GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 09:12:39 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls: Arena  (Read 3954 times)

Bashe

• Uppercut, oh yeah
  • Retired Developer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 73
  • Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!
    • GoldenEye: Source Homepage
The Elder Scrolls: Arena
« on: November 30, 2010, 11:58:22 am »

The Elder Scrolls is definitely a well-known series, but it wouldn't seem like a lot have played the first game in the series, titled Arena.

While being a good game (albeit different to its successors), it also has its problems. It's generally unforgiving towards newbies and gets frustratingly difficult towards the middle of the game without the right items, as spellcasting enemies spam like crazy and do obscene damage, even at high levels. I just finished the game fully for the first time a few days ago, and before that had another save file from years ago that I ended up giving up on due to the cheapness and repetitiveness of trying to get through a main quest dungeon full of dickhead enemies.

Regardless, it was mostly an enjoyable game. Has anyone else given this game a shot? It's not nearly as known as the later Elder Scrolls games, but is worth a try for fans of the series at any rate. It can be freely downloaded from Bethesda's website, along with the sequel, Daggerfall.

Here's a video of how NOT to play Arena...unless you're just having some fun.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
Re: The Elder Scrolls: Arena
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 06:04:05 am »

This is probably the only one I haven't played, Along with Battlespire and Redguard.
I played Daggerfall once, But I did not really understand all the controls, I had to get used to the game to completly understand it, But I didn't feel like it. I'm sure its a great game but I just didn't get around it very much.

The one I liked the most was Morrowind. Oblivion sucked. There wasn't even a challenge in TES4. Just an arrow which guided you throughout the entire game.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: The Elder Scrolls: Arena
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 03:14:51 pm »

Don't hate on the arrow.  When the instruction says "North" when it should say "North by North East" and I waste two hours getting lost and eaten by cliff ragers, fuck your immersion, I want an arrow.  If anything, it should be a marker in the 3D world and not on the map or compass.  When you get near enough, it should appear so you know that it's on the other side of this rock so I don't just keep going, trying to figure out exactly which North it meant, or how far the non-specific instruction meant for me to go.  If I'm being directed, direct me.  If I'm being challenged to find something, give me clues, not directions that simply suck.

Oblivion's disappointment was that it didn't fix the right things.  You still have to game the leveling system on pain of being gimped, Alchemy is still broken and cumbersome, Argonians and Khajiit should have their own line of footwear, and I don't have to begin on how the leveled enemies shit and console consessions failed to work.  Despite the many improvements, they're hard to see through all the unfixed and introduced fails.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 03:17:09 pm by Viashino Cutthroat »
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."
Pages: [1]   Go Up