GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 19, 2024, 06:39:30 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is local, split-screen multiplayer possible?  (Read 14190 times)

Ragaboo

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Ragaboo has no influence.
Is local, split-screen multiplayer possible?
« on: August 14, 2016, 09:03:52 pm »

I just installed and loaded GE:S up. All I could find was ways to connect to servers, but I don't want to play online, all I really want is to hold a GoldenEye night like the good ol' days, where I invite friends over and we play four-player split-screen. (I have a computer hooked up to a projector that can use wireless XBox controllers. I use this computer for local multiplayer all the time.)

Is that not possible (yet) in GE:S? Or am I missing something obvious?

Sorry if this was already answered somewhere. I searched and couldn't find it.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
Re: Is local, split-screen multiplayer possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 09:23:43 pm »

Sadly it is not.  This would some epic fun.

You would need 4 of everything..  4 Projectors or TVs..  4 computers.

If you do get it setup SEND PICS/Video.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 10:03:13 pm »

I know there's a LG 21:9 monitor that is able to display two HDMI signals in splitscreen, so two PCs via LAN on one Monitor would be possible.

I haven't heared of anything that could provide a 4 signals to one screen/projektor, though.

A multi remote desktop setup might work for bringing multiple signal sources to one screen output, but it's usually used for administrative tasks not gaming.
Possibly could create some noticable screen refresh and input lags.

Still the best option if you can set up a small network of 4-5 PCs.
I'd use one PC for dedicated server hosting and running the remote desktop and the 4 client PCs connected to it.

If anyone has additional ideas or even a working setup, please share them.

zorky

• Agent
  • zorky has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 10:00:28 pm »

This is not true though since you can play l4d1-2 on splitscreen on a normal PC, I trully hope that this will work with goldeneye aswell since thats what this game badly needs.

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 10:29:06 pm »

Those use a different version of the engine. And as a mod, there are limits to what we can do.

zorky

• Agent
  • zorky has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 02:33:39 am »

Okey that was sad thats the only thing i missing atm so you could play home with your friends as goldeneye should be played ^^

illwieckz

• Agent
  • illwieckz is looked down upon.
    • gg.illwieckz.net
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 11:10:22 pm »

I guess on Linux you can get with one computer, 4 wine prefixes, so 4 fake Windows setup for 4 GE:S installation, then 4 windowed noborder games running on same screen (setting arbitrary sizes to half the height and width and manually placing them, or use a tiled window manager). There is an input issue (1 keyboard and 1 mouse shared for all the instances running) but if you use joysticks it's probably not a problem, using one for each instances. Then you have the network issue, you probably have to setup a virtual network bridge and 4 virtual network interfaces, then run each instance with a different ip address. In fact it means you don't need a physical network at all, that is good. Then, there is a question: is steam allows to run multiple instances of the same game? You can run steam 4 times on the same computer due to the 4 wine prefixes (it's just lke 4 computers running one windows each), but if I remember right, Steam prevents you to run a game you are already playing on another computer (or will disconnect the game on the other computer). So perhaps you need 4 steam accounts.

So, if you have a computer with an AMD GPU (because of that), Linux skills, wine skills, knowing how to install unreleased drivers, unreleased wine, unreleased gallium-nine, chroot skills, X11 skills, virtual networking and bridging skills, hl2 switch knowledge, 4 joysticks (and perhaps 4 steam accounts), yes, probably you can do a GE:S 4 player splitscreen with one computer and one display. But it's not easy.  :-\

Btw, I haven't tried joysticks on GE:S/Wine/Linux.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 11:29:52 pm by illwieckz »

kraid

• Game Artist
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 11:24:03 am »

1. Possible, just need the right monitor and 4 computers: http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=210-AHSQ&dgc=SM&cid=11284&lid=472042138

2. alternatively: http://www.networktechinc.com/quad-splitter.html

or

3. you could have them bring their monitors with them too, since they allready have to bring their PCs anyway.

Not sure if illwieckz idea would work performance wise, since one computer would not only need to run linux and 4 instances of wine, but also 4 instances of the game.
I guess emulating even one instance of windows+game through wine is more demanding then running windows native and play the game there.

In any case the LAN setup will be far superior, no matter if you hook up the 4 computers to one screen with possibility 1/2 or use possibility 3 and place the screens next to each other.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 12:47:16 am »

I guess emulating even one instance of windows+game through wine is more demanding then running windows native and play the game there.

Wine Is Not an Emulator

kraid

• Game Artist
    • my Homepage
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 11:54:50 am »

Nah, it's fermented grape juice. XP

TBH, i'm not exactly sure what it is, but i don't think that running a programm through wine will give you the exact same performance as if you run it native on windows.

dieglhix

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • dieglhix has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 04:12:09 pm »

I don't know if possible in SDK 2007 but portal lets you do this and L4D, which are Source engine games, so it would be possible for goldeneye if was updated to newer SDK, and you can play with gamepads.
Pages: [1]   Go Up