GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 03:16:36 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: beta 1.5? wtf leak? or fake( my first post)  (Read 14887 times)

Semedi

• Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Semedi has no influence.
    • GNardone.com
Re: beta 1.5? wtf leak? or fake( my first post)
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 11:35:48 am »

Boris says there aren't any viruses in it, but it doesn't change the fact that it'd be stupid to download it.

Certainly a trustworthy individual  ::)
Sims 3 Producer - Follow me on Twitter @SimGuruGraham

trezza

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • trezza has no influence.
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 05:54:16 pm »

did these guys expect to get praised for that pff l.o.s.e.r.s
when i was young i used to think there was a character named oddjaw, a combination between jaws and oddjob

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2007, 06:16:27 pm »

We were afaid it will come to this. Well you can thank boris because for the last 4 weeks we have been sorting this shit out instead of working on the mod and now its even more delayed. The version he got (oh btw he didnt hack nothing, he used a keylogger to gain access to a beta testers email account, so i would trust any thing from him at all). was a build wich had alot of prototypes in it or stuff we are planing to add. It hasnt been updated in a while and you will find many major bugs in it (i think it has the suicide crash bug in complex) and almost all things are not finished. We havnt even imported any of the new models with have shown you in updates.

Bottom line is we dont care if you download it (be warned it may have nasty things in it) but if you want to play golden eye source that is bug free. Wait to beta 2.

Also the funny thing is he only got access to the mod content files so how is boris going to make it open source with out source code?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 06:18:44 pm by Mark [lodle] »

X23

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • X23 has no influence.
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2007, 06:22:59 pm »

They hack it because they want an early sneak peek. Consider it that their fans of the mod. I don't know, but if people wanted to pirate a mod I was on I'd be proud. I like the attitude Garry takes about leaks, he just doesn't care. leaks don't really effect the core version anyway. Some people can't really code for source, so it's silly to say they should learn just to play an early version of a mod they like. People just want to test the mod, and try it out. Is that really that bad or immature? The in development version is probably unstable, so that means only the biggest fans would like to try it. I would not care for a glitchy beta with no people playing.

Certainly a trustworthy individual  ::)

he really isn't that bad. He's the type of person people jump on the bandwagon to hate.

Boris says there aren't any viruses in it, but it doesn't change the fact that it'd be stupid to download it.

If there weren't viruses in it, what is stupid about it. Dicking around in an unfinished version of the mod will not really harm or hurt anyone. Sometimes, betas with different content, but really finished can be interesting. Think of the Goldeneye Beta, the Ocarina of time Beta, the Half Life and Half life 2 beta. it's interesting to see what the developers did or didn't do, and it provides insight into the development process.

Look, learning to code or map is hard. People just want to give themselves patience. The ultra hype building for Ges beta 1 did not help it. I've been hyped on games only to be dissapointed.

Also, the to be cool thing that some leakers do, is because mods can build up a sort of hierarchy, where the "in" crowd gets to test stuff, and be super cool with the devs. It is simply a backlash.

We were afaid it will come to this. Well you can thank boris because for the last 4 weeks we have been sorting this shit out instead of working on the mod and now its even more delayed. The version he got (oh btw he didnt hack nothing, he used a keylogger to gain access to a beta testers email account, so i would trust any thing from him at all). was a build wich had alot of prototypes in it or stuff we are planing to add. It hasnt been updated in a while and you will find many major bugs in it (i think it has the suicide crash bug in complex) and almost all things are not finished. We havnt even imported any of the new models with have shown you in updates.

Why would you sort out a leak instead of work on the mod? Get someone else to do it. Oh wait no we have to play the blame game, and create a figure so everyone can direct their hate to the delay. I am friends with him (Uh oh I'm biased lol), and he is not that bad. He wouldn't try to break someones computer.

You hate, and want people to hate something over a bunch of copied data! It's so silly, why can't we just get along. You're the supposed mature side, aren't you the people that are supposed to reconcile? Instead of perma banning him (Over a bunch of copyable data that doesn't really effect the core mod)?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 06:26:46 pm by X23 »

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 06:57:03 pm »

i lol'd so hard at that i almost fell of my chair. Boris has been trying to do this ever since he wasnt allowed (rejected is a better word) from being a beta tester. He has been a pain to devs ever since and your lucky i dont ban you on the spot for just being friends with him (yes he is that anoying). There is no exscues for his behavour except that he is a serial pest. Just look at other forums hes on and you will find out why.

There is no reason ever to hack a mod. WE the dev team put our free time in to this so you can play. If people are going to try and steal it why should we bother?

Why would you sort out a leak instead of work on the mod?
If some one stole your bank password would you not worry about it?

You hate, and want people to hate something over a bunch of copied data!
Why would we want this? We hate boris cause he is anoying and he has all ways been an ass to devs full stop.

Instead of perma banning him
LOL he was permed banned well before this (has been for a year or so now). If he grows up we might unban him but i dont see that happining.

If there weren't viruses in it, what is stupid about it.
Lol and you must know boris so well ....

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2007, 07:23:31 pm »

The reason stuff like this is detrimental is because it takes the focus away from development.  While we do this for fun in our free time, we take it very seriously, we have to if we want it to be professional quality.

