I believe I could probably paint the UVs to a good standard in a 2D suite.
I am interested in character animation mostly but I think for the time being I should probably stick to creating simple assets should you requite it. In Maya I'm pretty much self taught, I took a small part time course in 3DS Max and learnt a lot about animation but I prefer to work in Maya. I have played around with Valve's Hammer and Poser tools but never done anything extensive besides making a simple map.

I'm very determined, I have high standards and I can identify errors in my own work and will endeavor to correct them.

Position applied for - general 3D artist
Experience - 1 complete year of 3D, mostly self taught.
Programs used - Maya primarily, 3DS Max as a backup, learning ZBrush for high res sculpting and poly painting however I would not consider myself suitable for any GE:S work with this app. Photoshop, learning GIMP.
Sample work -
Maya
http://i34.tinypic.com/2cwrma9.png (hover bike, w/placeholder shaders )
http://i34.tinypic.com/t6fc43.png (character model and UV unwrapping, placeholder texture of course)
http://i37.tinypic.com/108e9ur.png (render of that character)
http://i35.tinypic.com/25qg7k5.jpg (FK/IK rig created with a tutorial, the rig was 100% manual by myself)
Max
http://i35.tinypic.com/71sr4h.jpg (desert animation test)
http://i33.tinypic.com/33u4jzb.jpg (i wasn't happy with the above tests so i ended up creating a desert canyon) with a tutorial by Pete Draper who supplied the reference textures for the canyon.
ZBrush
http://i38.tinypic.com/2nqh9jl.jpg (poly painting on a pre-supplied mesh)

I have some more stuff, but I think that shows off a few of the skills and my standards. I am keen to learn, I'm taking a full time course this Fall in Maya and programming. I'd like to start off on the lowest things you have to offer and learn from the team. This is my life right now, I noticed in another thread one poster was asked to model and render a Pixar style lamp- if you'd give me the opportunity to do that for you I'd be willing to prove myself. (in fact even if you tell me to bugger off I'm still going to do it in my free time)

Email - spencerocksatgmaildotcom (MSN also)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: 3D artist
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 02:13:14 am »

Hello V,

Thank you for the application, it looks like you have the drive to learn (clearly from all the tutorials you went/suffered through). I like your paralellel line placement on the face of your character, however I notice that your UV unwrap is extremely basic. Never fear, that is what my UV maps looked like when I started learning too. I think you have potential in you and I would love to see you model the lamp.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/killermonkey01/21313.jpg

One point of advice. If you want to use NURBS or whatever other method, you MUST transfer it into polygon format for the export, otherwise you will end up with way too many tris in Source. Like I told the other applicant, you should aim between 300-400 tris on this model easy. Don't be afraid of hard edges/creases and definately don't focus on the detailing (springs, etc) as that will come out in the texture. Good luck and please post anymore refs you may have I am interested in seeing them.

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 02:16:30 am »

I like the bike
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?

V

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 08:32:25 pm »

Thank you Loafie. I've done a little more work on it today, I hope to finish it in the next day or two with shaders and a UV map. http://i38.tinypic.com/2w4haxi.png

Over budget at 606 triangles. I took a few liberties and beveled two edges, and added two screws. I figure in an office type environment most of the other geometry will be quite box like so having something a little over budget might be worthwhile. If that's not acceptable it's 514 triangles without the bevel and fixings.

http://i33.tinypic.com/fao753.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/2d8g7wo.jpg
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 08:41:23 pm by V »

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 11:48:34 pm »

Is it just me, or did you use a hexagon for the supposed-to-be-round base, yet spend over nine-thousand polygons on the little loop of electrical cord.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 12:37:13 am »

maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 12:56:35 am »

those extra polys in the cord would be ok, but since it is so small prop you can delete many edge loops without much problem. You can also make it 3 sided (if it isn't already) to save more. I like small details like that, but once again think of the size of the prop, because it will appear even smaller ingame (FOV is 90 and stuff). Take those saved triangles and put them into a rounder base.

