GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 25, 2024, 04:26:41 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic Shotgun range?  (Read 5080 times)

Artisan

Automatic Shotgun range?
« on: December 24, 2008, 09:36:01 am »

Just curious, is the automatic shotgun supposed to have such an insane range. It does damage at a fifty yards away that it would/should only do within 10-15 feet. Just feels a little odd, and it's been so long since I've played the original Goldeneye that I forgot if it was the same on the 64.

Anyway, maybe have it do less damage the farther away the target is? What do you all think?

And don't get me wrong, if it's gonna be left as is, I'm cool with that too. I love 1 shot kill FPS games =) We always played with that setting on the 64.

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • PeskySaurus is looked down upon.
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
Re: Automatic Shotgun range?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 11:30:56 am »

Uhm, in real life my shotgun's pattern is relatively tight FAR beyond 15 feet..... but then again my choke is set that way specifically. And with a rifled deer-slayer barrel, the single slug shells are deadly up to like 1500 feet, although I'm sure accuracy faulters quite a bit before that.

All I know is, they are probably going on the game, which I have no memory of either. I've been playing back through Doom 3, and as much as I enjoy it, that damn shotgun should NOT spread like that. You would have to do something crazy to your choke to make a pattern like that in such short distance. It annoys the hell out of me cause I try to use it like in classic doom (basically to kill everything but the cyberdemon and spider mastermind) and fail because only one slug hits something if I'm more then an inch away. lol
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 11:46:52 am by PeskySaurus »
"I got something deep inside of me, courage is the thing that KEEPS US FREE!" - If you don't know the source of this line, don't even bother talking to me you communist.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 05:43:35 pm »

All I know is, they are probably going on the game, which I have no memory of either. I've been playing back through Doom 3, and as much as I enjoy it, that damn shotgun should NOT spread like that. You would have to do something crazy to your choke to make a pattern like that in such short distance. It annoys the hell out of me cause I try to use it like in classic doom (basically to kill everything but the cyberdemon and spider mastermind) and fail because only one slug hits something if I'm more then an inch away. lol

Yeah, the shotgun in D00M 3 is terrible...
Fortunately, there is a kickass MOD that improves all sorts of things in the game. It does not change anything drastically. It alters some of the weapon skins, almost all of the weapon sound effects, and makes the shotgun not suck. :D
Google search Narcozas Doom 3 MOD or something to that effect.

As for the original DooM, I really don't see what's wrong with the shotgun. The shotgun by far is the most useful weapon besides the plasma rifle. You don't have to be ridiculously close to deal decent damage. Besides, it's not that hard to get in really close once you learn how to dodge attacks. ;)

Anyways, for GE:S, the shotguns in GE007 have the same range; projectiles fly until they hit something. (Unless you shoot strait up into the air, in which they just disappear.)
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 08:17:16 pm »

Shotguns work like firing five Klobb bullets at once.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 08:23:19 pm »

But with a lot more damage and better accuracy. ::)
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
  • PeskySaurus is looked down upon.
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 08:33:51 pm »

@ Rodney, I said the classic doom shotgun was great, or at least implied it. will have to check out that doom 3 mod though

Note to everyone: If you can't kill barons of hell with a shotgun non-chalantly, do NOT try beating absolution (64 TC) or final doom on ultra violence. lol
"I got something deep inside of me, courage is the thing that KEEPS US FREE!" - If you don't know the source of this line, don't even bother talking to me you communist.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
    • Steam profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 08:47:31 pm »

@ Rodney, I said the classic doom shotgun was great, or at least implied it. will have to check out that doom 3 mod though

Ah. Misread.

Note to everyone: If you can't kill barons of hell with a shotgun non-chalantly, do NOT try beating absolution (64 TC) or final doom on ultra violence. lol

o.o
You've played DooM 64 TC? You win, my friend. You win.

But this is off topic.

(Hah, Winamp just started playing the song from the level "Watch your Step". :)
It's as if it knows...)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 08:49:07 pm by Rodney 1.666 »

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 08:52:49 pm »

"But with a lot more damage and better accuracy. Roll Eyes"

Not anymore.  Goldeneye spec has shotguns slightly less accurate than Klobb; damage is equal to Klobb for AShot, less than Klobb on Rocksalt.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Artisan

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 07:04:40 am »

All I know is that on "Cradle" I can snipe 100x better with a shotgun. I may not know what the realistic range is, but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be able to 1-shot somebody on that map that is 400 yards away. =)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 08:50:08 am »

You definitely can't do that in Beta 3, weapons behave properly now (finally)

Bissrok

• Agent
  • Bissrok has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 04:43:52 pm »

Uhm, in real life my shotgun's pattern is relatively tight FAR beyond 15 feet..... but then again my choke is set that way specifically. And with a rifled deer-slayer barrel, the single slug shells are deadly up to like 1500 feet, although I'm sure accuracy faulters quite a bit before that.

Maybe with slugs, but with shot you're not going to get that kind of distance. It's still going to be effective up to about 150 feet, which is a lot farther than most games give you. But, yeah, realistically there'd be a lot more choke on that gun. You'd have to aim a bit more, but it'd do a lot more damage when you're further back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up