GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 04:04:24 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Guards  (Read 45855 times)

DrDean

• Model Man
  • Retired Developer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 51
  • DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.
Guards
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:01:42 pm »

Just a light thing I started on today. I've never been confident in my sculpting skills so I'm turning to a program called Marvelous Designer to simulate the cloth. Always wanted to try a larger project with it, too. From there I'll get a low poly, retopologize it in 3DS Max, model out the rest of him, do a bake, fix everything up, and hopefully it won't look like garbage if I make it that far.

I'm more fooling around with it at this stage. This is what I have currently along with the pattern I set up.

It looks very tight right now and I'll definitely need to fiddle with the fabric properties to something a bit heavier, seems a bit more like light cotton right now. My biggest fear is that it won't fit in with the rest of the models currently in GE:S, so the larger the folds the better. Haven't actually started the collar yet and I've yet to do the boots. The belt/suspenders (webbing?) are also causing me some trouble, but again those aren't final. Nothing's final. Except death and taxes.

I think an interesting concept would be to have randomized heads modeled off the developers, just like in the old days. Nobody here gets enough credit in my opinion. Easily done with bodygroups but would need to be coded in - and I'd probably look into something like 3D scanning for that because I'm definitely not going to try modeling 15 heads by myself. Something to think about in the future when this guy's near-finished, maybe. Might not also fit the style of the rest of the models.

For the curious, this is what it looks like pre-simulation.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:10:23 pm by DrDean »

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
Re: Guards
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 08:57:04 pm »

It would be great to have bots as random guards and have them act in a similar fashion to the original Goldeneye if combined with a survival mode, it would be like when you used to fire off a few rounds in Facility and the guards would all come running, great fun :)

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 11:52:59 pm »

Wow, looks awesome. Having dev heads as guards has been an idea for years, we're just obviously very short (read: none) on character modelers. If you want to take a crack at character modeling (which it seems you already have), you'd be more than welcome on the team, I'm sure.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 02:47:53 am »

looking good so far :)
i look forward to seeing more of your work :D

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 07:01:15 am »

Interresting approach.

As for developers heads.... LOL i didn't even manage to get the reference pics for the head of the moonraker elite yet.
Also not sure if everyone on the team would like to have his face on a character.
I mean it would be a very strange feeling if you play the game and shoot at someone that has your face.

Maybe we should make a thread where ppl can post their own faces (reference pics, front and side view).
The most suitable ones might appear on a character someday.

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 10:22:47 am »

You could have the option to upload images of your face, move and scale them to the head and then save in your preferences, and then select to use your face as an option before starting... Also being able to customize your character in terms of outfit like Perfect Dark would be pretty awesome, I think character customization would be a great addition to the mod, although I think if even considered it wouldn't be any time soon :)

DrDean

• Model Man
  • Retired Developer
  • Secret Agent
  • DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 05:07:04 pm »

What a long day. Played around with the simulation a bit more and got it to a spot where I was satisfied, so I started on the low poly. Happy enough with for now. Next up will probably be what causes me to go into a blind rage - baking the normal maps.

I've not done human anatomy topology before so it's probably going to bite me in the ass when I go to rig it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:18:47 pm by DrDean »

Peroxwhy?gen

• GE:S Lifer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 06:57:44 pm »

Interresting approach.

As for developers heads.... LOL i didn't even manage to get the reference pics for the head of the moonraker elite yet.
Also not sure if everyone on the team would like to have his face on a character.
I mean it would be a very strange feeling if you play the game and shoot at someone that has your face.

Maybe we should make a thread where ppl can post their own faces (reference pics, front and side view).
The most suitable ones might appear on a character someday.

That is something i'd definitely apply for. :P

I SHOOT YOU FUCKING 16 PP7 SHOOTS AND YOU DONT DIE MAN

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 06:35:09 am »

As for the topology, just make sure to have enough edge loops arround the hinge areas and you should be fine.

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 07:18:49 am »

@DrDean, good work, man!
Maybe you will be the character artist we all have been waiting for. you know, skill comes with practice.
We need guards, Xenia and Natalya

by the way: I've found some great portfolio of someone called matthew harris. Is this guy still around here?

http://www.conceptibot.com/p/gallery.html

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 08:57:52 am by The Cy »
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 05:58:36 pm »

Matt Harris was an awesome concept artist for us! I need to get in touch with him because he also did some excellent work for some levels like Jungle, Train, etc.

DrDean

• Model Man
  • Retired Developer
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 05:11:26 pm »

Here is an update for the sake of an update. Baked the high poly body into a normal and ambient occlusion map for the low poly. Straight from xNormal, have to fix a fair number of things in Photoshop. I'll be sculpting the high poly models for all the other parts' normal maps in Mudbox separately.

xNormal seems to be shrinking the torso's bake for some reason, should look more like this:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 05:55:00 pm by DrDean »

Peroxwhy?gen

• GE:S Lifer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 06:16:26 pm »

Here is an update for the sake of an update. Baked the high poly body into a normal and ambient occlusion map for the low poly. Straight from xNormal, have to fix a fair number of things in Photoshop. I'll be sculpting the high poly models for all the other parts' normal maps in Mudbox separately.

xNormal seems to be shrinking the torso's bake for some reason, should look more like this:

Now that looks very good!!!! I really hope you stick with Making Player Models for GE:S! WE NEEEEEEED YOUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!

I SHOOT YOU FUCKING 16 PP7 SHOOTS AND YOU DONT DIE MAN

Jonathan Dark

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Jonathan Dark has no influence.
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 11:38:56 am »

Really nice work! Keep on!

StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138]

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138] barely matters.StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138] barely matters.
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 05:13:12 am »

If we can get random heads on guards, we need to because they did that not onl in the original goldeneye, but also in perfect dark, PD XBLA and the cancelled GE XBLA (you can did pics of a debs head next to a guards he's in the facility showing that it's him) It could be easier to have multiple textures for one head model but it would look out of place compared to all the other heads being modeled to the texture.
The suit itself is looking great right now, I hope you'll be able to get in a few characters without losing interest and/or time to make because that's why there haven't been new characters, like the Alec (Janus) head from like 2011 or something, the guy couldn't work on it anymore and didn't upload what he had.
Don't ask, Stupid Mario Brothers is a YouTube series that I love to watch, and most likely you probably read my username as "SuperMarioBros1Fan" at some point. Yes I get that question a lot since this isn't the only account with this name. ::)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up