GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:07:14 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: rj_tower  (Read 11447 times)

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
rj_tower
« on: January 14, 2011, 07:16:12 pm »

Not too long ago I discovered a costly but interesting exploit in GE:S, one common in other games that holds the name "rocket jumping".  While it can be preformed with nearly every explosive weapon, the rocket launcher and remote mines are by far the most effective in terms of survivability and distance traveled (A good rocket jump can send you very high and cost you about a full gauge of health, while a bad one will take away anywhere from 4-16 bars and not transport you anywhere at all).  Thus, I figured an element with such context specific use and costly application deserved its own map, to allow it to be perfected and used to no end!

Oh, and it's very hard.

Download:

Mirror 1
Mirror 2
Mirror 3(Quick Download)

How to play:

Extract the contents of the zip file and copy the folder inside named "gesource" over the one in your sourcemods directory.  This should install every file you need, so go into the game and start a server running the "rj_tower" map.  Then, go into the console (enabled in advanced keyboard options and accessed with the ` key) and input the command "ge_gameplay rockets".  You should then have unlimited rocket ammo and immunity to everything but fall damage.  An extensive guide on the tricks needed for the map is also included via the gamemode's popup help, so be sure to enable popup help for your first playthrough!

Credits:

Mangley, for his contribution of the wall, floor, ceiling, and red arrow trim textures, not to mention his invaluable insight and assistance in testing the map.

The talented music artists at Zelda Reorchestrated, for the tunes heard throughout the map.

And special thanks to all those people who suffered through this with the vain hopes of seeing its end without cheating.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 10:30:26 am by major »
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
Re: rj_tower
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 07:34:54 pm »

Hah now that looks like a challenge. I shall try this soon!

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 106
  • WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!
    • Euphonic.dev
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 07:58:57 pm »

Oh, the insanity.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 08:40:22 pm »

I really like the added fire, lol

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 03:00:07 am »

I really like the added fire, lol

Reminds me of the fire barriers in Ocarina of Time
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 03:39:38 am »

Oh, and it's very hard.
Thats the way I like it.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 07:43:01 am »

Oh, and it's very hard.
Understatement of the month.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

arturok1992

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • arturok1992 has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 04:57:30 pm »

ill try it :D.

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 04:31:50 pm »

If someone completes the level with no deviation from the standard settings and records it, I'll stick their name in the first post along with their video.

Not that anyone ever will, of course.

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 06:00:41 pm »

Show us how its done E-S :P

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 06:20:32 pm »

Here you go

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 10:15:16 pm »

ROFL thats just epic

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 10:30:06 pm »

And you fired the first rocket 9 seconds in :P

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

Falko

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Falko barely matters.Falko barely matters.
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 12:32:15 pm »

:angel: I made it without dying.

Anyway, excellent work E-S!

It's not really worth seeing but I tried to built up one too:

Sorry for the video quality.

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 04:32:53 pm »

Now do it on 700 (default gravity)

In all seriousness, though, the main reason i recommend playing this map on 400-500 gravity when running it on a server is because of how hard it is when playing with a higher latency (even 30-40 makes a big difference for the harder jumps).  Looking at your video, i think you would have a chance of completing the map on it's intended gravity level, though I'm quite interested to see how your jumping style affects this.

In regards to your map; I think it actually has some potential, though the rocket jumping parts are a bit too much like jumping maps from TF2.  If you could keep the style found in the beginning consistent throughout the map, it would defiantly improve the experience and re-playability. That's not to say you need to make everything super detailed, but try and make it seem like a real location and not "oh here's a bunch of squares, jump to the end"; This gives us something to look at along with a feeling of purpose/immersion.  Of course, doing this takes a significant amount of effort due to the planning and elaborate setup it takes to disguise some jumps, but it's easily worth it if you're willing to invest the time.

Anyway, if you're designing your map with low gravity in mind, it would defiantly be worth the effort to stick a "trigger_gravity" in the spawn area of the map to reduce the gravity by a percentage for players joining automatically (0.57 is equivalent to about 400 gravity); this would allow the map to run on its intended gravity with the default settings.

Falko

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Falko barely matters.Falko barely matters.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 07:59:06 pm »

I tried and did on 700.
I managed to do the most part quite "easily" (I would say) but got stuck for a big while on the fire platforms and then the U-turn.
I'll try a little bit more tomorrow and see if I can do better.
You have probably noticed on the video, I crouched before jumping quite oftenly.
That worked very very well for long distances (even on default gravity) but not at all when it came to reach a tall surface.

As for the map, I still have a lot to learn. All I did for the moment was creating blocks, moving blocks, cutting blocks, putting lots of fires^^ (that sometime drop for no reason), some random lights, placing textures (best part), "painting geometry" (awesome tool and so easy), working on the global dimensions (again and again - well, not for this map actually) etc.
This map was just some kind of arena, one big room with some junctions... a test map where I can shape things I have in mind.
If you say that it looks like some random TF2 map, thanks! xD Because for me it looks like nothing ;D
I just made a hole in my arena's roof this morning then add some blocks. é_è
But you're right, I get your point.
Even though, if I had to choose, I'd rather play a visually crappy game with some awesome gameplay than the opposite.

I'll take a look at your advice, thanks.
Actually, that won't really help me since I need thousand of advices ;-)
Sorry to monopolize your thread :P

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 08:24:57 pm »

you have ruined my thread!

nah, in all seriousness, i think the real difficulty in tower lies in the fourth part.  In development i actually had to make the fire platforms and u-turn jump easier because i couldn't complete them reliably myself (like 1 in 10 tries for each individual jump).  Of course, every time i try a complete 0 death run i can get past those parts just fine...and then panic on the last jump in the map and screw up horribly.

Regardless, i too prioritize gameplay over aesthetics, and to that end i usually draft the layout of a map before i start adding detail and lighting.  However, it's important to keep in mind how you want your map to look while making the draft; otherwise you'll end up with a level structure that is very difficult to work with and restricts your freedom.  But if it comes down to a choice between the two, i would definitely choose gameplay.

Anyway, if you need any help/advice/etc feel free to pm me/add me on steam.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:27:15 pm by Entropy-Soldier »
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up