GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:01:42 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: community maps fixed for v5.0  (Read 8598 times)

fleet84

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • fleet84 has no influence.
Re: community maps fixed for v5.0
« on: January 18, 2017, 06:11:22 pm »

most are just fixed versions of the community maps done in the simplest way i know, which is using the program "vide" "pak file lump editor" and taking all the assets of the previous versions of goldeneye source and attaching well everything into the bsp file itself. others are altered to fix minor things like missing assets that can never be found no matter which version and some fixes for the ventilation systems, but all the rest are just the original files themselves stored in the archive folder of bz2.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hpuxvuquh4a19jw/AAD9bEE5z6Z3K85WBYm4_vlXa?dl=0
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 06:15:53 pm by fleet84 »

Adrian

• Lead Artist
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 115
  • Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 08:37:38 pm »

Fleet, we appreciate you taking the time to put this together and help consolidate our community content and get it working with v5.0. However, getting a map up and running with the latest build of the game should ultimately be the responsibility of the map's author; I'm currently wrapping up a new revision of Chateau DuClare and will release it soon.

When updating a map, it's more than simply packing in the missing content. The author might want to update certain assets, tweak the layout, adjust playability, etc. A map is an author's vision; it becomes undermined when old revisions are brought back into circulation. If an author chooses to update and release their map, that is their business.

It's also worth noting there are soundscape files, music script files and loading screens all linked to the BSP. By adding the _fix suffix to the maps, these links are broken. I hate to lecture, but quality control must be exercised when re-releasing third-party maps; there are many steps involved and plenty of room for things to go awry.

Also, there are a handful of maps in that archive that didn't need fixing since they were released after v5.0 came out: ge_osiris_a2, ge_hokona_a1, quake_e1m7 and ut_codex_v2

Again, thank you for taking the time and effort to do all of this, but next time at least ask the authors before you go through with it.
Official releases: Depot, Archives Classic, Library Classic

Third-party releases: Deus Ex-inspired Chateau DuClare

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
Re: Re: community maps fixed for v5.0
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 09:41:27 pm »

I think he meant well, but I'd have to side with Adrian on this.
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 02:42:01 am »

Yeah, we understand where you're coming from but without the proper steps being taken this can cause problems for map authors who want to update these maps down the line, or want them to pass into the halls of history.

It's honestly our fault for not making this clear somewhere on this forum, since the pitfalls of this aren't super obvious.  I've made a post which will hopefully clear things up for people in the future, but obviously it's too late in this case.

I would recommend getting permission from as many of these map's authors as you can to update their maps and keeping the rest for your own personal use.  Don't worry if you can't get permission for all of them, some of these maps have had their day already and are ready to move on.
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

mabeenot

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • mabeenot has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 03:52:58 am »

I for one am very happy to see this. A lot of the community maps from earlier versions of GES are abandonware. I think the responsible thing to do is to always contact the original creator when possible. But so long as you appropriately label a map that you've "unofficially" made changes to, there's no crime committed in providing the community with a functional version of maps that were released under the same free license as GES itself.

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 04:14:56 am »

For one, I can't recall a single map that included a copy of the GNU General Public License, version 3 or later. :)

For another, the code used in GE:S is free software; the artistic assets used in the game are not.

Unless someone explicitly stated that you can use their map for whatever purpose... the least you could do is contact them before using their work.

fleet84

• Agent
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 05:34:02 am »

i understand and respect all current comments regarding my post. i for one see the utmost quality that you devs have put in and want to see the same from community as far as quality. i thank you all for the appreciation and will remove my post at developer request. again we are all fans here and i want to see the most enjoyable experience for all

fleet84

• Agent
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 05:59:17 am »

on reconsideration the link is now dead

Multiplayer_X_

• Agent
  • Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 03:24:28 am »

most are just fixed versions of the community maps done in the simplest way i know, which is using the program "vide" "pak file lump editor" and taking all the assets of the previous versions of goldeneye source and attaching well everything into the bsp file itself. others are altered to fix minor things like missing assets that can never be found no matter which version and some fixes for the ventilation systems, but all the rest are just the original files themselves stored in the archive folder of bz2.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hpuxvuquh4a19jw/AAD9bEE5z6Z3K85WBYm4_vlXa?dl=0

YEAH....Fleet be careful passing this around for anyone to use it. If you don't know what you're doing you can OVERWRITE shader files and GUI files that gesource needs to run correctly   I admire your dedication but honestly the best way to fix any map with missing assets is to pack that map INDIVIDUALLY   Adding folders to 5.0 might glitch out newer things in the mod that have been scripted to function differently    Just suggesting brother!   ;)    MultiplayerX

fleet84

• Agent
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 06:53:22 am »

i think i need to read everything http://www.tophattwaffle.com/tutorials/ has to teach me before i get too ahead of my self. so it will be a while before attempt to submit anything again

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 08:19:57 am »

It's awesome you're looking into making your own stuff!

If you ever find yourself stuck feel free to shoot us a few questions.
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

Torn

• Level Designer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 169
  • Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 02:23:28 pm »

i think i need to read everything http://www.tophattwaffle.com/tutorials/ has to teach me before i get too ahead of my self. so it will be a while before attempt to submit anything again

TopHattWaffle's tutorials are excellent. I used them when I began learning SDK, and his V2 video series is a really comprehensive guide for almost everything you'll need. Can't recommend it enough.
Official Releases: Dam / Egyptian
Community Releases: Quake - E1M7 / Blockfort

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 03:40:06 pm »

TopHattWaffle's tutorials are excellent. I used them when I began learning SDK, and his V2 video series is a really comprehensive guide for almost everything you'll need. Can't recommend it enough.

I second that, these are some of the finest, most detailed tutorials you can find. You've really picked a good resource to start.
Pages: [1]   Go Up