The fact is that security is a necessary precaution that we have to take due to the actions of certain indivuals who lack maturity.  You say that stealing an unreleased beta is no big deal? It is, and here's why.  How did they get that beta? By tricking people into installing viruses, and then accessing secure file servers.  What if they got pissed off and deleted a bunch of files as well? What if that person had credit card information stolen due to the keylogger, or had their machine crash because of it.  Yea, those are worst case scenarios, but we would be negligent if we didn't try to protect against them.  And if someone has no qualms about giving people viruses and accessing secure servers, whos to say they won't do that stuff. It is naive to say they never would. 

So our coders have to waste time coding in safeguards and setting up file security, and the hassle that all of us have to go through to follow security protocals that slows down the interaction with the team. And when we only have 1 active coder, thats time that could be spent trying to fix bugs.  We have to waste time trying to figure out how they did it, and we have to worry about the beta testers integrity, which is an atmosphere we just don't want.   

So yea, it is a pain in the ass.
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2007, 07:41:32 pm »

Why would you sort out a leak instead of work on the mod?
mainly because we don't want people to get a bad impression of all our hard work, the big thing people don't understand is that games are broken and shitty during their development process all the way till the last 95% of development. leaks like this that get posted and talked about to this degree can generate a lot of bad word of mouth about the project, with out reasonable explanation as to why something is broken.
saying that yea the biggest fans are the only ones who would bother is true, but those same rabid fans will be the first to bitch about broken content and complain how nothing works... which is retarded cause its not supposed to be at the working level yet.

other big thing is that Boris isn't just an issue to the security of the mod (which is minor) but is a bigger security issue to our personal information, and the stability of their computers and data. which is more the reason why developers are concerned with him. saying "Boris isn't such a bad kid"  doesn't really matter to me mainly because hes been doing this sort of bad behavior for OVER A YEAR. and hes a person with to much time on their hands, and not a tight enough grip on the real world, so i would rather just not ignore the problem all together and let him do as he pleases. so yea protecting the safety of my teammates computers and information comes BEFORE development on the mod. cause if their systems go to shit... they cant build the game.

and the final big issue... shit like this totally kills the teams moral. we do this because we love it, and we hope that one day we will have a fun game to play with each other, and the community. when people do things like this its really a big downer, its hard to believe that people would rather spend their time causing problems for a team who is making something for them to play FOR FREE, with out asking for anything in return for literally thousands of man hours of time spent working in their spare time. its just really bothersome. Boris could have spent all this time being more productive, and focusing on learning to code, that way his time could be used for something useful rather than an unfinished mod bing released to a handful of people.

one thing you guys might not know, is Boris isn't just a problem for our mod... theres a LOT of mods that are dealing with him, and he is slowing down the development of. so don't bother applauding or making excuses for what he is doing, cause its just a waste of time for everyone when it comes down to it.

Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2007, 07:43:27 pm »

I missed the part where this justifies us getting harrassed. We're supposed to reconcile when we've been sent key loggers and had email accounts spoofed? And key loggers don't only compromise mod security, but our own financial and personal information as well. I know Boris can be funny and not that bad the few times I've been in game with him, but we don't get paid to deal with this crap. If there is supposed to be any sort of reconciliation, Boris should be the one to make the first move.

and the final big issue... shit like this totally kills the teams morale. we do this because we love it, and we hope that one day we will have a fun game to play with each other, and the community. when people do things like this its really a big downer, its hard to believe that people would rather spend their time causing problems for a team who is making something for them to play FOR FREE, with out asking for anything in return for literally thousands of man hours of time spent working in their spare time. its just really bothersome. Boris could have spent all this time being more productive, and focusing on learning to code, that way his time could be used for something useful rather than an unfinished mod bing released to a handful of people.

QFFT.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 07:45:51 pm by Loafie, Hero of Dreams »
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?

olileauk

• Last vestige of [L[T]K]
  • 00 Agent
  • olileauk has no influence.
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2007, 08:40:17 pm »

LOL he was permed banned well before this (has been for a year or so now).

a year? really? a year ago there were the old school forums before these, and boris was not banned - i've been here longer than you if your join date of 1/1/07 is to be believed. more like 6 months at the most, i don't think he was banned before the beta release.
Been here since Alpha 1.1... Those were the days.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2007, 12:53:33 am »

First of all, X23 please never back up or condone what boris has done over the past. You clearly have no clue how or how not damaging we believe and know him to be. I dont care if you know him personally as that stance is irrelevant, you dont know his behaviour as to relating to us and the materials the team makes.

Secondly, we have met security risks with harsh punishments, and untactful response which will continue (totally our right since we work for free -- something you didnt argue well having stated 3 products where people were getting paid money to make games so having leak situations isnt demoralizing really)

Thirdly, boris has been banned since january 07, so 7 months and that wont change -- it occured when we learned he had been using/abusing insider ties or gateways to our private SVN for who knows when (possibly since testers were even setup) and accessing our private boards to be a general harassing wannabe day in day out.

Fourthly, the point where kids stop trying to interupt us with their petty little feelings that got hurt by a free mod team -- is the point where we can focus 100% and not worry about security issues half the time (the factors can never can be drawn to our maturity, as an issue of fault like you suggested)

A lot of things have happened in this mod that set it well aside from other mods, taking into account that we've had about 100 developers in our time, a mod leader die tradgically, several unstoppable crashes, a couple neglegance -- and bugs in our code and assets not caused by us (which wasted literally months trying to fix) has ruined our flow many times -- i reckon you can all sit back and just think..

...With all things considered, the best job is being done - and DISCOURAGE idiocy among your peers, rather than gang up on GE:S DEVS with your (in most cases) very young and uninformed perspectives  ::)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up