Otherwise good job. Lets see how you can do the UV and texture afterwards.
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 02:04:48 am »

I would take 17 parallel loops out of the cord in the back. Add six more lines to your base (make it 12 sided) and extend the light bulb out so its not a tear drop, but delete the polys that you will never see in the back of the bulb. Keep the bevel in, it is actually really visible in Source with the lighting.

Overall, GREAT JOB. I really want to see your texture job on this one.

V

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 02:14:25 am »

The chord and bulb were taken out, combined they are an additional 200 triangles. I'll see what I can do with the cord and base before unwrapping.

update:
UVs http://i35.tinypic.com/jsc3ex.jpg
Need a little tweaking around some of the cavities but that's the bulk of the work done.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 04:52:14 pm by V »

V

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 08:28:46 pm »

A little disappointed with the painting, certainly an area where I need to read more. Especially the springs, does anyone have some tips for that? I unwrapped the UV as a cylinder with seams along the length of it.

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 09:39:09 pm »

You could probably use a photo of a spring to texture it.  It is such a small feature that it isn't too important.  I would paint some chips and scratches on the model to give it some detail.  You'll also need to make the light bowl thick and double sided, both so it looks more solid, and also because the game engine will only see one side of a face. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 09:56:01 pm »

You'll also need to make the light bowl thick and double sided, both so it looks more solid, and also because the game engine will only see one side of a face. 

Not if you use $nocull in the texture VMT. However I agree with the thickness argument.

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 06:24:50 am »

as a general rule of thumb, the larger the part, the more polygons it gets.

so on your props try to keep your polygons high in areas that are larger, and less in the tiny spots.

so for this guy like people mentioned with the cord... you might not even miss the cord if it was taken off of the model.

another thing it looks like your sort of modeling where the screws will be on the model. i would just use a texture for that no one is going to notice that they are there bumped out just ever so slightly.

i suspect also, that you have put a slight bevel onto the edges of the arms as well, which in video games small bevels like that are a big no no.  because those polys can help you get better large forms and detail parts that right now your model is missing.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 08:06:59 am »

spider get to gettin on the new 3dtotal sculpt comp. it's a good time

V

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 06:54:38 pm »

Added changes based on Jonathon and Konrad Beerbaum's suggestions. Suprisingly the feeling didn't take too much of a hit from the model's accents being taken away.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2uh7p74.jpg (new wireframe)
http://i35.tinypic.com/2mepwtk.jpg (render)

Honestly I don't think I'm up to snuff  with painting the textures, it's something I've put very little effort into learning. I wouldn't even know where to begin painting on signs of wear and tear. I thought simpler objects would be easier than large environments but it just looks and feels like a flat shaded child's toy.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 06:57:29 pm by V »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 10:44:21 pm »

Can we bump him to trial?

Sporkfire

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Sporkfire has no influence.
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 10:47:10 pm »

Like him too, he seems dedicated at his work. Everyone can pick up more skills along the way as long as they are dedicated.

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 03:12:29 am »

It is very important that modelers for this team know how to texture their own models. We don't have the resources/people to do this for other people. It is also important to know how to export and compile the model for ingame use. I was horrible at all of this a couple years back but now I am doing it all by myself because of these limitations we have. I'm actually quite happy now because I don't have to rely on others for most things.

I'll bump you to trial when I get home tonight, or on Saturday. We'll have you try out something a little more complex on the texturing side to see how strong your skills can be there. Btw, could you show your UV layout for this model?
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

V

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 07:23:19 pm »

Pre-bevel http://i37.tinypic.com/2m4u2id.jpg

I certainly understand you don't want a bunch of UV layouts dumped on your team when they have their own work while I bugger off. I really want to learn to go from reference to finished product because that's essentially what I'll be doing on my course this Fall. I might take a little bit longer but I definitely want to do the work myself.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 04:17:01 am »

This project has helped several of our team members develop their skills to the point that they went off to work for game companies such as EA or whatever. (Success is not guaranteed and is all about what you want to put in.)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up