GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 01:59:15 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: [GAMEMODE] Thunderball  (Read 15209 times)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: [GAMEMODE] Thunderball
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 09:05:01 pm »

What I meant by a distance bound was that it shouldn't be like the sniper rifle. Have a max radius about which you MAY pass the thunderball via hit-scan methods. This would make it fairer to the receiver who wouldn't all of a sudden get the thunderball from someone in the watch tower of runway whilst they are just spawned in the cargo area.

I, of all people, advocate NO physics based weapons, its just a god damn mess.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 09:08:07 pm »

It's not like you can expect dodging physics objects to work in Source Engine.  It's not like the engine was optimized for hitscan at the expense of physics or anything.  It's not like the Thunderball won't just bounce off of a bottling tank and then you're waiting for it to respawn on you so you can try again.  It's not like the guy spamming +use on the door won't trap you with a physics ball that can't fit through the gap in the wiggling door while a hitscan could clip his elbow and give you a chance to get rid of it.  It's not like it's not like it's not like, or anything, or anything.

Trying to out-sarcasm the VC, someone's bucking for position.

If you don't allow unlimited passing range, then you have to do something about the fuse.  The simple solution is to keep the pin in the grenade until the first pass, but then someone can just sit on it all day.  Trying to automate it by starting the timer when a player gets within pass range takes a lot of math, but could be made practical if handled judiciously.  You still have the problem of the enemy simply running away while out of range, though.  That's a big enough problem with two-man Living Daylights on even small maps like Facility.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 09:20:55 pm »

Your retort is enlightening. This will require some play testing to get right... and yes we need to hire more griefers

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 09:24:48 pm »

Should I get a hold of Weclock and Boris?
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 01:40:26 am »

This gamemode is going to be kick ass. Thanks you for writing up Andrew. :)

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 01:34:59 am »

Main problem i see with this is the fact that the Thunderball holder will be absurdly easy to avoid unless you're unlucky enough to spawn near him.  instead of saying "LOL HERE'S THE GUY YOU NEED TO AVOID"  on the radar with a nice yellow dot, perhaps remove him from it entirely.  This makes it difficult to track the Thunderball holder, but easy to identify him as he'll appear in areas which the radar identifies as vacant.

I suppose a very very slight movement speed increase for the TB holder would be out of the question, wouldn't it. It would be pretty cool to see the TB randomly change colors (maybe a preset of 3 colors like green, yellow and red) as the clock counts down. That way, it adds a little more of "just how much longer do I have?" type of mindset.

My other thing would be the obvious "what about campers?" gripe. Would/could there be some sort of penalty for the TB holder for camping out in a spot? One thing that could combat that (and I don't know how good it could work) would be to add some ambient lighting to the ThunderBall in order help players notice where the holder is after a set amount of time if he/she/it doesn't move.

Just some thoughts.
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!

andrewjneis

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • andrewjneis has no influence.
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 07:45:44 am »

about Campers-

Well, I'm not too sure why you would camp with the thunderball, considering it wouldn't serve you well unless there were a lot of players in the map, then you could find prey easily for kills and pass of the thunderball before it goes off. But this doesn't work with lesser amounts of players because you risk holding the thunderball when it goes off/not being able to find someone to pass it to.

Remember the rules I mentioned for the strength game I make the students in my Parkour Class play? If they end up with hot potato, then only that student has to do pushups, while if any student misses/drops the ball or falls off the balance beam, then all the students have to do pushups? That rule is set in place so that they don't purposely "miss" a catch when time's up. I in fact had to add another rule a few weeks ago:

If you hold the ball for more than 4 seconds, you (single student) have to do half the amount of normal pushups.
That was to prevent them from holding the ball and then hot potatowning select students. (This was just to avoid conflict between students and keep fairness in the classroom environment. However, it's different for a video game so this rule wouldn't apply.)

So what if, to prevent camping, the clock counts down twice as fast if you start camping?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:46:34 am by andrewjneis »

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 01:03:30 pm »

I'm confused.  Isn't doing pushups a good thing?  That's the whole point of training, you do shit that makes you strong so you can headbutt your way through steel walls and weak girly men who are between you and the freezer case.

I think cooking the Thunderball will prove to be a useful strategy, since there is risk involved (increased chance of it blowing up on you, giving points to the last holder, or taking yours if you never threw it, and increased chance of a fumble since a standing target takes a lot of damage in GES) to balance being in control of the ball and having the opportunity to throw it on the fuse alert to hopefully ensure that the person you pass it to won't have time to relay it, since that is required for you to get points.

Adding a penalty for holding it is bad, simply because of the frequency of the situation that player X is in an empty region of the map and needs to go on walkabout just to find player Y or Z.  Already it is possible to get fucked simply because the fuse might run out before you find anyone.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 03:29:54 pm »

OK, so I just wasted two hours trying to break tokens up into melee and gun based tokens. Needless to say it didn't work. Here is my second idea:

The Thunderball is a melee weapon at heart, however, a new weapon event "OnTokenAttack( token, position, aiming )" is called whenever a token is fired and a custom trace is performed within python "GEUtil.Trace( start, finish, TRACE_PLAYERS, ignore )" to see if it hits a player. (GEUtil.Trace returns the entity it hits if successful) If it does hit the player, the token is transferred to that player GEMPGameRules.GetTokenMgr().TransferToken( token, player ) and a particle effect is emitted on that player in the effect of a blue shroud of light.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 04:29:54 pm by killermonkey »

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 07:12:26 pm »

The Thunderball is a melee weapon at heart, however, a new weapon event "OnTokenAttack( token, position, aiming )" is called whenever a token is fired and a custom trace is performed within python "GEUtil.Trace( start, finish, TRACE_PLAYERS, ignore )" to see if it hits a player. (GEUtil.Trace returns the entity it hits if successful) If it does hit the player, the token is transferred to that player GEMPGameRules.GetTokenMgr().TransferToken( token, player ) and a particle effect is emitted on that player in the effect of a blue shroud of light.

and thats why I will never learn to code. Its so damn confusing.

I hope this game mode becomes real.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 08:43:57 pm »

You think that's confusing?

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 12:46:43 pm »

I've known about this thread for a while but finally took the time to read Andrew's scenario.  I think it would be a fun game mode but I'm unsure if the time spent making it would be worth it.  A particle effect and a bomb object would have to be created.  Then after that, you would have to decide on other things like how far you can shoot the bomb and problems like the fuse going off in midair.
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

andrewjneis

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • andrewjneis has no influence.
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 04:53:42 am »

Any updates on the progress of this gamemode?

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 10:10:49 pm »

Probably abandoned Andrew.
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 106
  • WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!
    • Euphonic.dev
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 07:07:19 pm »

I've had plans similar to this one, using a transferring mechanic via a golden gun that does no dmg. It's a lot of just finding a way to make it enjoyable with varying numbers of players with different skill levels.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up