GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:46:04 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LAN game settings  (Read 6524 times)

SICKSIX6

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • SICKSIX6 has no influence.
LAN game settings
« on: August 22, 2016, 12:50:37 pm »

IS it possible to host a private LAN game? If so, is it different from hosting a public server online? How do I go about this?

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
Re: LAN game settings
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 02:08:25 pm »

Of course this is possible and should be even easier then doing the same for an online server, since you do not need to open Ports on your router.

Either you create a listenserver through the ingame option "create server" or you set up a dedicated server.

The difference is that the first one will remain active as long as the one who created it doesn't quit the server and/or the game, while the second one is an independent process and could also be hosted on another PC which is not used for gaming.

Death

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Death has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 02:10:10 pm »

follow Valve's guide on setting up a server.

and enable the setting sv_lan 1 and it will not broadcast to the global server list.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

install steam cmd for windows (no linux server currently)

download the server files

https://www.geshl2.com/downloads/

install server with steam cmd install app 218
copy the zip to the /steamcmd/steamapps/common/source base 2007/ folder should end in 2007/gesource

edit the server.cfg file in /gesource/cfg/ folder (make sure to find sv_lan and set it to 1)

create a shortcut to srcds.exe start server with:

Code: [Select]
srcds.exe -game gesource -console -maxplayers 16 +sv_lan 1 +map ge_archives +exec server.cfg

SICKSIX6

• Agent
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 12:38:17 pm »

I already have Goldeneye Source 5.0 installed, and I have Steam as well as the Source SDK Base 2007. There is a box I can check when creating a server that says it enables LAN. Is that all I need to do?

Death

• Agent
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 02:11:56 pm »

yes that will work, but keep in mind if you are having friends join your game the performance for them will be horrible.

playing and hosting the same time within the game causes some major lag for clients.

if you just want to play around and play by yourself or with one buddy it wont be a issue.

but you will get a huge fps loss.

SICKSIX6

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 10:06:11 pm »

It would just be myself and 2 other friends, I have a 150Mb download connection here at my house. Do you still think that would cause lag for my friends? Should I try and host it from a separate laptop?

Death

• Agent
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 10:24:56 pm »

It would just be myself and 2 other friends, I have a 150Mb download connection here at my house. Do you still think that would cause lag for my friends? Should I try and host it from a separate laptop?

the lag i speak of will be in the form of FPS lag for you as a player running the server at the same time.

for your friends as long as you are not downloading / uploading, and have ~2+Mb down and 1+Mb up they wont have
any lag in ether version unless you have an extremely slow cpu(more than 4 years old and low end).

if its something you are going to do regularly, i highly suggest just setting the local server up, it is pretty quick and painless to just get it running, and then you can set up the server.cfg file how you guys like it.

if you open the game and hit start server it will launch with the default settings everytime and if thats what you want, thats great and will work.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 02:52:04 am »

You won't even need fast internet connection if your plan is to do an ordinary LAN setup where everyone comes to your house with their PCs and you connect them locally.

Running the server and a client on the same PC might be possible if your system is good enough, but if it allready struggles to play GES on high Framerates all the time, having an additional demanding process on it won't be a good idea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up