GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:44:07 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: need help spreading the love  (Read 10225 times)

WatchMyTrace

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • WatchMyTrace has no influence.
need help spreading the love
« on: January 11, 2010, 10:13:53 am »

hey I've been away for quite some time overseas.  I'd liuke to start up GES on a Lan with some friends of mine but I am the only one who has a copy of the game. Our internet connection out here is deplorable and almost non  existent and I regrettably deleted the installer long ago.  Is there a way i can copy the files from my Steam folder into someone elses? if so could I get list of them? are they all in the GES folder or are some essential files elsewhere aswell?

Also I'd like to try to get LAN going and I havent found any definate explaination of how to do this, and help? 

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: need help spreading the love
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:22:02 pm »

Just copy the mod's directory tree and restart Steam.  It will appear for all Steam accounts on that machine.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 02:44:47 pm »

Just copy the mod's directory tree and restart Steam.  It will appear for all Steam accounts on that machine.
And you will still require 2 legal copies of Half-Life 2 8)

PS: Oh and the Orange Box SDK, which I don't know if you can even copy that... In the case you run Linux you can just copy paste your entire Wine folder ::) But most n00bs still use Windows ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 02:46:40 pm by V!NCENT »

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 04:00:34 pm »

You don't need Orange Box SDK unless you are mapping.  Just an Orange Box game to grant you a license to download and run the engine.

Most noobs think operating systems are black and white.  Linux for desktopping, Windows for gaming.  Goldeneye Source (Beta 4 WIP at least) likes to crash under Wine; something to do with the HUD I think.  I can dev and trial my scenarios under Linux, but I can't play it for fun or betatest without returning to Windows.

No sense in copying though; install Steam on an NTFS drive in Windows, then msiexec Steam and make a symbolic link from your Wine Steam directory to the NTFS installation.  Works good man; no duplicating of many gigs, config files, etc.  Probably don't even need to actually install Steam to Wine, but I did to ensure registry keys are established.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 04:16:03 pm »

The account that it will be played from must have a bought Source game on it and therefore own Source SDK.

The machine that it will be played from must have Source SDK Base 2007 installed.

Aside from that you should just be able to copy your gesource directory from steamapps/source mods/ to the steamapps/source mods/ folders on all the other machines.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:06:36 pm »

AFAIK, the source game doesn't need to be a Orangebox engine game anymore, since valve released the sdk base 2007, you're able to play OB/EP2 engine mods, no matter which engine version your source game is.

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 05:14:29 pm »

Goldeneye Source (Beta 4 WIP at least) likes to crash under Wine; something to do with the HUD I think.
Check the 'source games crashes' bug reports and the comments on how to work around it. Hasn't crashed on me since... And the NTFS link is Bad (TM), which can also lead to crashes. Have you tried Wine 1.1.36? Since 1.1.35 things are starting to work really well. 1.1.36 has better shader support and a lot of other fixes ;)

Linking to your Windows drive is always bad. I think it has something to do with the registry not being read out? :-\

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 01:51:03 am »

I'm still on Wine 1.1.35, but the problem is very specific for me.  It runs fine until I hit tab to show the scoreboard (95%+ chance of a crash) or touch a pickup after we added the custom pickup pictures. (Seems to happen more in certain parts of certain maps, other areas it never crashes.)

WatchMyTrace

• Secret Agent
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 05:24:22 pm »

The account that it will be played from must have a bought Source game on it and therefore own Source SDK.

The machine that it will be played from must have Source SDK Base 2007 installed.

Aside from that you should just be able to copy your gesource directory from steamapps/source mods/ to the steamapps/source mods/ folders on all the other machines.

Thanks thats all I really needed to know, just a matter of copying the folder from one computer to another.  yeah don't worry we are using legit copies of HL2 / TF2. 

Now there is just the matter of getting a LAN going without using the internet at all,  we tried doing this for L4D but it proved to be a huge headache.

Might I add that since being away from a decient internet connection i have really developed a great dislike for steam, not bheing able to play a game that you actually bought and own legit because your not logged in or it needs updates (even in offline!?) is bullshit

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 08:14:04 pm »

It runs fine until I hit tab to show the scoreboard (95%+ chance of a crash) or touch a pickup after we added the custom pickup pictures. (Seems to happen more in certain parts of certain maps, other areas it never crashes.)
What video card + driver do you use? Do you have enough available RAM allocated by Wine for you graphics card? If not, change that first (just type regedit from the console, yeah really).

Furthermore isn't it just a bad/non implemented function? Try launching GES from the console and read out the last output lines before/during the crash. Maybe there are some FIXME's or stubs?

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 11:15:22 pm »

I updated Wine to 1.1.36 and now not even Steam works.  Five stars.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 11:55:31 pm »

I told you it wasn't GE:S

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 01:09:40 am »

Left 4 Dead ran fine.  Shit FPS but it ran.  Somehow L4D is less stressful than GES?

WatchMyTrace

• Secret Agent
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 08:42:29 am »

uh yeah thanks i guess.  I don't really know anything about Wine and i have never needed it to use it all im trying to do is set up a LAN game can anyone point me in the right direction for how to do this?

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 11:15:23 am »

Should be very simple, just create a server either by using the ingame "create server" option or by creating a dedicated server as usual, but without sv_lan 0.
While option #1 is for a quick match hosted by one of the ppl who take part in the match, option #2 should be used if you're planning to create a server not only for one or a few matches and there's a PC dedicated only to run servers.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up